1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,133 Posts
I use Metalform and fatory Colt mags - both with metal followers - in my Super, and they work great.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Non-skirted metal followers, the folded Devel type (e.g. CMC) will gouge the feed ramp of an alloy framed 1911 (e.g. Kimber CDP).

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think Tripp makes a follower that has a metal skirt and a plastic top, so the sides wear better, and the bullet ramp thingy has less friction for stripping of the next round...:rock:

·
Registered
740 Posts
bushman66 said:
I prefer the modern Wilson follower to the old Colt steel follower and have NEVER worn a Wilson follower out in thousands of competition rounds...
Some swear that the dimpled original follower is required but I too have had absolutely no trouble with thousands of rounds through Kimber Ultras and Colt Officers with the extended capacity Wilson magazines.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I prefer the plastic/polymer follower and was elated that my last Colt 38 supers came with them. They're the only kind I own now. The Wilson 38 super mags I purchased (several years ago) were great and functioned perfectly with no abnormal/excessive wear noted.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Supposedly, the mags with metal followers will dig into the feed ramp of 1911's with alloy frames. The last round feeding into the chamber will drive the metal follower into the feed ramp and leave a ding in it and eventually cause a depression there. I have no personal experience with this, but it sounds possible. Why take a chance?

·
Registered
740 Posts
ishootblanks said:
Supposedly, the mags with metal followers will dig into the feed ramp of 1911's with alloy frames. The last round feeding into the chamber will drive the metal follower into the feed ramp and leave a ding in it and eventually cause a depression there. I have no personal experience with this, but it sounds possible. Why take a chance?
If the metal follower is the "folded type" (aka the Devel type) like CMC uses (and therefor Kimber magazines until recently) then YES. I can tell you from exerience that it happens just the way you describe. Not a problem on a stainless gun, but it takes the finish off a coated gun and will did a nasty gouge in an alloy framed 1911. I have changed out all my followers of such type with a kit from Wilson that replaces the follower and spring (and in older magazines adds one round of capacity. Though the older (non-enhanced capacity) magazines don't have the folded folower (whos purpose was to provide room for the extra round).

The new Kimber magazines have a nice skirted metal follower that prevents frame damage.

There is a thread on this site with a photo of an alloy framed Kimber that is badly gouged in the feed ramp area.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Plastic follower.

I agree with plastic with a alloy frame. Especially in a Colt Defender. There is a guy on Ebay that sells spring and shooting star metal follower conversion kit that will make a 7 rnd mag into a 8 rnd. mag. He goes by ReddogXX I think. He sells 1911 parts on Ebay. Shooting Star brand is Chip Mikormick.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Beware

Beware of buying from ReddogXX or his new name Reddogalaskan. He is known for selling cheap copies of name brand gun parts. Many have complained of parts with Wilson, Ed Brown, etc. names stamped on them which are cheap, foreign made knock-offs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.