1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Because many people feel that tilting at windmills is a waste of time.

Robert

·
Registered
750 Posts
Growing up in California, most of my friends and neighbors were shooters, or at least mildly pro-gun. I would guess that the majority of Californians are at least neutral if not pro gun. Yet every year it seems gun control laws get more and more restrictive.
Honestly, I think the problem is apathy.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I don't want to sound like a party pooper but...

I've already planned on leaving the borderline communist state. I still try stay aware of what's happening in the state, but so many of our "representatives" have demonstrated they're immune to logic and facts that show their anti-gun stance is wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have voter referrendum in CA

We have voter referrendum in CA, so it should be easy? Maybe the NRA could sponsor the bill and get signatures. I think there should be exception to shoot high capacity in events like IPSC.

·
Registered
910 Posts
some gun owners are just whipped....

California, and a few other North Eastern States just can't seem to get enough gun controls, and the concept of freedom, or excercising a personal right without begging some useless idiot bureaucrat is beyond comprehension for them. Just talk to them, just waiting for the nannie state to give them directions, how many rounds in a magazine can they have, what they can own, what kind of drop test must the gun pass, etc. No price is too great to pay to get rid of bureaucrats such as these, yet gunowners must be voting for these people.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The NRA "should sponsor" and "get votes" for a referendum?

What about the gunowners in Cal. organizing a referendum to protect their own stinking rights, with the NRA's help!

Gunowners really need to get a reality check, no gun organization in their right mind is going to dump millions of dollars in a state when the citizens themselves aren't getting involved. Gunowners need to start standing up for themselves with a little political help and expertise from the gun organizations, rather then expecting others to fight their battles.

Gun control legislation doesn't drop from a spaceship, these bills are filed, discussed, amended, etc. through the legislative process, then finally voted upon, if the citizens who are being affected don't see the need to take action, whose to blame? Does the NRA need to put up a big billboard
telling gunowners they are about to get screwed by gun control, as apparently some gunowners cannot determine this by themselves?

·
Registered
97 Posts
major caliber said:
What about the gunowners in Cal. organizing a referendum to protect their own stinking rights, with the NRA's help!

Gunowners really need to get a reality check, no gun organization in their right mind is going to dump millions of dollars in a state when the citizens themselves aren't getting involved. Gunowners need to start standing up for themselves with a little political help and expertise from the gun organizations, rather then expecting others to fight their battles.

Gun control legislation doesn't drop from a spaceship, these bills are filed, discussed, amended, etc. through the legislative process, then finally voted upon, if the citizens who are being affected don't see the need to take action, whose to blame? Does the NRA need to put up a big billboard
telling gunowners they are about to get screwed by gun control, as apparently some gunowners cannot determine this by themselves?
+1

Sad but true.

However I do not think that the shooters in CA feel like they even have a chance at doing something. Thats the problem. If the NRA backed them a little more they would probably stand up and vice versa. They both really need to work together.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's just not a Cali issue

California just leads the other states with some time lag. You don't think it will happen to you, but look how waiting periods are spreading. OK, I know Nevada and Texas are safe for the forseable future. California gun control should be a national issue.

·
Registered
745 Posts
california leads

Barubus said:
California just leads the other states with some time lag. You don't think it will happen to you, but look how waiting periods are spreading. OK, I know Nevada and Texas are safe for the forseable future. California gun control should be a national issue.
everything seems to start in California and then move East, sort of like the weather. so you need to pay attention to California, cause it is a preview of coming attractions. Just ask an ex-smoker.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I live in Ca. and I would have to say the main problem is the redistricting. With district lines drawn by Democrats, who have the majority, the districts are heavily concentrated with either one party or the other. Therefore, only the primary election matters and we get the extreme from both parties. They can't lose in these districts so we get extreme Democrat bills that only the San Francisco elite want. Issues that have already passed by initiative ( marriage protection, border control, bi-lingual education ) with wide margins are routinely raised again by the Democrats in Sacramento. Prop. 77, if passed may fix that, if the judges don't void our vote again. I don't have any idea how to stop judges from legislating from the bench. Liberal lawmakers, judges, schools, Hollywood, and a Left leaning media are a tough combination.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Barubus said:
We have voter referrendum in CA, so it should be easy?
"Should be", yeah. Except very few people are willing to do anything to make that happen. I've had people say "Oh, that sounds great... I'll vote for it!" You're never going to get a chance to vote for it if it doesn't get qualified for the ballot! And it isn't going to get qualified without signatures! And, since we don't have a $50 million bankroll, the only way to get those signatures is to go out and get 'em. Oh, but that's too much work. Never mind. I'll just send an email to my representatives.

Speak now, or forever hold your peace. In a couple of weeks, I'll know if I'm going to be an LEO here. If that happens, most of these laws won't affect me any more. If it doesn't, I'm almost certainly going to move and start over somewhere else. Either way, with the feedback I've had so far, I'm going to quit worrying about this. I just wind up getting very irritated fighting for your rights that you can't be bothered to fight for. I'll have mine, and the hell with everyone else.

Don't like that? Think my attitude sucks? Then stand next to me. If I don't feel like I'm shouldering everyone elses burden for them, if you do your part, then I'm happy to fight for what's right. But if you tell me to go fight your fight for you, the fight ain't gonna be fought.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The NRA does nothing in Calif. They can go for the easy wins in Red States and still tell their members they're getting the job done every other week in all that junk mail they send out.

As mentioned, we have the initiative process here in PRK but it is very expensive to get an issue to ballot. All the liberal politicains could be bypassed in one fell swoop if somebody with deep pockets (NRA?) would pony up and fight. They might not win but I'd respect them a whole lot more. It would be nice to see the NRA make some kind of effort other than fundraising in Charlton Heston's home state.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Reno Sepulveda said:
The NRA does nothing in Calif. They can go for the easy wins in Red States and still tell their members they're getting the job done every other week in all that junk mail they send out.

As mentioned, we have the initiative process here in PRK but it is very expensive to get an issue to ballot. All the liberal politicains could be bypassed in one fell swoop if somebody with deep pockets (NRA?) would pony up and fight. They might not win but I'd respect them a whole lot more. It would be nice to see the NRA make some kind of effort other than fundraising in Charlton Heston's home state.
The NRA does pelnty of fighting in states all over the country. Could the NRA do more in California, absolutely.. However ultimately it is the responsibility of the citizens to change the political spectrum of their state.

You need to move the land of stars and bars anyways and call it a dadgum day brother...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm an NRA life member, i belong to the CRPA, i vote, i writer letters, i send e-mails to my representatives and sign petitions. I try to educate as many people as i can every chance i get. I'm willing to help gather signatures.

But you know what the real problem is? It's not apathy. It's not "Ignorance is bliss". It's not too many pinko-commies. It's partisan politics. I know lots of Dems who are gun owners and hunters. Yet they keep putting the anti's back into office. Why? Partisan politics. In the last governors election (the real election not that recall farce) I asked several different people "You're a hunter and gun owner. How can you vote for Gray Davis"? "Well i can't let the Republicans get into office. They don't care about the poor people. They're just for the rich". "So what you're telling me is, if Jesus Christ himself came back to earth and ran for office on the Republican ticket, you wouldn't vote for him because he was a Republican?" That's usally met with a blank stare and no answer.

I've been a registered Republican since i voted in my first election in 1972. But you know what? I'm not afraid to vote for a Demo if he (or she) is the best candidate. And untill people wake up and realize "I need to do what's best for my state, not my political party" things will never change.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
magsnubby said:
I'm not afraid to vote for a Demo if he (or she) is the best candidate. And untill people wake up and realize "I need to do what's best for my state, not my political party" things will never change.
Too true. There are plenty shooters in CA and many of them are died in the wool, card - carrying, lifetime Dems. They are gonna vote that way 'till they die. Most couldn't care less what the party platform on guns or anything else is. An awful lot of 'em would be absolutely shocked if anyone actually came for their guns. For the near future, they may be OK but they are creating a monster for their grandkids.

·
Registered
574 Posts
magsnubby said:
It's partisan politics.
This is definitely part of what's wrong with the state. I vote for anyone that I believe to be best qualified. I'm not a member of any political party, btw.:cool:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Like I say the inititiative process bypasses the politicians, liberal and conservative alike. What is required is a pro gun orginizition with lots of money to come in and educate non shooters. That takes $$$$ TV.

Several years ago I man came to my front door and asked me to help campaign for a Republican candidate for State Assembly. I'm a California Republican and pay attention to things and this candidate was unelectable at best and in fact utterly corrupt and told the man as much I asked him where he had gotten my name and address. From my good friends at the NRA that had decided to back this loser.

When it comes to California the NRA hasn't a clue.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts