1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first batch of 45 was 230FMJ with 4.5gr of bullseye, and went off without a hitch.

My second batch I tried some cast SWC loaded with 3.5gr and 4gr of bullseye and they were really smokey. Any guesses as to why? Is that just the nature of light loads or is it because I'm using lead bulletes instead of jacketed, or....?

I also loaded up a batch of 9mm FMJ with 3.8gr of bullseye (all out of the same jar) after that batch of 45's and they were not smokey so i think the powder is ok.

By smokey I mean every shot had a visible puff of greyish smoke.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
The lube on cast bullets makes the smoke. If it bothers you, stay with FMJ

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
:) The lube on the cast bullets cause the smoke. They also leave more fouling in and around the feed ramp. It is no big deal to clean off, but if you do not like it, you should probably use jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Of course, Bullseye is not cleanest burning powder either. If you can get your hands on some WST, give that a try. There will still be smoke from the lube as mentioned above, but WST seems to burn cleaner for me.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
It's due mostly to the lube and then the Bullseye powder. Some powders are dirtier with light loads too. Like others said you can use powders that are cleaner such as Clays or WST. However, expect some smoke when shooting lubed cast bullets no matter what powder or load you use.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks guys. It doesn't bother me, it just seemed strange.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Also, if you use "fast" powders with lead bullets and load up near max, you may get some light leading in the bore. Don't know if anybody else has had this happen or not. I used to use Unique (for years) and then switched to Clays (for economy and cleanliness) and started getting lead that was hard to clean out when I would push them near max loads. Went back to Unique and now shoot +P 's w/o any lead probs. Maybe it's just "my" prob, but thought I'd throw that out there. Tracy

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ditto most of whats been said. The combination of Bullseye and lead makes for pretty darn smokey loads. I used to use bullseye and a shooting buddy teased once that I must have been using black powder in my 1911

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had the same problem with multiple types of lead bullets and Titegroup. Try switching powders. I use WST now for almost no smoke. The ignition temperature of Titegroup was too hot which I believe was deforming the base of the bullet causing mild leading and smoke.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
To reduce smoke when using LSWC, use a fast and clean burning powder with good metering qualities. Clays, Red Dot and Vihtavuori N310/N320 are some good ones.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I use lead mainly because there cheaper. The only draw back is if your shooting a steel match and the wind is not blowing and you stay in the same spot to long :biglaugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts