1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range and tried some JHP's from winchester and had a big problem with nosediving causing FTF's. The mag I was using was stock Kimber magazine that had been loaded for about a month with out letting the spring rest. What causes this type of FTF? I hope it is something as simple as a weakend mag spring due to being loaded for an extended period of time.

Thanks, Robert.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have you taken it apart to clean? More specifically, is the spring in the right direction with the right side up? That is the most common cause that I'm aware of...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Usually, the cause is the follower in the mag. If you have a flat bottomed follower without a guide, the round tends to tip instead of strip.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got around to cleaning it yesterday and noticed...

A circular mark on the frame just below the feed ramp where the HP's where hanging up. Out of a hundred rds, I had about seven of these malfunctions. The winchester JHP's have a pretty well rounded nose, that I thought would feed well. I have taken the magazined apart but reassembled them correctly. I had the same problem with a Wilson Combac replacement spring and follower in a stock Kimber mag, and that was with a FMJ not a JHP. Are the Wilson mags better overall in this reguard? Has anyone had problems with nosediving with Wilson magazines? My Kimber is now relagated to gun cabinet duty until I can get in running reliably. I just don't trust it. My little Bulgarian Makarov has currently assumed defense duties, until the Kimber is up and running.

Robert.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You're not alone in this experience, my gun is also doing the nose dive on the ramp too for hollow points but does so only if the mags are full. This is the 8th round on wilsons. But hey, I think the best follower is the mc cormick mags. The 8 rounders dont nose dive, but wilson mags do for some reason. Just sharing my own experience

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jimbullet

I'm was using the stock seven round Kimber magazines, which are essentially the same as CMC mags to includ follower design. They have one hell of a strong spring also. The second round is the worst at nosediving wth the JHP's.

Robert.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Common cause of nosediving out of the magazine is round having too short overall length. McCormick mags have OAL specs on the package. I have found shorter rounds tend to nosedive in most mags. Good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
On the CMC mags, before I was even able to get to work at 8 rounds with no feed problems, I had to load the mag full and never let it go for quite a while, actually since I bought them, the only time that the springs got relaxed was when I shot it at the range....yes the springs are hard - this is the reason that I keep it full to weaken them, and after awhile, I found them the most reliable over the wilson 8 rounders, which even if I did these steps to weaken spring, the rounds still nose dive. So far I am happy with both my 10 and 8 rounder CMC mags, which I always keep full. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts