1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just picked up one in a trade, and the fit and finish is first rate. Slide reads;
"Made In Belgium"
"Assembled In Portugal"

Like I said the Fit and Finish is First Rate.

·
Registered
271 Posts
oops!

[This message has been edited by Gonzo308 (edited 06-03-2001).]

·
Registered
271 Posts
I don't know that there's a difference in quality per se it's just that the Herstal guns are more desirable. I had a mkIII that I loved and wish I'd kept now that I want to do some customizing and make a nice tactical 9mm and have been told it would be a bad idea to alter my Herstal silverchrome.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,011 Posts
Apparently, the Portugal connection ran out a couple of years ago; the guns are back to being built entirely in Belgium. My Potuguese-assembled Mk. III displays excellent workmanship.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
The ones assembled in Portugal are simply put together there from parts made in Belgium. As far as I know (I may stand corrected here) there was probably only the final fitting of certain parts, and I would bet the farm that FN ensured that anyone doing this at their plant there was up to "Belgium standards".

Ultimately, the quality and function of the finshed product speaks for itself - the MK III I have, and others I know of, are first rate out of the box.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Didn't the mkIII's go to a cast frame rather than the milled steel. As I understand it you can tighten the older HP's but the new ones will crack,also the new ones are much harder on the rockwell scale.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
The cast frame/slides seem to be somewhat tougher than the forged ones from what I have read - and I have not shot enough ammo through a HP to wear one out. There is much good input on this subject at the Forum on:
www.fnhipower.com

Use the search feature and run "cast" as a key word. Check out the headers like "assembled in Portugal", "cast vs forged" etc

To attempt to repeat all that was said on there would take too long

[This message has been edited by LAK (edited 07-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by LAK (edited 07-01-2001).]

·
Registered
637 Posts
I thought that I'd read that the Mark IIIs were assembled in Portugal up until 1997 or 1998. Then I went shopping.

I bought a basic Mark III Saturday and it is marked Assembled in Portugal. The two-letter code in the serial number is MZ, made in 2001.

My only complaint about the gun had to do with the 3 burrs on the face of the magazine disconnect. A little 800 grit paper took care of the scratches on the magazines and the gritty take-up. The trigger is really quite smooth after only 300 rounds. Not perfect, but usable for the time being.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts