1911Forum banner

why aren't there more 1911 in.40s&w

1725 13
I really like the 1911 plattforum and to be just a little different I like the .40 s&w round just like my P226 Why dont i see more of those pistols? And what manufactures should I really look at that got it right the first time, and any input you have would be great..thanks.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,396 Posts
I think it's because the 1911 is a large-framed gun, and the .40 is a medium-sized round. You can put .40 in a smaller gun, and the 1911 will accept larger and/or more powerful rounds, so it's sort of a "why"? .40 1911s are very common in practical pistol competition, in both single stack and hi-cap persuasion, but it's only a matter of wanting max capacity and cheap brass.

· Registered
954 Posts
I see the attraction of double stack 1911 style guns in .40 S&W for competition. I don't see the point of .40S&W in a 5" single stack 1911.

Now the 3" sub-compact .45s would make a lot sense in .40S&W because the 180gr .40 and 230gr .45 bullets have the same sectional density but .40 S&W will be 100-150fps faster from the same length barrel. People worry about velocity loss and inadaquate penetration with the sub-compact .45s, so the extra ~100 fps of the .40S&W would trade a slightly smaller hole for a velocity that should give very adaquate penetration.

--wally.

· Registered
129 Posts
I think Leatham said that the 1911 in 9mm was the ultimate cheat gun for competition. Why is the 38 super so popular?
I think that just as the 9mm sells in 1911, the 40 could not be far behind it.
John

· Registered
660 Posts
The reason many competitive shooters like the .40 caliber 1911 is to have something for Single Stack matches and the new provisional Single Stack division in USPSA that coordinates with the ammo and recoil dynamics they are used to shooting in their wide-body guns in the Limited division (about 95% of Limited shooters use a .40 because that's the minimum caliber allowed in that division and you can squeeze "more bullets" in the gun that way).

.38 Super is popular in USPSA Open division because it allows maximum capacity in wide-body guns and can be loaded to generate enough gas pressure to really make a compensator work correctly to virtually eliminate muzzle rise. .38 Super is also growing in popularity in the single-stack platform because reliable 10-round magazines have been available for years. The 1911 Society Single Stack match rules (and provisional USPSA rules) permit a max of 8 rounds in the mag for .45/.40 (with "major" scoring available if achieved over the chrono) and 10 rounds in the mag for 9mm/.38 Super (with "minor" scoring only). 1911s in 9mm are somewhat popular in IDPA's ESP division, but are not the best for Single Stack/USPSA SS (unless and until someone develops a reliable 10-round 9mm 1911 mag, which does not appear likely).

· Registered
412 Posts
I just started competing with my STI Trojan 1911 in 9mm two weeks ago in the Limited 10 division. My gun holds 9 plus 1. Once I got the mindset of performing a magazine change every four targets, I did not feel inhibited by leaving my hicap .40 at home. This is some of the greatest training that I have ever done...counting to four. Winchester White Box is cheap and you don't have to crawl around on the ground looking for "your" brass in the dead of Winter.

My last two classifiers, with a 9mm single stack, had higher scores than with a hicap. I have just converted my Limited Rig to L10 and am going to wring this little gun out....just don't miss too many A's.

· Registered
3,499 Posts
I've had this aversion to .40 since it first came out.

FBI wanted 10's so S&W made the 1076 for them. They complained about recoil (Awww, BOO HOO!). They asked for a lighter load. 180 at 950 insted of the full power 10. Mind you, the full power 10mm was chosen because it ranked highest in their tests. This "fed-lite" 10mm cartridge never even saw the FBI criteria for penetration/barriers etc.

ANYWAY, S&W said, "Hey, if we shorten the brass we can still get 950 fps with the same bullet but stuff it into 9mm sized guns!" The .40 S&W was born shortly thereafter.

All because the 10mm recoils too hard. Whatever! :barf: They touted it as a compromise cartridge. More shots than a .45 and more power than a 9mm. To be honest, I don't compromise. If I want lots of bullets, I go 9. If I want a .45 I'll damn well take a .45! :)

At it's inception, pistols in .40 S&W weren't that accurate and manufacturers (including Glock) found out you just can't swap slides.

Nowadays? I hate the .40 S&W less. Getting soft in my old age, I guess. Loads and guns have progressed. It also has a good record on the street. All that being said, I'll still never carry one. For me, the best thing to come out of the .40 S&W has been the .357 SIG! :rock:

I'd rather have 10+1 (when the new Tripp mags come out) in a single stack 9mm 1911 than 9+1 in .40

Heck, if I was ever given a .40 S&W 1911 the first thing I'd do is stuff a 10mm barrel into it and try to figure out a way to get rid of the ".40" on the slide.:p

My rant/2 cents yadda, yadda...

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,396 Posts
HiVelSword said:
Heck, if I was ever given a .40 S&W 1911 the first thing I'd do is stuff a 10mm barrel into it and try to figure out a way to get rid of the ".40" on the slide.:p

My rant/2 cents yadda, yadda...
When I bought my Delta Elite, the price tag said only "$700/convert to .40 with a barrel swap". Sort of like a Corvette, into which you can put a 4 cylinder engine . . .

· Registered
620 Posts
I have:

(1) - .40 Colt GM,
(1) - .38 Super Colt GM
and multiple .45s of K, C and SA brands.

The .40 was my first GM, funny that was 14 years ago, in the middle of the .40 craze and the old Bill's GS in Lilydale, MN wanted to get rid of it. It always shot factory ammo fine, but hick-upped on my reloads. Not a bad gun, but all my .45s are more accurate. The recoil of a .45 is more of a push, instead of the .40s snap (is that the higher pressure?). It only holds 8 rds in a std magazine, so theres no capacity advantage. Magazines are more expensive. Ammo is minimally cheaper.

Now, I understand the "why" question so many people have, especially anybody who has been shooting the .45 for any length of time. If I was looking at this gun in a gun case, at a similar deal, I would probably buy it again. It is a very good looking Colt. But if there was an identical .45 right next to it, I'd get the .45 and never look back.

If I wasn't so stubborn, I would have sold or traded this gun away long ago. Now, I couldn't bring myself to sell a Colt unless we needed food on the table. So, I'll shoot it once in a while just to enjoy, but I wouldn't trust it as my defense gun. Any of my .45s are fully worthy though.

My .02,
ss-gar

· Registered
3,499 Posts
RickB said:
When I bought my Delta Elite, the price tag said only "$700/convert to .40 with a barrel swap". Sort of like a Corvette, into which you can put a 4 cylinder engine . . .
:rofl:

Oh, that's good. Almost wet myself! :biglaugh: So true though.

I plan on getting another 10mm 1911 someday and two barrels. One in .357 SIG and one *sigh* in .40

If I ever get my arse in gear and start my own bussiness making ammo I'll have one test gun for three calibers. Not gonna bother with 9x25 as it's kinda rare.

· Registered
3,499 Posts
ss-gar said:
Hey Santa,

I'd like to get a 10mm barrel for that .40, and some mags too.

Thanks, I'll leave some JD and a little venison sausage for a snack.
Mmmm...venison sausage.....*drool*

Don't know what Santa likes but I'm a Knob Creek person. ;)

Jameson when I'm feelin' a bit Irish.

PS- Custom Combat Handguns has a Kasey Reeder 10mm longslide article in it. Nice but it has a light rail. Makes me wish I bought that AMT/IAI Javelina a few years back. Believe it or not, this was one of the guns that the QC guy was actually awake for before passing him on the conveyor belt. :biglaugh: Well, at least that ONE particular pistol.

Tough to find a decent AMT but they did exist. IMO the company would still be around had QC been up to snuff.

OK. My off-topic spew is done.

Wait! It's not so off-topic after all! Anyone remember the AMT "Skipper"?!?! A smallish 1911 in....*drumroll* .40 S&W!!!

A 1911 in .40 S&W called the Skipper.... Did anyone buy this? Would anyone admit it? :biglaugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.