1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I drop by this site from time to time to see what's going on in the 1911 world. I have been searching the net and found excellent reviews on the Commander Classic Bobtail. Words like accurate, excellent finish, tight, and great value are frequently used. I'm also looking at the Ed Brown Kobra Carry. I pose this question hoping someone on the board has/had both and can give an their opinion. Is the Ed Brown worth the extra 1 plus grand? I can afford either but don't make purchases just to have a certain brand name.

Thanks,

Charles

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Buy me the Cobra Carry, and I'll send you my CBOB... and PM 7 :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'm no 1911 expert, but I have shot a KC and I was actually going to get a SF carry, but this forum talked me into going with the DW. I don't feel like I have $1000 less gun. just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
I replaced an EB with a DW. I had never heard of DW's until I went looking for a new 1911. The local shop had a 07 CBOB and the rest is history. (see signature)

Wes

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I have a DW Commander Classic and an EB Special Forces Carry. I think the DW is the best value in a 1911 right now. Fit and finish are good and it is an accurate gun. However, the fit and finish of my Brown is a cut above. Also, the trigger on the Brown is better. So, IMHO, the Brown is a nicer pistol. The question is whether it is more than $1,000 nicer. That's a question only you can answer.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
"Why carry a 1911? Because life's too short to carry an ugly gun"

:biglaugh: I like that.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The fit and finish of the ED Brown leaves nothing to be desired. Depending on how discerning an individual you are the CBOB might. The CBOB has a lot of EB parts in it so it's not like you'll have to go replacing a bunch of lower quality parts. I have a Kobra Carry and love it. Maybe if I had been introduced to DW beforehand I would have gone with it to save some money and not look back, but if money isn't an issue, i'd get the Brown personally.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
For the cost of the Brown, you can get a CBOB, or TWO, and never look back. Excellent guns.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not held either. I guess a trip down to the local gunstore is in order to handle/compair.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
I've got two CBOB's and have actually gone to the gun store more than once with every intention of bringing a KC home, but every time I have it in my hand, I just can't bring myself to pay the extra grand for essentially the same thing I have at home. That's just MY opinion. I really like the way the KC is appointed with the snakeskin texturing etc, but that's not worth an extra $1,000 to ME. Like someone said before, only YOU can decide if that's the way it is or not for you.
Good luck! I don't think you have a wrong option to choose here. :rock:
Sarge

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
We have a hell of alot more fun over here pain meds. :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
"Buy me the Cobra Carry, and I'll send you my CBOB... and PM 7"

Look how quick YFZ is to throw his DW's to the curb :barf: :eek: Shamefull, Shamfull, slap yourself in the mouth and hang your head low :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Listen to Sarge, he is wise.

I own 3 DW's. I have handled several "higher end/cost" guns from Ed Brown, Nighthawk and Wilson (because that is what is available around here); and for me they just aren't worth the extra $$$. My very humble opinion.

·
Banned
290 Posts
For the cost of the Brown, you can get a CBOB, or TWO, and never look back. Excellent guns.
That is exactly my thought. I thought about the Ed Brown a lot, and the Nighthawk Talon II bobtail even more, but after all the reading I did I decided to try the DW Classic. The DW Classic has everything I wanted; (1) series 70, (2) night sights, (3) commander slide on government frame, (4) bobtail, and last but not least (5) no mim parts.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have 2 Ed Brown KC's and a DW 10mm Cbob Classic. I love the 10mm Cob, but you do get what you pay for.

With the CBob you actually get more pistol for your 1K. With the EB KC you get what you pay for.

Both my Browns have been smooth as glass straight out of the range pouch. You can really tell the difference between the ED Browns and the DW CBob when you dry fire them side by side. There is a very big trigger difference to me. But, maybe not to you.

I do shoot the DW 10mm CBob all the time though, way more than the Ed's. I think it is just the 10mm thing though.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
If I was willing to spend the kind of money it takes to get an Ed Brown, NO QUESTION that is what I would buy. CBOB is a poor man's EB IMO. They are an excellent value, but Ed's are the real deal.

I also attach the adjective "picky" to my CBOB, it is the only 1911 I have that does not gobble up anything I thow in the mag.

·
Banned
290 Posts
If I was willing to spend the kind of money it takes to get an Ed Brown, NO QUESTION that is what I would buy. CBOB is a poor man's EB IMO. They are an excellent value, but Ed's are the real deal.
What does it mean to be "real deal"? My CBOB shoots the same bullets and makes the same damages as the EB. Also, because I went with DW I was able to purchase two instead of one EB, just in case :rock:

I also attach the adjective "picky" to my CBOB, it is the only 1911 I have that does not gobble up anything I thow in the mag.
Maybe you should break it in a little more, mine has shot anything - WWB FMJ, WWB JHP, and GDHP. There is actually a thread on the Ed Brown forum where an EB owner was having problems with his KC (I believe) feeding HPs and EB pretty much told him tough luck!

With that in mind, do you I think the EBs are great guns? Off course!!! But if I were in the market for a $2000+ gun, I would probably go with a nice fully custom Fusion, Volkmann or Nighthawk.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
If you have to ask why the Ed Brown is better than a DW, then you obviously haven't shot a semi custom gun of that sort. Better craftsman ship, more attention to detail, hands down. If you shoot a fair amount on a regular basis, one can indeed feel the difference. If you are just going to carry it and not shoot much, than the difference will be lost on you.

At the same time, your logic of buying two guns of exactly the same model instead of buying one really nice one is lost on me. There are too many fine 1911's two have capital tied up in duplicates IMO.

My CBOB is broken in. It had 200-300rds through it before I bought it. I put 200 through it and found some issues (bad smithing gone wrong, not the gun's fault), it went back to DW and was straightened out by Keith himself, and I have about 300 through it since it got back. The issue is from the tight chambers of the match barrels DW uses. It feeds factory ammo ok, but is really picky about reloads...reloads that my SA TRP and GI have eaten a couple thousand rounds of w/out a hitch. Its picky, some guns aren't, mine is. That's just the nature of the beast when you by guns like this that are built to tight tolerances.

I like it enough to keep it, trust it with factory ammo enough to carry it. But in comparison to my SA TRP, a gun of comperable quality and price, I'm slightly disappointed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts