1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've owned a good number of firearms over the last 10 years and I've made sure to try out a wide range of models and mechanisms along the way. With handguns, I've determined that 1911's and DA revolvers are my go-to favorites.
I have desperately wanted to like the Hi Power and on paper it should be a top pistol purchase for me. However I've owned an FEG variation and a surplus Browning variant (one of the aluminum framed versions that came from Israel maybe?).
While both pistols felt great in my hand and familiar from a control perspective, shooting both was an underwhelming experience. Neither shot well for me, trigger on the FEG was the heaviest trigger I've ever experienced in firing well over 100 handguns, even the shop that sold it to me laughed out loud at the trigger. Safeties weren't positive and lacked confidence, sights were standard fair for an older service revolver but weren't necessarily updated easily. Slide bite got me on both pistols and the magazine ejection was pretty slow moving.
So am I just not meant for the hi power scene or have I been playing with the wrong pistols? Is there an example of the hi power that represents the increased capacity 1911-esque pistol I'm searching for or am I better saving my pennies and pursuing something like the DW DWX (if it ever arrives) or really saving and selling a few guns for a Wilson EDC-X9? I'm certainly not well versed on the hi power and have struggled with each effort to get familiar so help me out! Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, the good news is that you can pick up a used edc x9 rather easily. It’s the finest carry gun ever made, imho. Even more popular on the resale circuit is staccato, theypop up almost every week. You should look at those too. I will say that it’s not very common to hear someone talk about hi powers and edc x9 in the same sentence.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the good news is that you can pick up a used edc x9 rather easily. It’s the finest carry gun ever made, imho. Even more popular on the resale circuit is staccato, theypop up almost every week. You should look at those too. I will say that it’s not very common to hear someone talk about hi powers and edc x9 in the same sentence.
I imagine not, but there are some similarities! However there are a good number of comparable features. I've seen the staccato 2011's as well. I guess I'll just have to save my pennies and accept that the hi power may be more of a collectable for me. Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
I imagine not, but there are some similarities! However there are a good number of comparable features. I've seen the staccato 2011's as well. I guess I'll just have to save my pennies and accept that the hi power may be more of a collectable for me. Thanks

I’ve been curious about the HP as well. But I believe the collector status and the ‘pandemic’ has pushed the price up to all time highs. So it’s going to stay a curiosity to me for quite some time.

did I mention that the edc x9 is the finest carry gun of all time yet? :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Slide bite got me on both pistols and the magazine ejection was pretty slow moving.
So am I just not meant for the hi power scene or have I been playing with the wrong pistols?
After firing 5 rounds on a buddies '72 High Power, I was hooked. Never looked back.
My shooting buddy is not attracted to them at all. Prefers a DA/SA Bersa.
They are not for everyone. They are only High Powers...

Or perhaps you have been playing with bad examples in need of some care, new springs, etc...

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
342 Posts
True HP are fine pistols and a great choice for carry/defense etc. It has become a staple in proven combat pistols. I would try the latest MKIII version if you can fine one. With a little work, you can improve the trigger a great deal (remove the mag disconnect) and put a set of trigicon night sights and you are good to go. Very reliable, one of the finest pointing pistols and a classic. Are there guns just as good as the HP, sure. but you are hard pressed to find another pistol I would consider better (subjective). Just my $.02

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,390 Posts
Bad triggers will steer me away from many guns. My HP, a stock Mk. III, has a quite nice trigger, better than a buddy's HP that's had a trigger job, and if that weren't the case, I probably would have move on, as well.
The safety on the newer guns is very usable, easy to reach, if not as positive as a good 1911 safety.
Virtually all the shooting I do is timed competition, and reloading the HP quickly can be a challenge, as the sharp corners of the mag result in a bit of a 'square peg" sensation, the mag having to be precisely aligned to seat smoothly.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
If I was simply REQUIRED BY LAW or stupid circumstance to carry a 9x19mm auto for personal defense, I'd eventually end up with a well set-up P-35. The ones with so-so accuracy aren't as easily helped as the 1911s, but they CERTAINLY can be improved.
Removing the silly Nader-esque magazine disconnect, which renders the weapon inoperative without a magazine in it, often does WONDERS for bad triggers. If removing the M.D. is not enough, there are still things that can be done for it. Extended thumb-safeties are a relatively simple fix for the stock one, also.
The pistol is already expensive, and the mods I mention (except M.D. removal, which can be done at home) are generally more costly than similar work on 1911s. At the end of all of it, you'll have what is among the finest 9x19mm personal defense pistols still available.
I've shot enough different "wonder-nines" to fill a regulation sized bathtub. I've never shot better with one than I did with a well-maintained Browning P-35.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've removed the mag disconnects on my two high powers. Marginally decreased the trigger pull weight, and the mags now freely pop out. The latter is why I removed the disconnects.

The HP trigger is what it is. It's heavy relative to a 1911, but it's a different gun. It doesn't really bother me when I shoot it. To me the HP is a great pistol- points well for me and I shoot it relatively well for rapid fire point shooting at 7 - 10 yards. Hammer bite has never been a problem for me.

Everyone gets hung up on triggers, as if the trigger is an insurmountable fault if it's greater than 4.5 pounds and doesn't break like a glass rod. I've shot a lot with revolvers, J frames in particular, so I guess I've never been hung up on a 7-8 pound SAO trigger.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Perhaps I have not given the BHP a fair trial: only one example; had a trigger-job done; not impressed - though not difficult to please, the one BHP not pleasing*. Lately a couple of shooting buddies had me try the awesome triggers of their BHPs. So I now know it can be made good. That written ...

... In the 20yrs I’ve owned that BHP, when wanting something with the good points of a BHP AND a decent trigger, I’ve bought examples from the CZ75 family. Even the DA/SA triggers are quite nice; until participating in a marketing study including the Walther PPQ, the CZs were the best DA/SA triggers in my [ fairly extensive ] experience. More, my CZs have a true safety, not the aptly named alternative. So they can be carried condition 1; and charging the chamber leaves the hammer cocked. You need never use the DA-mode.

*- Intending to use it for teaching, disabling the magazine “safety” to further improve the trigger was not an option: my host ranges and underwriter wouldn’t like the liability risk. But I could do it for my personal use.

Reactions: rellascout

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I would respectfully disagree. The EDCX-9 is a very good 1911 like gun. It is overly thick in the grip area for its, size and caliber. It is also very top heavy. The bore axis is high and it shoots very similar to a P series Sig. It has a lot of 1911 parts but it does not feel anything like a 1911 in the hand. It it accurate but at defense distances mechanical accuracy of the pistol rarely matters. On the belt again the thickness of the grip area can be a problem. All in all it is a good gun. For the price you pay $2600-2800 depending how you ordered it I think there are better options. I own one. I carry it sometimes. It rides in a Warbird Tactical custom leather IWB holster.

However more often that not I run a Alloy BHP done for me by Don Williams. This guns holds the same number of rounds. It is just as accurate. It is slimmer in the hand and in the holster in everyway. It points naturally for me and I can run the gun as well as any 1911 and better than the EDCX-9. In the end there is no single "best" anything in the world of guns. What is perfect for you is not perfect for me. Also I have less in the Don Williams Alloy then I do in the EDCX-9. ;)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I've removed the mag disconnects on my two high powers. Marginally decreased the trigger pull weight, and the mags now freely pop out. The latter is why I removed the disconnects.

The HP trigger is what it is. It's heavy relative to a 1911, but it's a different gun. It doesn't really bother me when I shoot it. To me the HP is a great pistol- points well for me and I shoot it relatively well for rapid fire point shooting at 7 - 10 yards. Hammer bite has never been a problem for me.

Everyone gets hung up on triggers, as if the trigger is an insurmountable fault if it's greater than 4.5 pounds and doesn't break like a glass rod. I've shot a lot with revolvers, J frames in particular, so I guess I've never been hung up on a 7-8 pound SAO trigger.
I think people get hung up on triggers and trigger weight. I personally like clean and consistent over breaks like a glass rod. So many people are in search of the shortest rest possible. They want no movement in the trigger before it fires and no movement before it resets. I do not need my triggers to be on and off switches. I am not a competition shooter making my living off of shooting so that type of trigger is not necessary for my purposes.

For me I want a trigger with predictable trigger with a reasonable weight. I can run DA/SA with 8lb DA triggers just fine. As an example my CZ 75B or LTT Beretta Compact both fit he bill. After that 8lb pull there is a perceivable reset and a clean SA. Both have had trigger jobs. CGW and then Langdon respectively. The thing that the trigger job got me more than anything else was clean and consistent. I still run a lot of DA/SA guns because it teaches you to stage the trigger and run the gun. If you can run a DA/SA gun you can run a, revolver, Glock or a 1911 with no issues. If all you ever shoot it glass rod breaking 1911s in SA you may not have the skills to run a DA/SA gun. IMHO

The mag disconnect removal on a BHP is double edged sword. When you remove it the trigger pull smooths out a bit. It does not drop the weight by as much as people think but it feels cleaner with less resistance which mentally translates to lower weight in the mind but in my experience the trigger scale tells me something different. The downside to the mag disconnect removal is that the trigger reset gets vague. I always recommend increasing the weight of the trigger return spring to counter balance this. I personally like my BHP triggers in the 4lb range which is achievable. I have found when you try to get lower you run the risk of hammer follow and compromised reliability. YMMV

Reactions: dmthomp32

·
Registered
724 Posts
Perhaps I have not given the BHP a fair trial: only one example; had a trigger-job done; not impressed - though not difficult to please, the one BHP not pleasing*. Lately a couple of shooting buddies had me try the awesome triggers of their BHPs. So I now know it can be made good. That written ...

... In the 20yrs I’ve owned that BHP, when wanting something with the good points of a BHP AND a decent trigger, I’ve bought examples from the CZ75 family. Even the DA/SA triggers are quite nice; until participating in a marketing study including the Walther PPQ, the CZs were the best DA/SA triggers in my [ fairly extensive ] experience. More, my CZs have a true safety, not the aptly named alternative. So they can be carried condition 1; and charging the chamber leaves the hammer cocked. You need never use the DA-mode.
I have 3 different CZ Compact models, each has been through CajunGunWorks to improve the triggers. I prefer the SA pull on my High Powers with the BHSS trigger to all of them. Heck, after some tweaking, I preferred the pull with the C&S Wide Combat trigger to the CGW/CZ trigger. I guess I’m just an SA guy, although the DA pull is quite nice on my CZs.

There ARE things you can do to improve the High Power. I like the new trigger quite a bit, with or without the magazine eject assist spring. I also like the SFS mod. - hammer down cocked and locked which also improves the trigger a bit and further simplifies disassembly. Not to mention full relief from hammer bite. And fresh springs as needed, to keep them in top shape.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Com'on....not everything is for everyone....and Hi Powers are no exception. If you're not happy with your Hi Powers then sell 'em on and get something ya' like better. Whoever buys your H-P's may like 'em more and you'll have another new pistol to try out and possibly enjoy shooting a lot more. Everyone wins.

For myself, I've two Hi Powers with '..stock..' triggers right out of the box and I've found both to be just fine...so I've never quite understood the complaints. I actually prefer a '..heavier..' trigger pull and since I very seldom become involved in running gunfights with bands of marauding villains bent on world-domination (not even the brown, corrugated cardboard cut-out kind) or the open parking spot I had my eye on in the Walmart parking lot ...the magazine disconnect seldom becomes an issue but...to each their own....

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
I have 3 different CZ Compact models, each has been through CajunGunWorks to improve the triggers. I prefer the SA pull on my High Powers with the BHSS trigger to all of them.
There’s a point: none of the CZs I’ve kept are compact. All are full-sized, so plenty of leverage against the full-height frame. Had a RAMI briefly ... the vendor sent the wrong caliber: 9mm; didn’t have the .40S&W asked; so I didn’t keep it. Seems likely that I never have fired a shot using a CZ75-family pistol in DA-mode. Certainly tried it for dry-fire; but I’d not like lowering the hammer on a live round even at the range.

The only purposes I see for the CZ’s DA-mode on true safety pistol are:

- re-strike
If a primer failed to ignite, you can try again. Nothing I’d ever use: before my conscious mind figured out ”a dud”, my spinal-macros would have the dud out the window and a new round chambered.

- contract qualification
Lots of L.E., and perhaps military, contract competitions specify a DA-mode. Done.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Com'on....not everything is for everyone....and Hi Powers are no exception. If you're not happy with your Hi Powers then sell 'em on and get something ya' like better. Whoever buys your H-P's may like 'em more and you'll have another new pistol to try out and possibly enjoy shooting a lot more. Everyone wins.

For myself, I've two Hi Powers with '..stock..' triggers right out of the box and I've found both to be just fine...so I've never quite understood the complaints. I actually prefer a '..heavier..' trigger pull and since I very seldom become involved in running gunfights with bands of marauding villains bent on world-domination (not even the brown, corrugated cardboard cut-out kind) or the open parking spot I had my eye on in the Walmart parking lot ...the magazine disconnect seldom becomes an issue but...to each their own....
While I agree, in a recent purge of un-used pistols, the BHP survived. Partly sentiment for leading-edge design; partly because, even with a 12lb trigger, it’s still a good pistol. So I’ve long considered disabling the magazine disconnect to see how the trigger would change. And two recently experienced examples, one an FN the other an Israeli clone, show encouraging potential.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would respectfully disagree. The EDCX-9 is a very good 1911 like gun. It is overly thick in the grip area for its, size and caliber. It is also very top heavy. The bore axis is high and it shoots very similar to a P series Sig. It has a lot of 1911 parts but it does not feel anything like a 1911 in the hand. It it accurate but at defense distances mechanical accuracy of the pistol rarely matters. On the belt again the thickness of the grip area can be a problem. All in all it is a good gun. For the price you pay $2600-2800 depending how you ordered it I think there are better options. I own one. I carry it sometimes. It rides in a Warbird Tactical custom leather IWB holster.

However more often that not I run a Alloy BHP done for me by Don Williams. This guns holds the same number of rounds. It is just as accurate. It is slimmer in the hand and in the holster in everyway. It points naturally for me and I can run the gun as well as any 1911 and better than the EDCX-9. In the end there is no single "best" anything in the world of guns. What is perfect for you is not perfect for me. Also I have less in the Don Williams Alloy then I do in the EDCX-9. ;)

Very well worded, I’m just very proud of it and it is the smallest gun that I can carry and still be accurate with because of that fat grip. It fits my hand great. My old carry was a p30sk. This edc made me instantly a more accurate shooter.

no doubt it’s different for everyone.

also helps, I got mine used for $2200.At times I get jealous of seeing the rmr slide version and even railed versions. But not willing to spend the premium.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
>>...So I’ve long considered disabling the magazine disconnect to see how the trigger would change. And two recently experienced examples, one an FN the other an Israeli clone, show encouraging potential...<<<
Well...it's a relatively easy modification to make, so why not indulge your curiosity. Given remaining Covid restrictions, there ain't much else to do so why not go fer it.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Well...it's a relatively easy modification to make, so why not indulge your curiosity. Given remaining Covid restrictions, there ain't much else to do so why not go fer it.
W-e-l-l COVID restrictions only affected me briefly, about ‘20/03 - ‘20/04. My work includes “travel papers”; though have yet to present them. So very little extra time ... but ...

... now in the last month I’ve seen twice what a BHP trigger can be, I’m very likely to take up your advice.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I've sold both of my hi powers to those more intrigued than me. I recognize that not everyone needs to like the same things, that's kind of the point of my post. Cause with the features and functionality, the hi power should be top of my list but my current set of experiences proves otherwise. That's why I was wondering if the custom jobs or less used/non-surplus examples run and perform better out of the box. And from the other posts that seems to be true, I think the trick with the Hi Power is there is a strong cost/return consideration, it can only achieve so much with how the pistol was designed and that can meet your expectations or fall short.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts