1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I’m on my 4th and still don’t love it. Beautiful to look at….wonderful to hold…underwhelming to shoot. That’s just my opinion. I’ll keep this one only because of the fact that they don’t make it any longer.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I’m on my 4th and still don’t love it. Beautiful to look at….wonderful to hold…underwhelming to shoot. That’s just my opinion. I’ll keep this one only because of the fact that they don’t make it any longer.
You have just summarized my experiences as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think people get hung up on triggers and trigger weight. I personally like clean and consistent over breaks like a glass rod. So many people are in search of the shortest rest possible. They want no movement in the trigger before it fires and no movement before it resets. I do not need my triggers to be on and off switches. I am not a competition shooter making my living off of shooting so that type of trigger is not necessary for my purposes.

For me I want a trigger with predictable trigger with a reasonable weight. I can run DA/SA with 8lb DA triggers just fine. As an example my CZ 75B or LTT Beretta Compact both fit he bill. After that 8lb pull there is a perceivable reset and a clean SA. Both have had trigger jobs. CGW and then Langdon respectively. The thing that the trigger job got me more than anything else was clean and consistent. I still run a lot of DA/SA guns because it teaches you to stage the trigger and run the gun. If you can run a DA/SA gun you can run a, revolver, Glock or a 1911 with no issues. If all you ever shoot it glass rod breaking 1911s in SA you may not have the skills to run a DA/SA gun. IMHO

The mag disconnect removal on a BHP is double edged sword. When you remove it the trigger pull smooths out a bit. It does not drop the weight by as much as people think but it feels cleaner with less resistance which mentally translates to lower weight in the mind but in my experience the trigger scale tells me something different. The downside to the mag disconnect removal is that the trigger reset gets vague. I always recommend increasing the weight of the trigger return spring to counter balance this. I personally like my BHP triggers in the 4lb range which is achievable. I have found when you try to get lower you run the risk of hammer follow and compromised reliability. YMMV
+1 on Rellascout comments. A Hi Power can be tuned with an action job (Garthwaite trigger and some mods to the trigger lever and sear lever) to be a crisp single stage trigger with almost no take up and a very short crisp, audible reset. I have guns that have that setup and I have guns that have a solid OEM trigger that break like glass and resets crisply despite the removal of the mag disconnect. I am happy shooting both.

My carry gun is an alloy frame with a Garthwaite single stage trigger, detective slide and Spegel Palm Swell Grips. 15+1 capacity, thinner at grip than EDC-X9, and 2 oz lighter than EDC-X9 unloaded. And IMHO, twice as sexy just for good measure.

EDC-X9 is a cool gun, no doubt. But BHPs are just the girl you want to take to prom.

Scott

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
So I've owned a good number of firearms over the last 10 years and I've made sure to try out a wide range of models and mechanisms along the way. With handguns, I've determined that 1911's and DA revolvers are my go-to favorites.
I have desperately wanted to like the Hi Power and on paper it should be a top pistol purchase for me. However I've owned an FEG variation and a surplus Browning variant (one of the aluminum framed versions that came from Israel maybe?).
While both pistols felt great in my hand and familiar from a control perspective, shooting both was an underwhelming experience. Neither shot well for me, trigger on the FEG was the heaviest trigger I've ever experienced in firing well over 100 handguns, even the shop that sold it to me laughed out loud at the trigger. Safeties weren't positive and lacked confidence, sights were standard fair for an older service revolver but weren't necessarily updated easily. Slide bite got me on both pistols and the magazine ejection was pretty slow moving.
So am I just not meant for the hi power scene or have I been playing with the wrong pistols? Is there an example of the hi power that represents the increased capacity 1911-esque pistol I'm searching for or am I better saving my pennies and pursuing something like the DW DWX (if it ever arrives) or really saving and selling a few guns for a Wilson EDC-X9? I'm certainly not well versed on the hi power and have struggled with each effort to get familiar so help me out! Thanks.

Just grab hold of a genuine CZ-75. All questions will be answered.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just grab hold of a genuine CZ-75. All questions will be answered.
I've heard so many recommendations to a CZ-75 lately. I've known they make quality stuff but apparently I need to look into it more seriously!

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
BHP mechanicals hold little interest for me. The aesthetics, the beauty, the feel, the quality is what I enjoy

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I've heard so many recommendations to a CZ-75 lately. I've known they make quality stuff but apparently I need to look into it more seriously!

BHP mechanicals hold little interest for me. The aesthetics, the beauty, the feel, the quality is what I enjoy
CZs are good guns. This one is a CGW custom gun.

This guy and I talked a bit about CZs. At the time he said the Shadow 2 was the best value on the market. I shot that target I am holding with the CZ75B pictured above. He told me after a 2 day training that I did right by that CZ and it had done right by me. I have to admit that meant a lot to me. I am not sure he knows much about shooting guns but maybe he does?

Reactions: dmthomp32

·
Registered
724 Posts
For a completely different reason than this thread, I did a quick size and weight comparison this evening between my Alloy Detective BHP and a recently acquired Cajun Gun Works CZ75D Compact, also an alloy frame and approximately the same size, with the full CGW Pro Package, trigger reach reduction, etc. Slightly used it cost me $800 with six magazines, original packaging and the tasteful CGW logo.

The CZ weighed in at 696 grams vs 640 grams for the BHP (no magazines). The CZ is thicker in the grip, and the trigger reach is greater... even just in SA mode.

This CZ is a fine pistol, as are my other two, and all are kinda what I was looking for size wise in an Alloy Detective High Power. The BHP just suits and fits me better, and I really prefer SA pistols.

CZs are absolutely worth a serious look!

Cheers,

Tim

·
Administrator
74,363 Posts
I'm on my third, a MKIII. It's the pistol I've always wanted to love but never could get too excited about. The two I sold were also MKIIIs, and all were accurate but I just couldn't get attached to them. Like you I'm hanging onto the latest one for the simple reason that they're discontinued, and finding nice ones is getting harder every year.

You would think that 1911 guys would automatically grow fond of the Hi-Power as well, but it's really not the case. They're similar, but just different enough to deliver completely different shooting experiences.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
For me - it’s these 3 essential High Powers; I have others however these would be the last to go with the exception of the P-35; I may travel into eternity with my Colt Combat Commander and I! 😉👮‍♀️👩‍👩‍👧🧳

Top is a ”T” Series 9mm; bottom Swiss Sig P-210-4 from the Federal Republic of Germany Border Guard (BUNDESGRENZSCHUTZ) 1 of 5,000; ”Peanut“ Damascus and Stainless knife by Jim Downs.

BROWNING .40 S&W HIGH POWER, BELIEVE IT OR NOT I PAID $750 PLUS 8.5% sales tax Happy Birthday to me! Went to see my cardiologist on my birthday - neither he, my doctor, nor I had made the appointment! After a happy birthday wish from him I was 10-15 minutes from 3 Gun Shops and countless pawn shops. When I saw it in the case and asked to look at it, not wanting to let go of it, I dared to ask what came with it. The salesman said: “We just got it in this morning; I’ll have to look.” There was also a tHurd factory magazine as well. Keep in mind they had other High Power’s (9MM) in the cases for $1K - $1.5K!) I did the 4473, paid my money, and went straight to the car!, $813.75 out the door.

ELITE WARRIOR ARMAMENT P-35; No. 22 of only 30 made. Machined from bar stock and stainless billet steel. It loves to digest heavy (say 148 grain) and +P or +P+ ammo. A definite keeper.

Finally, almost forgot it:

INGLIS High Power (Canadian reverse engineered early on during WWII when Canada realized the .38 S&W (aka .38-200) revolvers lacked power and capacity! This one has been refinished and refurbished by Elite Warrior Armament.

As a lot of you know, the initial design of the High Power was done by John M. Browning. Browning died in 1926, several years before the design was finalized. Dieudonne Saive of FN. The Hi-Power is one of the most widely used military pistols in history, having been used by the armed forces of over 50 countries. After 82 years of continuous production, the Hi-Power was discontinued in 2017 by Browning Arms, but it remained in production in some countries, under license.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why choose it? Well, that's the beauty of the situation. If you like/love or appreciate it for one reason or another that's all the more reason to have one for carry or whatever. If you don't, then that's ok too, cause you can look to many other avenues.

I have one only, a Mk III and it has a great trigger with the magazine disconnect intact. I do have my Spegal's so far. They are a thing of beauty. BP with Spegal.jpg

I will one of these days send it in have some work done on it to someplace like Novaks or the Action Works or Yost or Sokol or Cylinder and Slide... Haven't decided who but they all have great work. And I'm sure I'm forgetting several others.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Why choose it? Well, that's the beauty of the situation. If you like/love or appreciate it for one reason or another that's all the more reason to have one for carry or whatever. If you don't, then that's ok too, cause you can look to many other avenues.

I have one only, a Mk III and it has a great trigger with the magazine disconnect intact. I do have my Spegal's so far. They are a thing of beauty.

I will one of these days send it in have some work done on it to someplace like Novaks or the Action Works or Yost or Sokol or Cylinder and Slide... Haven't decided who but they all have great work. And I'm sure I'm forgetting several others.
That’s one sharp looking pistol.

Others depicted in earlier posts, some also very nice: the black finish and rosewood grip panels tipped me over to commenting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I can't say I had the same experience. I owned a Belgium-made Hi-Power several years ago... one of those that "got away". It had a deep, flawless blued finish, and ultra light and crisp trigger. I think the Belgium Hi-Powers are in a totally different league than the examples you've tried.

I think it's like trying to compare a Tisas or RIA 1911 to a Colt or Wilson Combat. They may very well be the same model of firearm, but they're worlds apart in terms of fit and finish.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I first saw the first Hi Power I was not impressed by the overall looks or feel of the gun. Many years later a buddy of mine brought his by for me to work on. After I disassembled it I was really intrigued at how simple the system was and so I went and bought one for myself. The first thing I did was to remove the magazine safety. I then replaced all the trigger components, hammer and thumb safety with Cylinder and Slide parts and finally replace the sights with Trijicon tritium night sights and a different set of grips. I now have a Browning High Power that I really love and enjoy shooting.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
They're technically Cocobolo S+ grade;) Thanks!
Thought so. Cocobolo is my favorite rosewood. Some other rosewoods look close enough in a photo.

My 1st m1911, after >25yrs and >150,000rds still wears the OEM cocobolo grip stocks: when I clean the dead skin out of them, they’re like new. One of my intermittently favorite guitars*1 has back and sides from a different rosewood: sounds beautiful but cannot smell it through the clear finish*2.

*1- A PRS “SE Angelus Custom”, amazing guitar for what I paid.

*2- Yes, I can smell the wood from the sound hole ... but it’s overlaid with the smell of glue.
\ ~;

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I only have 1 Hi-Power left in my collection. A WWII occupation built pistol.

I do own an original CZ-75 9mm. Probably my favorite 9mm.

A few years ago , I traded a W.German Sig P-226 9mm for a Browning Practical model in .40 S&W. Probably the worst gun trade I ever made.

Put some time and money into it , but the weight/mass added to the slide ruined the perfect balance of the 9mm version , and increased felt recoil.

I traded that for a CZ-75B single-action in .40 S&W and could not be happier.

·
Registered
425 Posts
GONRA's first HiPower (only have 2) is a (mint?) John INGLIS
purchased in MN in the 1960's.
Remember - REAL Hi Powers have INTERNAL extractors, etc.!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
While I never had a Hi Power or even had a chance to shoot one, I did have a chance to hold one and it felt great in my hand. Because of the feel of the Hi Power, I bought a brand new CZ 75 back in the late 80's. The CZ looked like a Hi Power and when I received it, it felt great in my hands. More importantly, it had a super smooth DA trigger pull, was super accurate and super reliable. I stupidly sold it thinking I could buy another one. A few years later they changed it up and started importing CZ 85's and then CZ 75B. I ended up buying a CZ 75B and a couple of years ago I located a dealer that a brand new in the box, old stock CZ 75 that I bought. If the Hi Power is anywhere near as good as the CZ 75, then I would definitely consider buying one. But, I would only be interested in the older, made in Belgium FN Hi Powers with that polished blue finish.

My CZ's.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I have owned a high power and like a fool I sold it. Hi Powers are a marvelous gun. I have a Dan Wesson Vigil Commander 9mm that reminds me of the high power. The 1911's certainly have better triggers than High Powers.

And yes, I would love to have another High Power. There is something special about them.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts