1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread on your first gun got me to thinking - why to people trash their guns. You go to gun shops and see guns that are totally destroyed. Not talking worn blueing, I'm talking about scratches, dents, cracks, sights and major parts missing, etc. I hunt birds with people who just throw their guns into the back of the pick up and drive off.

My first gun (1970) was hunted with a lot. Right now, 43 Christmases later, it still looks like the day it came out of the box. Same with the 22 I got in 1971. I have one gun that is worn out but the metal has no scratches and the wood has no dings (Rem 1100 from 1976). I know they are tools, but I take great care of my mechanics tools as well.

Are people just careless or lazy. I have too much invested in my collection to allow it to be trashed.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I use my firearms. They get dings, scratches, scrapes, all normal use, not abuse. I guess it depends on your definition of "ruin".

Bob

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
That's not necessarily ruined, just ugly. Maybe some people just drive em' harder. Still, they don't need to be purdy to work. Sights would be nice though ...

edit: Not ugly ... aged.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, some of those dinged and scratched guns became like that accidentally??

Yes, some owners might be lazy or even careless. Also, take into account that no two people are the same when it comes to firearms or material things......meaning, some people look at firearms as TOOLS, nothing more. To those people, if their guns gets dinged or scratched either they don't really care or.....it even becomes a badge of honor-LOL.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I was just wondering if they treat their cars, homes, furniture, appliances the same way they treat their guns. I work too hard to let my stuff get trashed. Well used maybe, but not trashed.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
My question is.. Why do so many obsess about their guns being pristine.

As in.. "I scratched my gun, now I need to refinish it right away..":scratch:

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
For me, ruined would be something that negatively impacts reliability and/or accuracy. I do take really good care of my tools, but bottom line for me is reliability and accuracy.

·
Premium Member
20,422 Posts
If it's worth good money for me to buy it, it is worth a little care to maintain it.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
When you get the answer, come over to the "blade section" here and copy us in on the solution.

While there is a great deal of difference between "use" and "abuse," I find the same condition with knives. Pelvis breakers are the biggest idiots in the forest. Their knives are all damaged in the same way--from foolishness.

I'm on the third rear tire on my Sportster. She just turned 20,000 miles. Most of the touring bikes in the shop have 4,000 miles on them by the shop's own figures. Yet, my bikes look like they were never ridden.

A guy that won't do maintenance is just plain lazy.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I guess I was just wondering if they treat their cars, homes, furniture, appliances the same way they treat their guns. I work too hard to let my stuff get trashed. Well used maybe, but not trashed.
They probably do treat everything the same.
I agree with you; I don't trash anything I own. I use all of my guns but I don't abuse them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There's a difference between normal wear and tear, and abuse/neglect. The fact of the matter is that some people take better care of their stuff than others... and some people just can't have nice things haha!

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
There's a difference between normal wear and tear, and abuse/neglect. The fact of the matter is that some people take better care of their stuff than others... and some people just can't have nice things haha!
I agree completely. Couple that with the fact that some have guns that really hardly ever are used, or are only taken to the range. I have some guns that I've shot a lot, they show quite a bit of wear, and the odd scratch or ding here and there. I wouldn't trade any of them for the exact model that was new. I also have quite a few guns that have had an easy life. Non of them just get pitched in the back of the truck, though.....:mummy:
L.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Like most things I think the answer is a balance somewhere in the middle...I pay good money for guns and I try to take as good a care of them as possible, but on the other hand, some signs of abuse and use are just GOING to appear if you really carry them/fire them/hunt with them etc. Little superficial wear doesn't not bother me (justsigns of character) but major wear or damage would.

Only if you keep your guns in pressurized climate controlled lockbox, and handle them with white cotton gloves will they remain perfect. And that to me is a useless paperweight collection.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Some people are just like that. No respect for property, (their own, or other's.)

I work in IT, and I regularly see users who virtually destroy their laptops, (Broken keys, cracked screens and cases, etc.) Thely blame it on wear & tear from traveling. Strange, but I carry, my laptop back & forth between home and work every day, and mine looks brand new, even after 2 years.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
For me, ruined would be something that negatively impacts reliability and/or accuracy. I do take really good care of my tools, but bottom line for me is reliability and accuracy.
My guns are tools. period. No need to deliberately abuse them, but I don't break a sweat if something gets a ding or scratch.

To me ruin is something like chopping off a barrel at a bad angle or with a hack saw. A ding from shooting through a barricade or around a car is not a concern to me.

Now if all you do is bird hunt, its easy(ier) to keep things pristine. My over and under is beautiful. My POF and G 21, hmm..... not so much.

Not to hijack, but my pet peeve is taking a highend Weatherby rifle on trade and having to rip off the $25 tasco scope.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I tend to think that "gadget" people who appreciate all-things-mechanical, tend to be more respectful to their firearms. Or cars. Or bikes. Or knives. Or flashlights. Or watches............

·
Registered
492 Posts
I use my guns but don't mistreat them. I don't throw them in the back of the truck, but I have floated rivers with them, so they have slid around the bottom of the canoe getting scratched and wet. I have taken them pheasant hunting and had the dog knock them over when propped against a tree. I could go on, but you get the point. They have some scratches, rubs and dings.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, some of those dinged and scratched guns became like that accidentally??
I would not trade my scratched, dinged and dented Springer for another new one. It's been used, scratched, dinged and dented, but maintained very well thanks for asking. It's all a matter of degree, and ones perception of what abused, or trashed really is. You would prolly cringe (I actually do) if you saw the highend scope on my 30.06. I had it slung on my back, slipped and fell backwards onto unforgiving rocks. Dented and scratched the #!%* out of it, but after re-zero it will still put 5 rounds into a quarter sized hole at 100 yards. Eyesore ? You bet. Ruined ? Not even close.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts