1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've been wanting an XL650 from dillon for a long time. I had the money saved up last march, and was ready to buy. Then I went to a gun show and found a M92FS Beretta at a great price. OK, so I'll get this now and get the press later.

So now here we are in November, cash in hand for the XL650 again. And I go to a gun show today. There, on a dealer's table is a Sig P220 for $499. Yes $499. Used? "Only as a demo gun" says the dealer. Its an older gun, still marked Made in W. Germany, so probably 14 years old. As far as I can tell, never fired. Bore is pristine, no wear marks anywhere, finish 100%.

So now, I need to start saving for a 650 again. I guess I'll need to struggle through a couple hundred rounds with my Lee turrel. Why do I do this?

Brian

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
jedibrain, this is the story of my life. Do me a favor and run some lead bullets through your new P220. Why? I want to find out if it leads badly. Mine does and yet others say their P220 don't. Thanks in advance and regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
195 Posts
You may want to give the Hornady Lock-N-Load a good look. I know everyone says "Go Blue" (especially today:D). But I've had zero problems with mine and I load from 9mm to 45/70 on mine. Customer service is just as good as Dillon. Plus, the price is lower so you'll have money for more guns faster.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Scooter .45 said:
jedibrain, you have the right priorities. Guns are guns. Everything else is just support equipment.
It all depends on whether you want to own a bunch of guns or actually be able to shoot them well. I submit that if you are saving money for a Dillon press, you aren't well off enough to buy enough factory ammo to shoot often enough to be able to shoot well.

I personally would rather own one firearm and be proficient with it's use. Others would rather fondle their collection.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well said BillD! Shooting is what it is all about, for me. I have actually sold guns to get in on large volume reloading component buys. Never regretted it. Fondling in the comfort of your living room may be what you want. I'll be at the range.:D A real outdoor range where I can shoot steel, IDPA, IPSC and whatever else I want.

·
Banned
597 Posts
JudokaFL said:
Well said BillD! Shooting is what it is all about, for me. I have actually sold guns to get in on large volume reloading component buys. Never regretted it. Fondling in the comfort of your living room may be what you want. I'll be at the range.:D A real outdoor range where I can shoot steel, IDPA, IPSC and whatever else I want.
here here. But guns are different for different people. There's lots of folks out there that just like to collect. To each his own I guess. I prefer to shoot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I prefer to have a lot of guns AND shoot them well. To each his own, of course, but some people just like to have a variety of guns. Sure, I spend a fair amount for ammo, but that's what it's all about.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Richard, I also have an older Sig P220 made in W. Germany. I have fired thousands of lead rounds ( 200gr. #68 H&G, 4.8 gr. Bullseye ) through it with no leading problems. And jedeibrain, I think that you made a great purchase. I would have snapped that gun up in a heartbeat at that price.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like to shoot as much as I can. And I do reload already, its just A little more time consuming with the Lee Turret vs what I hope it will be with the Dillon.

And there is nothing wrong with collecting. I am kind of on a mission to own a .45 in each available format. I now have 1911 format, Glock, Ruger, and SIG represented. We'll see what I get next.

I shoot all my guns, but I only shoot a few of them regularly. My Ruger is my home defense gun so I shoot it. I also shoot my glock b/c I love it, and my newer SA Black Stainless is also becoming a favorite.

And I'm glad a lot of you would have done the same thing in the face of this deal as I did. It makes me feel better. Now I need to get to the range!

Brian

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
jedibrain;
Slightly off the point of your post, but FWIW, notice if the gun in question is a P220A with the sharp-ended hammer spur, non-rebounding hammer (older American version P220) or the rebounding rounded-hammer (newer American P220) or one of the truly-older European (butt-heel mag release) P220s.

If it's truly in good shape, the older European P220s are very accurate/precise, and would be well worth having.
The newer P220As are fine too, but IME not quite up to the accuracy-precision standards of the older ones.

Best.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Good move buying the Sig. I bought one not too long ago and I never regretted it. It's a great handgun and I know you won't be disappointed with it. Extra mags are alittle hard to fine BUT cheap enough when you do find them. You "did it" because it was a bargin deal and you would have been a fool to pass it up.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It's not either/or. Though my preferences tend to keep my collection from getting to out of hand :D
The secret is to never lie to yourself. If you know what you love, and you're smart enough to hang on to those, and you know what you're just fond of, and sell those to hunt for your next true love, it seems to work out :D

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SAWBONES

It is the newer Sig 220, with the rebounding hammer etc. I've done some reasearch and figured out that it was proof marked '95. So it is not as old as I thought, and I am confused why its marked West Germany since there was no West Germany in '95. But who cares.

Rayjay, those were my exact thoughts. I said to my friend who was with me: "If I dont buy this now, I'll never see another deal like that again."

I can't wait to shoot it.

Brian

1 - 17 of 17 Posts