1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call it whatever you want, training, drills, practice or plain ole "shooting".

In a recent thread, some commented that if you don't, you shouldn't own a firearm.
Others disagreed (I'm one of 'em)

it got me wondering of those of that train/drill/practice/shoot regularly (I'm one of 'em) "why" do you do it?

Do you do it to be able to better drill holes in bad guys?
Do you do it to win trophies or gold?

I asked myself that question "why" ...and the overwhelming answer was/is , because it's fun

..L.T.A.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Part of my job. But mostly because it IS fun.

I don't shoot competitively much any more (IDPA), but that was a personal challenge which I always enjoyed as well.

You can't shoot well if you don't practice, and I learned a LONG time ago that practice is a whole lot more fun if you shoot well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Its fun. Focus on the front sight is a lot more relaxing than meditation and there is a big boom. :)

Keeps me out of trouble also. Time on the range keeps me from thinking making dynamite in my kitchen is a good idea.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Same reason I do anything else, I enjoy it... That's all there is too it.

Guns, trucks, chainsaws, video games & movies.. That's pretty much my big hobbies right there.

Things that I enjoy and either find relaxing, fun, or just a good way to kinda get away

Only thing with guns in particular, I like being better. This especially applies to the people at work

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
I call it preparation for the unexpected

Can one be prepared for everything ? Nope

Many of us may never have to use the training, but it is there if ever needed

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
Almost exclusively for fun. I do enjoy a bit of competition and, while I don't do it enough to really compete, I get something out of doing well when I do.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Why do I shoot/train/practice

I have always enjoyed shooting for the challenge of being able to hit what I aim at for any given distance......whether it is hunting, shooting cans, or in competitive shooting matches with rifle or pistol.

I have shot competitively with pistols for many years, and still continue to enjoy the competition. I have become more proficient in my ability to hit what I aim at for any given distance! I now have the knowledge to be able to build my own pistols from parts, tailor the ammo for each gun through reloading, and gain a great deal of satisfaction when I place high overall in my competitive shooting at local matches.....this is similar to a race car driver that builds his own car and wins a race......

For me, shooting is a hobby that provides fun and enjoyment!

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
I just shoot for fun. Should I ever flush a large covey of young DemocRATs, that'll just be a bonus. :cool:

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
I do it for the same reason I practice guitar.

1. I enjoy it.

2. I want to get better.

Pretty simple.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Some of the reason I practice and do drills.

1. I enjoy doing it.

2. It keeps my skills sharp. To me shooting Is like speaking a different language. If you don't use it, you loose it. Or just get really bad at it.

3. My family and a lot of my friends enjoy shooting.

4. I like teaching friends and family. I am not a professional instructor now (I was in the army) but I know my way around the range and doing drills.

There are a lot more reason.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Shooting is a perishable skill. I don't shoot or carry for competition or trophies. That is why I practice. Timed drills, reaction drills, shoot no shoot simulator drills, handgun/carbine classes. Anyone can stand in a box and slow fire 50 rounds into a target 7 yds away and call themselves ready to stop a threat but if you can't run a mile, stop, draw and still hit COM then you need to practice more in this man's opinion.

·
Premium Member
13,937 Posts
I shoot and practice/drill 90% because:
-It is Fun.
-It is challanging.
-It has big elements of Body and Mind (The more Zen you got - the better you will shoot all other things equal).
-There is an indivualistic nature to it and represents freedom at some level.

The other 10% is in the rare case someday, I may need to defend myself. In which case the perp will be toast.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
It's enjoyable + it's a perishable skill.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Just like richpatrone says....and

Sometimes our activities define who we are whether it is 55,56,57 Chevy Belaires or 1911 firearms.

I shot my first match in the late 50's, I've been reloading since the 60's, I'm retired LEO, Benefactor NRA Member and "Trainer", CA POST Certified Firearms Instructor and Personal Trainer in the fine art of the "defensive hand gun". I must be proficient and I do occaisonally shoot by myself to test firearms or loads but most of my "training" and "drills" are in the form of matches or demonstrating drills. Most of this I do "cold". I do run/shoot weekly "action pistol" club matches and Bulls-eye matches. I had bypass surgery 1 year ago and just celebrated my 67th birthday. And this week I finished a 10 match "defensive pistol" series (nearly 1,000 rounds) and placed first in both revolver and semi-auto, (I usually finish in the top 3 but the top shooters didn't shoot the required number of matches!)

The point of this long answer is that each of us adjusts our practice to our individual needs and purpose. I need to "practice" shooting, reloading and maintenance in order to stay in shape both mentally and physically if I am to live and enjoy my life to the fullist, it defines who I am. The "pistol guy"

If I still had my Chevies I might be the "Chevy guy" instead.

John, SuperSeniorSingleStackShootist

·
Registered
857 Posts
Like anything I care to do, I want to do it well.

Also when shooting at hostile targets that shoots back, wants to cut you, or bite you (dogs), it helps to be proficient.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts