1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be honest, right off, I don't have a Taurus 1911. I have looked at them a gun shows and haven't found any problems with them. I already have a 1911, so I haven't bought one. They seem tight and I couldn't find any stress risers.

I picked up an older model G2 millennium new at a gun show a few months ago for about $200...cheaper, by far, than an other gun in it's class.

I had read about numerous problems with every Taurus gun, so even at that price, I hesitated. I figured how bad can it be though.

Holy crap, I've fired about 500 rounds through it so far. It has eaten everything I've thrown at it. Even with the small frame, the muzzle flip isn't much more than my xdm 4.5. The sights are excellent and adjustable. It's the only gun I have now that I don't need glasses to line up the sights well.

I realize that this is a datapoint of 1, but if there is a problem gun, my luck allows me to end up with it.

I'm blown away with this thing, especially for the price. Maybe it will fly apart at 552 rounds, I can't say. But looking at the manufacturing, the fit, the operation, even the magazines, I just can't understand the reputation of this gun or Taurus in general.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Go to almost any forum and you will find a lot more problems than you do on a Taurus site and some of those cost 100's more. Now I'm not saying all guns are perfect or all companies, but some get an unearned pass I could not find a 1911 within 300 bucks of my PT1911 in my neighborhood that had the same features. I am not about to spend an enormous sum of money on something that could be stolen from my truck.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I owned one, glad I don't have it now, wouldn't shoot 100 in a row no matter what. Worse than that, we sold them at a place I worked for a few years. We returned more Taurii than all other brands put together. You have about a 50/50 chance of getting a good one. The good ones work fine.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Not trying to bash them but I have honestly never handled a taurus 1911 that was fitted well.....

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Don't own a Taurus 1911. Like other 1911's, there are mixed reviews.
But do own a Model 850 revolver.

After maybe 300 rounds downrange, the cylinder timing was off. Sent it back to Taurus.
Got it back 3 weeks later. Timing issue fixed & forcing cone was reamed. Now it's operating just fine.

My only complaint is that I had to pay Taurus $50 for a shipping label.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Taurus is the biggest gun manufacturer in the world of firearms therefore it seems they have more returned firearms to be repaired. When actually they really don't have anymore returnes than most other manufactures. Plus a lot of people like to bash them. I have 2 only one had to be returned for a broken extractor and it was only gone just about 2 weeks and no charge for the trip to Miami. No problems with either, they both shoot as good or better then any other brand revolver or 1911, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another taurus just my opinion

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
my contact with Taurus firearms are three PT1911s...all three have been great...do they compare finish wise to more expensive pistols I own???...Nope...do they run as a pistol should run???...Yup... :D

Bill

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Taurus is just like RIA and the other entry levels...

They are, by their own choosing, catering to the entry level markets for value based firearms...

It's hard to expect high end fit and finish, etc from companies like this for what they charge...

Like many things in life, you get what you pay for...If you want WC, NH, etc finish and service, it comes at a price...

·
Registered
41 Posts
It seems Taurus bashing is like a train in motion. It got started & it can't be stopped. I'd bet a lot of the bashers have never actually owned a Taurus firearm. But find it 'safe' to add a negative post wherever a bash fest is going on. I've owned the following Taurus firearms ( at least these are the ones I recall )

PT99- Never a problem
Model 94 2"- Never a problem
Model 94 5"- Refused at FFL due to no cylinder lockup. Replaced & no problem since
Model 605- Bought used with known problem-returned to Taurus for repair & 6 weeks later returned. Since then zero problems.
PT1911 blue- Never a problem
PT1911 Duo Tone- Never a problem
24/7 OSS 9mm blue- Never a problem
24/7 OSS 9mm SS- Never a problem
24/7 OSS 45 ACP- Never a problem
PT92- Never a problem
PT945- Never a problem

I did have a Beretta Bobcat 22LR. POS. Never ran a full mag through it without a jam. Returned to Beretta for repair. Came back with same problem. My $50 Jennings 22L was more reliable.

Springfield Armory 1911 GI. Another POS. Also could not empty a magazine without a jam.

Every maker has their problems. But as one poster said ( and I'll probably not get this completely correct ). If an inexpensive gun is giving you problems, it's a POS. But if a high dollar firearm is giving you problems, it just needs to be broken in.

Tuckerdog1

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Taurus is just like RIA and the other entry levels...

They are, by their own choosing, catering to the entry level markets for value based firearms...

It's hard to expect high end fit and finish, etc from companies like this for what they charge...

Like many things in life, you get what you pay for...If you want WC, NH, etc finish and service, it comes at a price...
Quoting from someone on another brands forum"is this piece of junk what I get for $800?" I read a bunch of forums and except for one or two brands, people moan and groan about every 1911 under a grand and that includes Colts. Just read some of them. It is hilarious.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
By the way, there are about 10 on going threads about gun issues as we type. Most are higher priced guns.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
One thing that brings down the trust of one weapons manufacturer than another is the novice gun owner. When you purchase a first gun you have to look beyond hype, coolness, and peer pressure. Buying a weapon because you see it on tv or video game, is the wrong reason. Has this person ever shot a gun before, because you are a master sniper world of war or whatever the game is called doesn't make you an expert. Then buying and shooting it you find the recoil is more than you figured, or the weight is a lot more than your game controller, and you can't hit the broad side of a barn. Now your $1000 investment sits in the closet and bitch about it. This reminds me of the motorcycle craze a decade ago, everyone had to buy an overpriced Harley, against their wife's wishes, and they didn't know how to ride it. Then they took it out and it scared the hell out of them and now it sits in the corner of the garage and the wife bitches for you to get rid of it. In both cases it comes down to try it before you buy it and find out what you are comfortable with.

For me my first pistol was the 1911 mainly because it is what we used when I was in the Army and it was what I was used to and comfortable with. I am not familiar with the Taurus rendition of the 1911 but it was one of the makes I was seriously looking at so my belief when you hear bad things about a gun look at the person complaining, do they even know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a PT58S for a while. I sold it to a friend since he needed a gun and I wanted to cut .380 out of my collection.

It ran like a top and was a pretty nice gun. My 1 Taurus doesn't mean a lot, but that was a good gun.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I helped my shooting buddy get into 1911's. At first money was tight, so he bought a PT1911. It made two trips back to Taurus before it ran right.:mad:

Since then, he's added a Colt and 2 Springer 1911's to his stable.

The PT1911 shoots ragged holes all day long.:eek:

From what I've read, it seems to be a crap shoot with what you get.:scratch:

Some work right out of the box-----some don't.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
293 Posts
My PT1911 didn't give me any issue other than finding a holster that could fit that ginormous rail.. it was a beater/shooter, reliable and I definitely didn't mind scratches on it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Have a PT945 that I bought about 20 years ago. There is (or was) a publication at the time that I subscribed to called Gun Tests. There was no advertising whatsoever in the magazine,so they didn't have to sugar coat an advertiser's review of a firearm. Typically they would take 3 similar firearms and rate them on reliability, accuracy and price. When they reviewed the 945 ,what stood out to me were the words " Fed and fired flawlessly " . Since that was what I was looking for in my first defensive pistol I bought it. Has been accurate and utterly reliable. Lives on my dresser with a belly full of Gold Dots.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I helped my shooting buddy get into 1911's. At first money was tight, so he bought a PT1911. It made two trips back to Taurus before it ran right.:mad:

Since then, he's added a Colt and 2 Springer 1911's to his stable.

The PT1911 shoots ragged holes all day long.:eek:

From what I've read, it seems to be a crap shoot with what you get.:scratch:

Some work right out of the box-----some don't.:rolleyes:
And this is how it starts. "I know a guy that has a problem". Followed by, "I know a guy that knows a guy..." and "I read about a guy..." Funny how these stories don't happen with high dollar firearms, yet if you look around you will find that they have the same occasional issues reported by actual owners.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts