1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a Norinco on one of the broker sites few days back, got it today and its an OK gun not as nice as advertised but still a good solid gun. One noticable problem though. After a really good cleaning the slide sticks right before the slide stop. I can ballance it there. I can shake the barrell lightly in all directions and then move the slide stop gentely and push the mag release and the slide will stay "stuck". If i shake the pistol the slide will release (all this is without a mag.). If I gentely push the rear or move the trigger it will release. Why does the slide "stick"??

·
Registered
148 Posts
I suspect that the hammer strut is contacting the middle leg of the sear spring causing the disconnector to be trapped and held in the up position. When the slide attempts to return to battery the disconnector rail hits it and it doesn't go down easily because the pressure of the strut on the sear spring. When you let trigger travel foward the pressure on the sear spring (and the trapped disconnector) is released and the slide goes foward. Take out your grip safety and reassemble the pistol. Make sure the pistol is EMPTY and CLEAR, cock the hammer, pull and hold the trigger back. Pull the slide back and slowly let it go foward (make sure you're still pulling the trigger). If the strut is hitting the sear spring the disconnector rail (at the botom of the breach face) will hit the disconnector and the disconnector will not go down, or you will have to push the slide hard to make it go down. This will feel really rough. Normally the cycling of the slide should be fairly smooth depending on the level of refinement on a particular pistol. Inspect the relationship between the parts where you took the grip safety off. If you don't feel comfortable doing this take it to a 'smith. It's not a big deal to fix. At least you'll have an idea of what's going on.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well SRF, looks like you were right on the mark. I changed the sear spring with an extra and the problem was solved right away, slide smooth as can be.:rock: .....But now my grip safty rattles like a marbel in a box, no wonder I got this pistol so cheep the guy must have fooled with the springs to try to fix the loose grip saftey. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm what do do now?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Looking from the rear of the pistol, the third leaf of the sear spring on the right is what hold tension on your grip safety. Look at your old spring for some reference and bend leaf for the grip safety towards you to get some resistance on the grip safety.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea TLE I did just that and it works sort of now the Grip Safety only sticks out about 1/16" or so and still rattles. The pistol does function properly but I do not trust it, I guess I could really try more of a bow in the sear spring but I don't to over do it. I think that is what the previous owner did and the result was that he put to much pressure on the trigger spring and somehow bound the disconector. Could it be the strutt is not getting enough pressure?:scratch:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Try to get your hands a two new sear springs. Use one as a reference and one to 'tweak'. I'll bet you're almost there. Just don't shoot the pistol until you're absolutely convinced that you've found the problem (and still just shoot one round and two, etc. until you can shoot a multiple mags with no problems.) It possible you've got some other 'modifications' that are causing problems. At this point, without seeing the pistol, it is hard to diagnose the problem from a distance.

PS: If the grip safety has been modified by removing or shortening the stud on the inboard side of the grip safety, then the pistol in functioning normally but the grip safety has been 'disconnected'. This is a fairly common modification to 'game' guns.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First thanks for the intrest. Yup, I'll get another (two) sear springs because I broke the orginal one, I do have another off a Norinco but it does not compare with a Wolf so I will be picking a couple of those up this week. I will eventually replace all of the internals on this pistol and this is a really good learning curve for me. Simple I just am not aware of some things but having a great time learning.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.