1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious. While admiring my 1911 the other day, I noticed that the ejector does not really seem to contact the slide in any way. So the obvious question is, why does letting the slide run forward at full speed on an empty chamber hurt the ejector?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Originally posted by elsworth:
I'm curious, why does letting the slide run forward at full speed on an empty chamber hurt the ejector?
Who ever said it did?
The MAIN concern is the surface of the sear.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Dropping the slide on an empty chamber shouldn't damage the ejector.

Same thing for the extractor. What can damage you extractor, though, is dropping a round into the chamber and then dropping slide.

Billy Ray

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Right guys, no damage to the ejector by dropping the slide.

·
Registered
489 Posts
FWIW...If you manualy drop a round into the chamber...and then let the slide drop...the extractor has to 'jump' over the round....if that makes sense. (it does in my weird brain)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's late , but I'm almost positive that I read that in the last "Complete Book of Handguns" by Ayoob. The one with the Steyr M9 on the cover.

I'll go back and look tomorrow, and report back.

In the meantime, why is it bad for the sear surface to let it run forward at full speed on a empty chamber?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
In the meantime, why is it bad for the sear surface to let it run forward at full speed on a empty chamber?
The shock of the slide slamming home causes the sear to bounce against the hammer. The finely honed edges of the sear can chip or be damaged from this impact. Once or twice probably won't hurt, but don't make a habit of dropping the slide on an empty chamber. It can ruin a good trigger job - and make a bad trigger job even worse.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<<The shock of the slide slamming home causes the sear to bounce against the hammer. The finely honed edges of the sear can chip or be damaged from this impact. Once or twice probably won't hurt, but don't make a habit of dropping the slide on an empty chamber. It can ruin a good trigger job - and make a bad trigger job even worse.>>

Thanks for explaining that Shane. Makes sense to me.

You all must forgive me. I WAS WRONG (ooh that hurts to say that)

Massad Ayoob "Complete Book of Hanguns" 2001 edition p.85 states "...[Letting the slide run forward on an empty chamber] is damaging to any semiautomatic pistol, and on the Colt/Browning desgin is harmful to the extractor and the sear."

I got Ejector mixed up w/ Extractor.

Still, I wonder. What does the Extractor have to do with all of this?
Isn't it just sitting there, if there is no cartridge in the chamber for it to have to bend around? Does the vibration of being slammed forward w/ no cartridge, do it like a tuning fork or something, and thus weaken it?
I find that far fetched.

Set me aright guys.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts

Still, I wonder. What does the Extractor have to do with all of this?
Isn't it just sitting there, if there is no cartridge in the chamber for it to have to bend around? Does the vibration of being slammed forward w/ no cartridge, do it like a tuning fork or something, and thus weaken it?
I find that far fetched.

Set me aright guys.

I find this one a little far fetched too. I really doubt that letting the slide slam home will do anything to the extractor.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
The extractor can be damaged by loading a round into the chamber, then letting the slide slam closed. This makes the claw of the extractor have to climb over the rim of the case and can cause the claw to chip or break off.
John harrison

·
Registered
80 Posts
Also St. Kuhnhausen's books show barrels that have been peened (peaned?) by the extractor. Extractor has not been clearanced in this case and is contacting the barrel on lockup. Possible broken extractor could result. Same result as loading a single round.

Tony G.

[This message has been edited by Tony Gattuso (edited 07-26-2001).]

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Other than sear/hammer hook damage, the primary areas subject to damage are the back of the bottom barrel lugs and the slide stop pin. The slide really needs the braking effect of stripping a round and feeding it into the chamber to keep this crash under control. You do this enough and those little tips on the barrel lugs will bend back and eventually break right off. You can actually fortell this damage by looking at the back of the slide to see if it is still even with the frame or has it moved forward a bit. That's what happens when those lug tips start bending. Your 1911 will be grateful if you'll release the slide stop and guide the slide forward whenever you aren't feeding a round.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I really love these comments. You people seem to have a great deal of knowledge stored up for many years. I'm not the king of trigger jobs. I consider them largely BS and have never taken them seriously. I have never seen or heard of a 1911 trigger job affected by dropping the slide on an empty chamber. I've done it to my demo guns many times to see if the hammer would follow and perhaps need to be tweaked. A good solid tigger job should go 50,000 to 75,000 rounds and be unaffected by anything you do to it. If an extractor is fitted right it will take a lot of punishment. The tip needs to be polished so that if someone new to 1911's does try the old empty mag-drop a round in trick , it won't hurt it. I had a 38 super back a few months ago that had 86,000 hot rounds through it and it still had a 2lb trigger that did not follow. I sent it back to the owner and told him to shoot it till it gave up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts