1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to have a new production nickeled 70 series. Colt still offers nickeled SAAs so they should do a 1911 too. Any Ideas mark?

·
Administrator
76,559 Posts
Take a look at all the nickeled original Series 70's people are trying to offload at gun shows and online. That should probably give you your answer. If you really want one (an original, that is) you certainly won't have to look hard. If on the other hand you really want a new one, but a blued S70 and send it off to Accurate Plating & Weaponry.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Now whats a pimp supposed to do for a good tune up piece? Oh yea, I forgot about the Lorcins in chrome!:D :biglaugh:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just like them because of the rust resistance. The bead blasted areas on both of my stainless 1911s are very susceptable to rust. the nickel doesnt.

·
Banned
380 Posts
ColtM4A3 said:
I just like them because of the rust resistance. The bead blasted areas on both of my stainless 1911s are very susceptable to rust. the nickel doesnt.
Has the definition of Stainless Steel changed since I last used it? What do you mean your stainless is rusting?!? Has it been soaked in acid? If it is rusting, then it isn't stainless and someone lied. The whole point of stainless steel guns is that they don't rust. They may get hot, but they don't rust.

·
Registered
698 Posts
superc,

Hate to burst your bubble, but you couldn't be more wrong. Stainless is much more rust resistant than carbon steel but it will rust in a heartbeat if neglected or over exposed to hostile environments. One place I have to keep a keen eye on is under the grips on my stainless S&W revolvers. I have also found rust under the grips on my stainless S&W 5906. My stainless Kahr K9 came from the factory with a little rust on the slide. I have a stainless Cold Steel Voyager Tanto lockback knife that is exposed to a lot of sweat and the blade will rust if I don't keep a thin coat of oil on it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sundance is correct. Different grades of SS have different levels of rust resistance but all have the ability to rust.

I was just joking about the "pimp" guns. I have a soft spot for bright nickel also!

·
Administrator
76,559 Posts
Yes, stainless can and does rust. I recently found a couple of small rust spots under the grips of my 1991.

·
Banned
380 Posts
Full agreement that the grade of t he stainless steel makes the difference and also that S&W Stainless rusts. Someone ran a test a few decades ago in one of the magazines (Gun Tests? American Rifleman?). Placed a few different stainless steel guns in the ocean (with some blued steel ones as a control) at a secret location then came back a few weeks (and again at the 2 month mark) later to see what was left. Ruger passed and really was, S&W didn't. Crevice corrosion was the Ruger's problem in those little crevices at pinholes, etc. But the S&W stainless was pure rust and actually worse than the blued steel S&W done as a control. Randall or AMT and Crown 1911s were also tested and the Randall and the AMTs did fairly well while the Crowns rusted. Silly me, I had assumed the industry paid attention and the current Stainless was a stainless. There was one manufacturer with actual stainless steel springs too... I'll keep an eye open for the magazine and if I find it will post the issue.

·
Registered
698 Posts
superc,

I think you are still confused. Just because a particular stainless rusts when exposed to a hostile environment, does not mean it is not stainless. I am more or less ignorant on the make-up of different steels but I think I have the overall concept of it. Steel is composed of carbon and chromium. The more chromium...the more stainless it is. In knives, if you get too much chromium and not enough carbon, it is near impossible to sharpen and also very brittle. I don't know about the advantages/disadvantages of the different steel make-ups in guns. Stainless if properly lubricated and cleaned periodically and not left on the bottom of the ocean in a torture test should be pretty well corrosion resistant. However, if neglected, especially in hidden areas where moisture can go unnoticed, such as under the grips, almost any stainless can and will rust. That does not mean it is not stainless steel.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nickeled 1911's

Back in the early 80's I had a real nice Satin Nickel Commander. It was real nice, but Dummy me sold it. Could kick myself now. Wish I had another! :mad: :hrm:

·
Banned
380 Posts
NO. It's not confusion. It merely means I have a specification in mind when I use the words "Stainless Steel" and would probably think about calling a lawyer if a supposedly "stainless steel" gun I owned started to rust. I had a Detonics stainless once. It was advertised and sold as "Stainless Steel" and guess what? It was. Even when worn and exposed daily to ocean spray. (Unlike the blue steel Colt revolver I was supposed to be wearing that actually started rusting there on the second day.) The Detonics was prone to galling if the wrong lubricant was used, but so are all true stainless steel guns if not properly lubricated. (Ruger, in my Service Six, seems to have somehow licked that.) Perhaps consumers need to force manufacturers (maybe by FTC regulation?) to call the gun metal with chrome content "Rust Resistant," instead of calling them "Stainless Steel." T'would be more honest. Remember we are NOT talking about crevice corrosion under a grip panel. What was said by ColtM4A3 was, "The bead blasted areas on both of my stainless 1911s are very susceptable to rust. " That is not acceptable.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
superc said:
NO. It's not confusion
Uh, yeah - it is.

It is stainLESS - not stainPROOF.

Stainless steel can still rust. It simply has more chromium in it than regular carbon steels, so it will not rust as easily or quickly - but it still can rust.

The bead blasted areas on both of my stainless 1911s are very susceptable to rust. " That is not acceptable.
Wrong again. Bead blasted areas are the MOST susceptible to rusting. Blasting leaves minute pockets and crevices for rust to form it. Polished areas are the least likely to develop rust.

·
Registered
396 Posts
dsk said:
Yes, stainless can and does rust. I recently found a couple of small rust spots under the grips of my 1991.
I bought a new stainless steal Gold Cup, brought it home, removed the grips, and wa-la! Rust.

It was upsetting at first, but I took it off with some emery paper and now I remove grips and oil the surface good every 3-4 uses. I can just imagine sweat from my palms seeping between the grip and frame.

·
Registered
698 Posts
It merely means I have a specification in mind when I use the words "Stainless Steel" and would probably think about calling a lawyer if a supposedly "stainless steel" gun I owned started to rust.
...and just when we thought frivolous litigation was reserved for anti-gun people...

Come-on man...Get a grip already!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didnt want to start an argument here I just was pointing out that if I leave my Kimber in my truck for a week the bead blasted areas start to rust. I just want a nickled colt for a truck gun. There is an auction saturday morning with a nickled series 70 with Ivory grips maybe I can pick it up reasonably. And then put the Ivorys on my 1953 nickled gov model.:D :D

·
Banned
380 Posts
LoL! :) Kimber?!? LoL again.

Relax. You are fine. Dumb me. Apologies to all. I thought if the writer's name was ColtM4A3 and the comment was in the Colt thread it was about a Colt problem. Never thought you meant Kimber. :) Disregard all. I'll go back to hiding in the corner now. Sorry to all for my rant.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Why did they ditch nickel? Probably the same reason S&W did, due to the EPA regulations in dealing with the waste chemicals and byproducts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts