1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my full size stainless and it came with, to my suprise, two 7rnd mags. Why don't they ship 8rnd mags?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
7rd mags are actually considered more desirable by some. Dave Lauck states in his book that he prefers the 7rd Wilson for defense. If you ever reload without the slide locked back the 7rd mags are easier to seat. They are also easy to make reliable. I think 8rd mags would just give SA more magazine related warranty problems unless they went with the Wilson mag which increaces the cost of the gun. I would pay for them, but would every one pay $30 or so more for SA 1911's with Wilson Mags?

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
Nathan..you are correct. Right now the trend seems to be going away from the 8 round mags...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just bought a TRP last night and it came with 2 7rd mags. The funny thing about it is one of the mag bumperpads has he Shooting Star emblem on it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think that Springfield gets those seven round mags for a buck or two. Eight rounders would cost SA ten bucks a pop. My new SA seven rounders are junk, they do not drop free.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just spoke with the Custom Shop about their switch to 7 round Metalform magazines with the Professional Model. They said that, for reliability reasons, all of the Pro's shipped for roughly the last 6 months have been shipped with the Metalform magazines. They will not ship the guns with any other mags---I tried. All the guns I've seen have had the 8 round Wilson mags but I suppose the future holds the 7 round Metalforms...

Reasonable spring changes will keep the 8 round Wilson mags running fine but apparently Springfield has chosen to swap mags instead of depending on user maintainance. Wonder what they'll do about the periodic recoil spring swaps?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a less than 1 mo. old TRP. Both mags are Chip Mc's, Shooting Stars whatever. No reliability probs YET, but, the night Novaks are VERY off for a 1300$$$ pistol. I love my 1911's!!!! But, why oh why?!, is my $600.00 H&K USP40 Compact, stone reliable and hits to POA?!(every one of my Glocks too) My Sprgfld Armry Stainless "loaded" 2001 Model is a great shooter, BUT FTF,FTF,FTF.............Iam really trying to continue my 1911 love, Dave

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got the mags today....all of them

Thanks, Bart!!

The first thing I noticed about them is that they are not at all like the ones that came with my 2000 Loaded model. The ones that I originally got are a flat black (parkerized?) with a military-like follower. The base is drilled and tapped with two little holes for base pads. I've never even had a hiccup with these magazines.

The ones Bart sent me are shiny blued with what looks like a chromed or polished stainless follower. The base pads say SA 45 NM and are not tapped. Overall, they are a lot prettier than my originals.

Now I have to go try them out.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'll be damned...I've been tellin' everyone to send me the SA mags they don't want for a year and now someone else is gettin' em!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts