1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stainless longslide had sharper edges then my leatherman tool. I stoned some of the edges but still need to do lots of work on it. Why does springfield send these things out without taking care of some of this stuff. I would think they could clean up the machined edges in a hurry at the factotry where they are set up to do that work. I would not take a lot of time to do, I can't imagine what a pain it would be to refinish the gun after solving the sharp edge issues. With these guns costing 600-1200 dollars the QC should also be better. I was planning another springfield purchase but am not sure I will risk the sharp edges on a blue or parkerized gun. I felt some charles daly guns that were polished out better on the edges for 40 percent of the springfield cost.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Market Demand

If I had to guess I'd say they are pushing as many out the door as possible to stay competitive with Kimber and all the others.

Consider: For every gun they make that comes back for warranty work or a complaint repair, five probably don't and get sent to a smith. So not only do the guns get to market, but there's hardly any repair work thus freeing up for more production. Now the above figures may be off, but it gives you a possible idea.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Sharp edges are the traditional form of the 1911 and probably has nothing to do with trying to ship them out the door quickly, although is doesn't slow down the process.

Note that Colts are that way as well as several other brands.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of traditionalists out there who find the sharp edges as a sign of good workmanship and clean lines. I am not one of those people.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Personally both of the SA pistols I've owned didn't bother me. Like I've posted on other threads my current SA is at least six years old. The only problem I've had with edges is the rear sight. It can draw blood during IADs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I thought all loaded springfields were suposed to have all sharpe edges removed at the factory? My loaded stainless 9151 was nice and smooth the only edges were on the cocking searations.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Sharp Edges

Sharp edges require human evaluation and control.... "Hey... that's kind of sharp." Work on it a while. "That's OK now."

In a production environment, that is the most expensive part of the process so it's the most neglected.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Had to have my Loaded melted down by my local smith. Tooo sharp for carrty and cut the sh*# out of the hands that loved her... Now she's back and feeling fine. One place I do like sharp edges is in the frontstrap after a 20 Lpi job! BTW, that's what being done next!

KM
PRK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts