1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, what a shock when I ordered my first Caspian frame. I'm taking the plunge into assembling my first 1911 (not A1) from parts Dad had from one of his old 1911's. Ordered the frame with custom numbers, Dads initials and DOB. I was hoping to have it for a Christmas present, but with the 5 week wait and my inexperience, it might have to wait until May for his birthday.
Does Caspian mine the steel and melt it down to make each frame as they are ordered, or are they just that busy turning out frames and slides?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From a business standpoint I cannot see spending 5 weeks for a $250 product. Hence, my question, are they turning out that many frames and slides? Not whining about having to wait 5 weeks, just suprised it takes that long!

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
There may be frames available that are for other projects already in the pipeline. That is pretty common. Your frame, then, is waiting for the others. It's not that it necessarily takes five weeks from start to finish. Most of that time, you are just waiting in the queue...

Be well!

·
Registered
60 Posts
you are lucky. i ordered a frame and slide from Les Baer in may. still don't have them. it's just the way things go when dealing with customs.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5 weeks or not, I'm excited about finally getting to do a project like this, and one that will mean so much to my Dad.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
ScottsGT said:
Wow, what a shock when I ordered my first Caspian frame. I'm taking the plunge into assembling my first 1911 (not A1) from parts Dad had from one of his old 1911's. Ordered the frame with custom numbers, Dads initials and DOB. I was hoping to have it for a Christmas present, but with the 5 week wait and my inexperience, it might have to wait until May for his birthday.
Does Caspian mine the steel and melt it down to make each frame as they are ordered, or are they just that busy turning out frames and slides?
The manager at the factory says,

"Hey everybody! Turn off the TV! Scott called and wants a
custom frame! Someone help me turn on this CNC machine.
He will picking it up at the second drive-thru window.
Did he want fries with that?"

Scott, seriously. No harm no foul. But you did learn a lesson about
manufacturing businesses. They always staff to a level so as never
to have anyone standing around waiting for something to do.

Try to order a non-custom .308 rifle barrel from Lilja or whomever.
Can be 6-12 weeks. Look at a fiberglass stock from McMillian: 12 weeks.

5 weeks is not bad at all.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Banned
91 Posts
Scott, try to order a DSA FAL receiver at certain times of the year. Certain versions are made at certain times of the year and ONLY at those times. Unless you are talking about buying say 50+ receivers at once and want them ASAP little will change the schedule. I could see Caspian working the same way.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
5 weeks isn't bad at all if you think about it... from milling, to finish... it's not bad. Just be happy its not a busy time and have to wait longer... I got mine in 6 weeks... I expected to wait longer than that. Plus you are getting one high quality product.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
ScottsGT said:
As is usual in craft-production, in comparison to mass-production, in the firearms industry, the roughly twenty employees at Caspian are busy turning out frames and slides. As others have noted, your order goes into the queue.

The frame blanks come from Ruger, not a local mine:biglaugh:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The frame blanks come from Ruger, not a local mine
And just when I gave up on Bill "No honest man needs more than ten rounds" Ruger, I indirectly give his company more business. :rolleyes:
At least the majority of it is going to Caspian.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Give it time

Mine was 5 weeks also, maybe a little more, that was in late July.
Still waiting.
But in all fairness I did say I was in no hurry.
From what I am told Good things are worth waiting for.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I am awaiting a Caspian commander frame for my next full house build. I would gladly wait another 5 weeks. Caspian's stuff is that good.

One thing you may or may not know is that Caspian makes parts (including slides and frames) for other name maufacturers. Gary once told me he tries to keep 80% completed frames on the shelf so that when you order one all they need to do is pull it off the shelf and modify it to your specs.

Given the popularity of Caspian's frames and other parts and their large contracts 5 weeks isn't out of line. I guess they could pump them out faster but that might lead to some QC issues. The one thing that adds to that time is a custom serial number. The finishing work on the frame is done in one area of the factory and then the frames that need a custom serial number are sent to a different part of the plant. Special serial numbers get run on Fridays. If the frame isn't there by thursday then it won't get the serial number until the following friday.

IMHO it is a very small price to pay considering the quality of the product and the price they charge for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts