1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Administrator
78,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I hit the indoor range, and I brought my Palmetto AK-V with me. As soon as I took it out of the case, pulled off the optics cover and tried to turn it on.... I discovered the battery was dead. I've had this weapon and the optic for exactly two months, and the battery was already toast! Fortunately I had it mounted with a QD release so I simply popped it off and used my iron sights instead.

And so upon returning home I decided to check out all the other optics on my guns. I found another optic with a dead battery, and two that were so weak the dot was too dim to be seen in outdoor light even at the full setting. But it gets better... I checked out the WML on my bedside handgun, and it was dead as well! I replaced that battery in the fall and never even used that weapon.

I know my house gets really cold during the winter, and I leave the heat off at night and rely on thick blankets to stay warm (the heat pump is so loud the walls reverberate). But Holy Smokes, I'm killing batteries like there's no tomorrow. This isn't the first time I've had a rash of dead batteries either. I've complained about it before on this forum.

The bottom line is, I don't trust battery-powered anything on firearms. I think I'm going to convert to QD mounts for all of my rifles as looking through the dead optic to see the sights makes for a lousy sight picture. Either that or offset sights.

·
Registered
660 Posts
That surprises me. Withvthe bears back around my place I asked my wife to turn on the trail cams. They were on trees all winter. North of Minneapolis winter. All showed near full battery life. AA batteries.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
There are optics, and then there are the optics.
There are batteries, and then there are Duracell and Renata.
And there are backup iron sights.
And then there are gun owners who can figure out how to stay on top of their electric, electronic, and electrooptic devices' batteries, and there are some that do not.

·
Administrator
78,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the batteries that come with optics are usually cheap no-name ones anyway, but still...

I just bought a bulk set of Panasonic batteries off Amazon, and I'm going to keep a spare inside the compartment of my Magpul grips. It won't help in a sudden SHTF moment, but at least I won't be dead in the water at the range. I have no idea why I suffer so many dead batteries all the time... maybe I give off negative energy. It just blew me away that I had one die after only two months and three friggin' range trips. :mad:

Fortunately I salvaged the range session pretty well, and irons still get the job done.
Air gun Trigger Font Handwriting Wood

·
Registered
9mm,45acp,400cb,30-06 - small primers forever.
2,327 Posts
Invert the battery and close compartment, for storage.

I've one "electric" - it's just a 1-3x chinee scope on a lever-mount with "illuminated recticle" - I didn't WANT the light, but fine. If it works, great - crosshairs don't care.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I just bought a bulk set of Panasonic batteries
Duracell. Seriously, use your other batteries for something else. Dot people have tested this pretty extensively, especially with ACRO P-1 battery life fiasco. I don't know what's different about Duracell but nothing is close.
I have found my optics dead once (two at the same time) - two RMRs set and locked on max or max-1, don't remember, brightness. They lasted 5 months.

Reactions: gmd3006

·
Registered
266 Posts
I can’t bring myself to commit to them either. They’re faster than irons right up until they are useless. I can live with reflex sights that co-witness if it’s worth the extra weight though.

Reactions: Che and Bobk22

·
Registered
149 Posts
Last weekend I hit the indoor range, and I brought my Palmetto AK-V with me. As soon as I took it out of the case, pulled off the optics cover and tried to turn it on.... I discovered the battery was dead. I've had this weapon and the optic for exactly two months, and the battery was already toast! Fortunately I had it mounted with a QD release so I simply popped it off and used my iron sights instead.

And so upon returning home I decided to check out all the other optics on my guns. I found another optic with a dead battery, and two that were so weak the dot was too dim to be seen in outdoor light even at the full setting. But it gets better... I checked out the WML on my bedside handgun, and it was dead as well! I replaced that battery in the fall and never even used that weapon.

I know my house gets really cold during the winter, and I leave the heat off at night and rely on thick blankets to stay warm (the heat pump is so loud the walls reverberate). But Holy Smokes, I'm killing batteries like there's no tomorrow. This isn't the first time I've had a rash of dead batteries either. I've complained about it before on this forum.

The bottom line is, I don't trust battery-powered anything on firearms. I think I'm going to convert to QD mounts for all of my rifles as looking through the dead optic to see the sights makes for a lousy sight picture. Either that or offset sights.
Everything sounds great in theory, but the older I get, the faster the years fly by, and I’m replacing enough CO detector and smoke alarm batteries every other day. Know what you mean on the dot scope and laser batteries. Had a illuminated reticle on my hunting rifle, and it seemed like the battery was dead, or breathing it’s last, every time it came out of the safe around moose season—finally replaced it with a non illuminated Mil dot scope. Similar situation with scopes years ago. My two hunting buddies swore by iron sight for where we were hunting (rains half the day or more everyday). Thought I’d just leave the caps on my rifle until ready to use it. Scope was totally fogged for the duration of that trip, and I mounted an aperture sight on that rifle the next year, which Steve and Aaron immediately commented on the following season, “ya, iron sights are the only way to go in the rain.”
The older I get the more I’m convinced simpler is better.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I agree with the OP. I want my weapon to function now, tomorrow and 10 years from now not dependent on electronics.
They don't really function any differently if you bolt down a 1.5 oz device next to iron sights.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I run Surefire and/or Streamlight batteries in all my lights. If I get a new light and it comes with a different brand battery, it gets chucked!
My 870 has been staged in my home with a Streamlight mounted on it for the last 7 years. I check it monthly and that thing still lights up the room.
I will NEVER run a Duracell battery in anything I own. I can't even tell you how many duty lights and other home electronic devices have been ruined because of a leaking Duracell.
AA and AAA I really like the Energizer Lithium. Good power and last better than anything else I've tried.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I will NEVER run a Duracell battery in anything I own. I can't even tell you how many duty lights and other home electronic devices have been ruined because of a leaking Duracell.
Six years going on doing the optic thing, multiple guns that have 16xx and 20xx batteries, several long arms with AA in rail mounted optics, all Sordins headgear set, all timers, and all smoke alarms, all Duracell. Never a problem. My wmls mostly use CR batteries.

But thanks for sharing your experience, I'll check with my buds on this.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
I keep ZipLok bags of about 15 batteries in each in my rifle cases, and another 30 or so in my range bag. I also keep a bag of them in the glove box of my truck.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
I just went shooting last week. First time in almost 1 year sad to say. Brought 5 guns with optics. Not one dead battery. They only optical I have had that I found the battery dead on in shorter than expected time frame was an aimpoint. My Leopolds, Trijicon, Jpoint and Vortecs have been reliable. I don't own any more aimpoints and probably won't again. I know that is not the normal viewpoint on aimpoint optics but that was my experience and with multiple other brands not having such issue, I will stick with the others.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts