1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
702 Posts
Panic buying by those that never thought of buying decades ago when "quality" rounds were cheap or had the forethought to take up reloading, when it too was much cheaper "component" wise than it is today.

Heck the Dillon 550Bs in the shed cost dang near 2x now as when they were originally bought. 77grn SMKs which I bought at $70/500 are now double, 8# of H4350 with the $108 price tag still on it, goes for $200 plus (if ya can find it), brass, primers and even dies are the same........none of these issues helps factory prices either.

Thank god dad and I pooled our resources a decade ago and now we just gasp at the prices folks are willing to pay.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Yup they don't seem to care that hording has drove the price to stupid levels.
Glad I stocked up a while back so I can just chill and catch a sale every one in a while,
Gene

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Because ammo manufacturing companies are in business to make money.
They are not in business to make money. They are in business to make money by making ammo. Not the other way around.
Free enterprise, they can charge whatever they want to.
Captive market, unfortunately.
As long as somebody buys, they make.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Basic Supply and Demand....look at the price of commodities today vs. a year or two ago......Copper, oil, everything is cut in half. Who would ever have thought a year or two ago that a barrel of crude oil would have fallen to below $40 ... but that's the price as of Fridays market close. We need more production or less 'hoarding' of ammo.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Your also forgetting the fact that the same manufacturers make ammo for our military and them boys and girls are still using a lot. The manufacturers have to meet deadlines by contract......so what do you think is going to be the priority in their book? Excess capacity is used to satisfy the civilian market. When our country slows down sending our boys and girls to fight wars and the government slows down supplying arms to other countries, then we will be back in a surplus mode and prices should drop some.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
That's like asking why is gas $2.75 a gallon when oil is $30 a barrel.

Production and labor costs , transportation costs.

Price any reloading componants lately?

As long as people pay these inflated prices , why should prices drop?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Actually, prices are coming down as demand has softened and vendors are having trouble moving it especially the "remanufactured" stuff when you can buy factory at about the same price if you shop. If you buy off the internet and don't waste your time with the local gun shops or the gun show gougers you can find some good deals right now that are right about pre-panic prices and you are starting to see the mail-order guys starting to throw in shipping. For me, WalMart's prices are too high compared with what I can buy ammo for on the web.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Interesting discussion here.
I agree with the supply & demand but you folks seem to be leaving out one important fact.
Panic buying
And why is there panic buying????

When our illustrious, elected leaders, in their infinite wisdom :)scratch::confused:) decide from time to time that they want to start a new round of bans & restrictions on our rights, folks get scared & they start buying beyond what the supply chain can keep up with.
Manufacturers try to keep pace, sometimes adding new shifts to keep production up.

Those shifts cost the manufacturers money, which they in turn pass on to us consumers.

Kind of the same way that futures traders several years ago predicted oil prices would rise....and they indeed did, driving fuel prices to $5.00 & more a gallon.

Now, futures traders & our elected officials are not the same animal but the practice holds.

If Uncle Sugar would stop trying to usurp our rights, I believe that panic buying would end, the demand would stay steady & supply could keep pace.

Just my take on this issue but past actions have to be taken into account here.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...And why is there panic buying????

When our illustrious, elected leaders, in their infinite wisdom :)scratch::confused:) decide from time to time that they want to start a new round of bans & restrictions on our rights, folks get scared & they start buying beyond what the supply chain can keep up with.
Manufacturers try to keep pace, sometimes adding new shifts to keep production up...

There was no threat of any Federal laws being passed this last go 'round that started at the end of 2012. Hoarders caused this, pure & simple.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Excuse me, but didn't the Obozo administration threaten to enact "common sense" gun legislation in the wake of Sandy Hook (Dec 2012). I believe he did. Even if he had to do it buy executive fiat (remember, pen & phone).
And congress was right there with him. I seem to remember guns & ammo flying off of the shelves in the ensuing panic.

And please, what is YOUR definition of a hoarder?
And please explain how they are totally responsible.

·
Registered
874 Posts
When panic drove prices up, they found out we'd still buy it at high prices. Why in Gods' name would they drop prices much if they know we will pay it? Stop buying it, the price will drop, sort of like how AR-15 prices are dropping.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
what were metal prices in '05 compared to now?
Cause that's the last time i can recall seeing brass 45 for 20 cents pr rnd
and 9mm 11 cents

early '06 is when metal prices (and ammo) started to rise.
Buy late '07 they stabilized

ammo prices are pretty much at '07 prices now

i was paying $167 for a case of Wolf 9mm in '07
i can buy a case now for $187

brass 9 was $199 a case
i can buy it now (Speer Lawman) for $219)

what price do you think it "should" be?

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Not to mention that ammo makers are buying metals 6-12 months in advance.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ever heard of Overhead? (being very simple here)?? Lot more to it than commodity prices.
They have had the same relative overhead for years. As well, Win. dumped the unions in IL & moved to MS where they pay peanuts.

Not to mention that ammo makers are buying metals 6-12 months in advance.
http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/copper_historical_large.html

The fact of the matter is that if the hoarders would back off then prices would plummet.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Panic buying by those that never thought of buying decades ago when "quality" rounds were cheap or had the forethought to take up reloading, when it too was much cheaper "component" wise than it is today.

Heck the Dillon 550Bs in the shed cost dang near 2x now as when they were originally bought. 77grn SMKs which I bought at $70/500 are now double, 8# of H4350 with the $108 price tag still on it, goes for $200 plus (if ya can find it), brass, primers and even dies are the same........none of these issues helps factory prices either.

Thank god dad and I pooled our resources a decade ago and now we just gasp at the prices folks are willing to pay.
I don't get you....did you buy so much you never need to buy again.
I buy but shoot it....a lot.
Just having large ammo stock and watching prices go up ( what don't ) and not shooting it don't thrill me

1 - 20 of 35 Posts