1911Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
The fact of the matter is that if the hoarders would back off then prices would plummet.

I feel the same way about Ferrari purchasers..,

·
Registered
470 Posts
The fact of the matter is that if the hoarders would back off then prices would plummet.
The fact of the matter is; you are wrong, hoarders do no drive up prices, they have nothing to do with prices rising no matter how much they buy. The federal government buys millions of rounds a year and this doesn't affect the rising prices either.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Interesting discussion here.
I agree with the supply & demand but you folks seem to be leaving out one important fact.

And why is there panic buying????

When our illustrious, elected leaders, in their infinite wisdom :)scratch::confused:) decide from time to time that they want to start a new round of bans & restrictions on our rights, folks get scared & they start buying beyond what the supply chain can keep up with.
Manufacturers try to keep pace, sometimes adding new shifts to keep production up.

Those shifts cost the manufacturers money, which they in turn pass on to us consumers.

Kind of the same way that futures traders several years ago predicted oil prices would rise....and they indeed did, driving fuel prices to $5.00 & more a gallon.

Now, futures traders & our elected officials are not the same animal but the practice holds.

If Uncle Sugar would stop trying to usurp our rights, I believe that panic buying would end, the demand would stay steady & supply could keep pace.

Just my take on this issue but past actions have to be taken into account here.
and when the present administration wanted to punish law abiding gun owners, they decided to hoard huge amounts of ammo and then destroyed an equal amount(1 billion rounds of all calibers)--brilliant

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The fact of the matter is; you are wrong, hoarders do no drive up prices, they have nothing to do with prices rising no matter how much they buy. The federal government buys millions of rounds a year and this doesn't affect the rising prices either.
in order to shoot,most of us need to by ammo. Ammo is the key to controlling us too. ask the potus

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
what were metal prices in '05 compared to now?
Cause that's the last time i can recall seeing brass 45 for 20 cents pr rnd
and 9mm 11 cents

early '06 is when metal prices (and ammo) started to rise.
Buy late '07 they stabilized

ammo prices are pretty much at '07 prices now

i was paying $167 for a case of Wolf 9mm in '07
i can buy a case now for $187

brass 9 was $199 a case
i can buy it now (Speer Lawman) for $219)

what price do you think it "should" be?

..L.T.A.
becaus e of the governments influence,gasoline products are the only commoditie s I know of that did not really have their prices keep up with the inflationary prices of most other goods( ammo, food, clothes,cars.....)

@26-28 cents a round for 45 acp and 20 cents a round for 9mm brass, I think there might be a bit more of a price decrease coming, but not much more. we will see what the Xmas sales bring

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
There was no threat of any Federal laws being passed this last go 'round that started at the end of 2012. Hoarders caused this, pure & simple.
government hoarding caused public hoarding(and a panic) and government bogus laws( 223/556 green tip) caused panicked buying , thus demand keeps the prices up--keeps the 1%ers happy too

·
Premium Member
9,163 Posts
expensive when metal prices are in the crapper? :scratch:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...t-mining-companies/ar-BBlVggo?ocid=spartanntp

If everyone would lay off buying ammo for a few months the prices would plummet. As it is, ammo makers are laughing all the way to the bank. Hello, suckers. :)
The base price of metal is probably a fraction of a cent compared to the value added (labor and overhead expenses) in the manufacturing of everything from primers, bullet, powder loading, marketing, distribution,etc. IMHO.

·
Registered
15,655 Posts
Because our cash ain't nothing but trash. It's not because the prices have gone up - it's because the value of your money has gone down. I fear it's only going to get worse.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Ammo prices have come down A LOT. They are still a bit high, but this may be the low point leading up to the election. We are one school shooting away from another panic.

·
Premium Member
3,255 Posts
In San Antonio, the problem isn't hoarding but rather gouging. I don't get to see the purchase documents from Academy Sports and Outdoors or Wal Mart but Academy is always higher. The only thing not available is .22 magnum. Other .22's are plentiful - though the cheaper Rem. Thunderbolts disappear more quickly at Academy for $2.29 per 50. I haven't seen .22 mag in many months.

Is the high cost attributable to the makers or the distributors or the retailers? I can't answer that but it is in one or more of those 3. Government contracts have been done for months and current production is for the civilian market.

All I know is I'm glad I bought big before the current POTUS was elected or, for that matter, even foreseeable. I refuse to pay 34 cents for .223/5.56 when I have 50K rounds at 18 cents. I only paid 21 cents for green tip that is now around 33 cents. I currently have almost 3,000 lbs. of clean, spent brass that isn't worth going to sell. That tells me the middlemen/retailers are making a killing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
22 long rifle is just like silver......the average joe buys it to make himself feel good.

75.00 bucks for a brick is nuts.......but the nuts are buying it.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
22 long rifle is just like silver......the average joe buys it to make himself feel good.

75.00 bucks for a brick is nuts.......but the nuts are buying it.
Have not paid more than $0.065 per round for plinking ammo this year. Paid a bit more for some specialty stuff.

On a side note I picked up some 7.62x51 ammo today for $0.50 a round. Not a bad price.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts