1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just beside myself wanting a new Colt 1991A1, but blue is $585 and stainless is $645. A Springfield mil spec is $425. Why is the Colt SO much more than the Springfield? It can't be THAT much better, can it?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,534 Posts
It's not so much that it's better, as it's more expensive to bring to market. The Springer has a rough, phosphate finish, and is built in Brazil. The Colt has a polished, blue finish, wood stocks, and is made in the USA. The Colt is more expensive to make, so it costs more. I think they are both good deals.

·
Administrator
75,220 Posts
Colts also use more forged and cast parts in their construction. The SA uses mostly cheaper MIM parts except for the slide, frame and barrel.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Oversea's labor, $2.50/hour, USA labor $12.50/hour. Plus the difference in material. I will always buy the Colt (or car) because my money stays here.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Union shop...$12.50/hour? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
470 Posts
WHAT?

I will always buy the Colt (or car) because my money stays here.
Does that include Toyota;Honda & Nissan? They all have factories here and use lots of American parts.:confused:

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
OK roboshed, this is something I know about. The money goes overseas and it doesn't come back. All the design and development for makes such as Honda, Nissan, and Toyota is done over seas. All we have are assembly plants. It is cheaper to built them here, except the case for Korean cars, and then ship them here.

Colt's plants are here. Forgings, machineing, and anything else with respect to the design, manufacure, and selling is here.

There is a big difference with respect to Colt and automobiles.

And you are correct AZ, they probably pay more than $12.50 an hour for floor sweepers. A lot more.

·
Registered
470 Posts
this is something I know about.

OK roboshed, this is something I know about. The money goes overseas and it doesn't come back. All the design and development for makes such as Honda, Nissan, and Toyota is done over seas. All we have are assembly plants. It is cheaper to built them here,
Just to make a quick point and not to beleaguer this issue but All the manufacturers stated above have design studios in the greater LA California area where the the majority of the autos developed are inked out with a variety of other tasks sent to a variety of other locations nationally and internationally. This also included prior studios in the Detroit area which have moved to the west coast for a variety of proprietary reasons. Your point is that the PONY is a pure bread American firearm with mostly US parts and it rivals and surpasses some of it's competition. Colt still makes some great guns. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you guys noticed that on the window stickers of 2003 cars there is a listing of the % of parts made in USA and elsewhere. A Honda lists 97% US made parts/3% Japan. A Chev. lists 88% Mexico/ 12% US. But I have to agree with John that the money makes its way overseas and dosen't come back.

Colt, I believe is at least all US but who knows who actually owns Colt industries.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Radar said:
Colt, I believe is at least all US but who knows who actually owns Colt industries.
According to Hoover's (the financial info website), Colt's Manufacturing Company, Inc. is a privately-held company, which is about 83% owned by New York investment firm Zilkha & Co.

Donald Zilkha is the Chairman of the Board. Hard to find much info on him but, if you do a Google search, you'll find stuff (unknown how much of it's true) that claims he is of Iraqi-Jewish heritage and was supposedly a contributor to the campaign of anti-gun NY Senator Charles Schumer.

·
Registered
210 Posts
PegasusX said:
According to Hoover's (the financial info website), Colt's Manufacturing Company, Inc. is a privately-held company, which is about 83% owned by New York investment firm Zilkha & Co.

Donald Zilkha is the Chairman of the Board. Hard to find much info on him but, if you do a Google search, you'll find stuff (unknown how much of it's true) that claims he is of Iraqi-Jewish heritage and was supposedly a contributor to the campaign of anti-gun NY Senator Charles Schumer.
Not to dispute any of your info, but how can the owner of a major manufacturer openly support a senator who is actively trying to destroy his industry? :confused:

·
Registered
378 Posts
TheHardcase said:
Not to dispute any of your info, but how can the owner of a major manufacturer openly support a senator who is actively trying to destroy his industry? :confused:
He probably owns Colt just like normal people own stocks. He really doesn't care about guns, just wants to make money. Probably wants Colt to get government contracts so he doesn't have to help us evil people kill ourselves... oops, I mean let the guns makes us kill ourselves :rolleyes:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Why do Colts cost more than a Springfield? Same stuff RickB said, plus the 1991's I've seen have had better barrel fit and nicers triggers than Springfields. If you lay the two side by side I think you'll definitely see the Colts is worth every penny just on looks alone.

·
Registered
112 Posts
think about this for a minute. a person usually supports a person running for office based on a wide range of issues-generally not because of one specific issue. if you supported a person based on one issue there is a good chance you might get short changed on some issues that are in opposition to your thoughts idiologically in other areas.
contributors to office seekers are also seeking a way to have influence in areas of personal concern. your choice of who you support is often the choice of a lesser evil with the hope of being able to influence this evil spirit to some degree.
one must admit that activism is important to our form of government. it must also be admitted that this is a very liberal conept--check out china and almost all of the governments thruout history. ours is the most liberal form of government EVER created, and i like it. i get to think, share my thoughts liberally without fear, take a stand on what i believe without fear of imprisonment or worse. if we were not a liberal people, able to change to meet the needs of people then who would make the choices. yes i like a liberal nation-and so do you-and i respect your right to take a stand on issues important to you.
i digress-no person is ever going to, i hope, ever be elected because of a one issue platform. he is going to have to take a stand on many issues-and i want to know what his stance is going to be-i also want to be able to communicate and influence him on issues important to ME.
soapbox is open.
blessings

·
Registered
24 Posts
TheHardcase said:
As I stated, I don't know how much of this stuff is true, but here's a white paper published by Northwestern University's Kellogg Graduate School of Management in November 2000 about Colt's Manufacturing Company. Lots of interesting information, including comments about Zilkha's support of Schumer and a resultant boycott by the NRA.

http://www.kellogg.nwu.edu/faculty/diermeier/ftp/studentprojects/Fall2000/Colt.doc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not to start a war on economic theory, but money spent here to buy "foreign" products, like Japanese cars for example, doesn't "go overseas and never comes back". It can't actually go overseas since dollars are legal tender only here. The offshore company can only spend that money here, either by using it to buy something in the US or exchanging it for their own currency through someone who will use it in the US (like a bank). They can (and do) use it to build plants and buy parts and pay salaries here, ultimately driving US GDP. Another example is that during the 80's the Japanese were using the money to buy property and companies in the US, particulary in California. Everyone was worried that Japan was "buying" the US with money we gave to them through their products, and they were the business "geniuses" who were running us off the world economic centerstage. That was at the peak of a boom period, of course, and with the recession that followed, the Japanese sold off a lot of those properties (back to Americans) at heavy losses, and then those same Japanese "geniuses" looked like total idiots who got taken to the cleaners by the smarter "sell high, buy (back) low" Americans. Where did the money go all that time? It was actually always here. So the infamous "trade deficit" is not the same kind "doom and gloom" problem the TV news wants you to think it is. Of course there's a lot more to it, but in any case, that's what I remember from monetary and macroeconomic theory.

·
Registered
42 Posts
colt pricing

go to the library and take a look at the blue book. most Colts are now worth more than their original suggested retail price. my Anaconda is worth almost 3 times what I paid for it new in 1998. take for example a Single Action Army, in 1900 you could get a new one for a $20 gold piece. now in mint condition it's worth at least 10 times what that same $20 gold piece is. :cool:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts