1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will state it up front. I am a 100% certifiable Colt fanatic. That being said, I do own one Norinco and have owned several Norinco's, Springfields, Wilsons, Kimbers, and various other 1911's. Most all of them have been good guns. What I have a tough time understanding is everyones scramble to own a new model 1911 from a company that has never built a 1911 style pistol before, such as S&W and possibly the new Sig version. Everyone seems to clammer to them like there is a shortage of quality 1911's on the market. I would prefer to let everyone else be the "test subjects" and work the bugs out first before I would ever buy one of these new upstarts.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,305 Posts
That's what I said about my friend's '64 Mustang! :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
597 Posts
Anyone else remember when you could get a standard Kimber for $500? And look what happened, now they're $100+ more, and the new ones aren't as good (in my opinion).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts
From a certain point of view, there IS a shortage of quality 1911's on the market. Some people, me included, see Kimbers, Springfields, Colts, and Dan Wessons as poor values. I'm also unimpressed with the S&W 1911. If the new SIG 1911 can beat all of those guns at a reasonable price, I'll be first in line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
We Jump for the newest addition to the 1911 builds in hopes of finding something great at a low price, before the manufacturer realizes its great and charges accordingly.. Its always nice to see a new aproach to an old design.. I love my colts, but just because it has no pony doesn't mean I won't like it.. I havn't bought any off brand 1911's yet, but some day one might come up that really grabs me.. I have high hopes for a sig built 1911, but if the quality isn't there.. it won't go home with me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
In my neck of the woods, the market IS limited, due to evil legislators and AGs. I CANNOT buy a Colt 1911 for love or money. Nor can I buy a Kimber or Springfield, or Les Baer, or <the list goes on>.

The ONLY new 1911s that I can buy here in Mass are the S&W 1911 ($699) or an SVI for ~$2500. I am excited about the new Sig because sig sells lots of pistols here, so they know how to certify them for sale in Mass. I only hope they do it for their new 1911.

Colt and the rest have never bothered to jump through the hoops to sell their guns here; they could care less about the citizens of this state and thier Second Amendment rights. They can keep their guns as far as I'm concerned. If they won't support me by at least giving me a chance to buy one of their products, I sure as hell won't support them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,320 Posts
As others have said, many people like to be the first to have the new item on the block, and many like to get in on the ground floor assuming prices will go up (this often DOES happen--look at Tikka rifles). If it doesn't work out, you can always trade it off.

I bought my wrx its first year out, and its been alot of fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Emoto said:


Colt and the rest have never bothered to jump through the hoops to sell their guns here; they could care less about the citizens of this state and thier Second Amendment rights. They can keep their guns as far as I'm concerned. If they won't support me by at least giving me a chance to buy one of their products, I sure as hell won't support them.
Before you get all caught up in righteous indignation about some company possible apathy towards the rights of citizens of a state let me ask you this: Why should they care when the citizens of the state themselves obviously do/did not? Since such laws were passed and not rescinded, they amounts to a big "Go Away" to the manufacturers. And they did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Emoto said:
Colt and the rest have never bothered to jump through the hoops to sell their guns here; they could care less about the citizens of this state and thier Second Amendment rights.
Wrong, the CITIZENS of your state don't care about their Second Ammendment rights. That's why the CITIZENS of your state elected representatives who passed laws that restrict commerce involving firearms in your state. Colt is not to blame for not wanting to do business where the CITIZENS have made it clear that they do not want them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,783 Posts
UdontnoME said:
I would prefer to let everyone else be the "test subjects" and work the bugs out first before I would ever buy one of these new upstarts.
If it were Kel-Tec releasing a new 1911, I would be agreeing with you. Since SIG has a good reputation for not introducing crap, I won't pass one up when I see a good deal on one.

I'm not usually the first one out of the gate on a new line of guns for several reasons -- one of which is that it generally takes a while for the price to stabilize. Many gun shops bank on being able to charge more for scarce guns for which there's a high fever pitch of demand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,320 Posts
I don't blame the companies for saying "adios" when such laws are passed, but on the other hand I have a certain amount of sympathy for the poster, being myself from a state where you feel like a prisoner/voice crying in the wilderness. I vote in every damn election, and except for Ronald Reagan (well, and I guess Bush though he was a "he's not as bad as Gore" vote for me) no one I vote for ever wins. We got stuck with Schumer. We got stuck with Hillary. And of course, everyone will say "well, move". I did for awhile (to NH--Live Free or Die!), but the reality is my family is all here, their health isn't getting any better, and if I want to have much time to spend with them before its too late its good to be closer. Some day when its just me I may well move west, but to some degree I'm stuck here now. I just wish there was some other recourse--that people here would stop being such idiots and voting for the likes of Hillarty and such. But I swear, most are far inferior to my cats in the brains department...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,480 Posts
Why are folks willing to be test subjects? Simple. They are not satisfied or impressed with current makers. Heck, how do you think Kimber and Springfield were able grab so much of the 1911 market from Colt? Colt turned out a large number of less than impressive 1911s for quite some time, disgruntled customers and so they figured that trying a new brand had to be better than buying a Colt. These other brands also offered different features.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Parker Dean said:
Before you get all caught up in righteous indignation about some company possible apathy towards the rights of citizens of a state let me ask you this: Why should they care when the citizens of the state themselves obviously do/did not? Since such laws were passed and not rescinded, they amounts to a big "Go Away" to the manufacturers. And they did.
Your statement would carry water in an ideal world. However, given the "quality" of TV and newspapers here, it should come as no surprize that most people here are like mushrooms: kept in the dark and fed manure. Most of them have no idea how draconian the gun laws here are. And the pres of the senate here does not let ANYTHING get discussed that he does not approve of, so every time gun owners (of which there are plenty) find a sympathetic legislator to propose "Fixes" to the current laws, the leadership makes sure it never sees the light of day, and the newspapers do not report on it. All that has to happen is for our AG to "post" regulations and if the legislature does nothing, they regs become law. It is one screwed up and corrupt deal. The depth of political corruption hand in hand with media collusion in this state is staggering.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I won't drag things out, but it is bad here and I would leave if I thought I could get another job without losing most of what I have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
Sig Pic's

Was just on Sig's website. Tommorrow or the next day Sig will be posting information on the new release "ROCK". The children on the Sig Forum will look like the road apples they currently smell like when it happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Emoto said:
Your statement would carry water in an ideal world. However, given the "quality" of TV and newspapers here, it should come as no surprize that most people here are like mushrooms: kept in the dark and fed manure. Most of them have no idea how draconian the gun laws here are. And the pres of the senate here does not let ANYTHING get discussed that he does not approve of, so every time gun owners (of which there are plenty) find a sympathetic legislator to propose "Fixes" to the current laws, the leadership makes sure it never sees the light of day, and the newspapers do not report on it.
So you're saying that what you see is similar to, but more locked-down, than a bunch of other states?


All that has to happen is for our AG to "post" regulations and if the legislature does nothing, they regs become law. It is one screwed up and corrupt deal. The depth of political corruption hand in hand with media collusion in this state is staggering.
Wow. At the risk of getting this thread booted to the politics subboard... I assume you don't mean "become law" as in become the regulations under which the department (DMV, whatever) operates but rather you mean "become law" as in become law. How long as MA gone with this intermingling of the Executive and Legislative branch powers, in the hands of the Executive? This disturbs me more than what they're doing with it.


D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
justdavid said:
So you're saying that what you see is similar to, but more locked-down, than a bunch of other states?


Yes.

Wow. At the risk of getting this thread booted to the politics subboard... I assume you don't mean "become law" as in become the regulations under which the department (DMV, whatever) operates but rather you mean "become law" as in become law. How long as MA gone with this intermingling of the Executive and Legislative branch powers, in the hands of the Executive? This disturbs me more than what they're doing with it.
D.
I don't want this thread booted either, so I will stop after this. Here is a pretty good explanation of some of it from our state gun org: http://www.goal.org/fraud/FRAUD.htm

Feel free to PM me about any of this stuff, if you like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
I'm a simple person and I live by simple rules. One of those rules is "never follow the masses and blaze your own path." With that being said I will now say that I will not be purchasing a new Sig 1911. I am happy and impressed with my Wilson and Springer. I do own a Sig P-220 and am very impressed with it as well, to the point I use it as my duty/carry/work weapon. If I happen across a Sig 1911 for a good price some time down the road, after they have a proven track record, I might buy one, but not until I hear that they are worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
UdontnoME said:
I will state it up front. I am a 100% certifiable Colt fanatic. That being said, I do own one Norinco and have owned several Norinco's, Springfields, Wilsons, Kimbers, and various other 1911's. Most all of them have been good guns. What I have a tough time understanding is everyones scramble to own a new model 1911 from a company that has never built a 1911 style pistol before, such as S&W and possibly the new Sig version. Everyone seems to clammer to them like there is a shortage of quality 1911's on the market. I would prefer to let everyone else be the "test subjects" and work the bugs out first before I would ever buy one of these new upstarts.
I'm with you on that UME.

I'm not a big fan of your choice of hand grips but......

:biglaugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Marketing

Someone asked why do we buy the way we buy. It reminded me of my marketing classes in college. In our case, the illustration is the 1911.

Taken from http://www.ifla.org/VII/s34/pubs/glossary.htm:

Persons or agencies that adopt an innovation are often classified into five groups according to the sequence of their adoption of it.


1) Innovators (first 2-5%);

2) Early adopters (10-15%)'

3) Early majority (next 35%);

4) Late majority (next 35%);

5) Laggards (final 5-10%).

This is important when considering how long it may take for the general public to 'adopt' a product or service.


I'm a late majority. Although since I've been lusting for a 1911, and can't decide, this is just another option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
1911's are one of the few handguns that are produced by many manufacturers, so there is always the promise of a "better" one around the corner.

Plus, this is the first entry of a 1911 by a major manufacturer that's known for their quality and consistencey I believe. You may not like Sigs, but they don't produce many "dogs" either.

Glock and H&K next??
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top