1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Foredom motor tool in the Brownells catalog. I was thinking about getting it for my workbench. My question, though, is the tool is slower and less horsepower than a Dremel tool. Why would this be a better tool? Longevity? ?

Thanks for any help,
Steve

·
Registered
21,770 Posts
Yup, it is more durable. Service life for a Dremel in my FLG's shop was about 6 months. He got a Foredom and has had no further failures in some years. Dremel is fine for hobby use.

You do have a license for that thing, don't you?

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
There's no comparison between the two.
The Foredom has MUCH more torque, and is available in even more powerful versions, like 1/8 horsepower models.

In addition, you can get a variety of hand pieces.
There are several that hold collets, one that has a Jacobs chuck, a wood checkering head, and one that's a hammer for doing riveting or stippling.

Because of the smaller hand piece, the Foredom is more controllable, and the foot operated rheostat gives MUCH more control.

The Moto-tool is for hobbyist. Serious people spend the money for a Foredom.

As for quality.....I've been using the same Foredom I got at watchmaking school in 1969. It's seen HEAVY daily use, both for watchmaking, and gunsmithing. Other than replacing the shaft covering once, and doing routine maintenance, it's still going strong.
Actually, I don't expect to ever wear it out.

I suggest getting one with the #30 Jacobs chuck hand piece.
This is a good compromise, since it will hold anything from 0" to 5/32".

Be sure to either buy or make a hook assembly to mount on the bench. This is just a short pole with a hook that the motor unit is hung from. One about 3 feet tall is about right. Attach it to the side of your work area, with the hook about 3 feet above the bench top.

Again, when you get serious, you buy a Foredom.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Good call on the hook. If you can, either make the hook adjustable, or have several hooks on one riser so you can move the motor up and down.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have to agree with dfaris, the Foredom tool is alot easier to control than the Dremel type tools.The torque advantage over the Dremel allows you to use it at slower speeds if needed without bogging down. I was somewhat apprehensive of the foot controller,but after using it I think I prefer that over the speed switch.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I've not seen the best that Dremel has, my exposure has only been the $40 type you can buy at Walmart. Having said that, my Foredom equipment has a quality feel and smoothness a Dremel could never match. Got the cheaper "carbon pile" (or something to that effect) foot controller, seems kinda difficult to control with precision so I have it bolt-stopped to operate the same speed every time I use it in checkering grips. Electronic controller probably be much easier. Hung my Foredom from the ceiling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts