1911Forum banner

Why is the 1911 #1?

3K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  garrettwc 
#1 ·
I have owned 1911’s for 18 yrs. I try other designs, but always return to the 1911. Is it the styling? Maybe it’s the feel? Although a junior member maybe I am addicted?

#2 ·
Because nearly every service auto from 1911 until the '70s has become obsolete. Those designed since then, Glock et al, are made to be cheap to build, light to carry, simple to operate, and durable in the field. That gets them government contracts.
The 1911 is made to shoot. Getting a good 19th/early 20th century design made right in the 21st runs the cost up, but I think it is worth it.

#3 ·
It shoots. By that I mean that it just feels right to me and I do not have to work as hard to shoot accurately as I do my P7 or my G23 (notice I did not say Glock) because of the trigger pull and slimness of the grip. I love it when I can introduce the 1911 to the modern DA/SA shooter at the range. They often say they had no idea they shot that well.

#4 ·
My hunting buddy is a confirmed Beretta pistol owner, and has a M84 in 380 and a Cougar in shorty forty. I have handed him one of my 3 series 80's on several occasions, and he obviously shoots them better than his own pistols, yet will not entertain the idea of buying a Colt, even though he hits better with them and complete teardown is not the nightmare his are. Go figure............

#5 ·
The 1911 is the best purely-designed fighting handgun ever made. The combination of large caliber, short trigger reset, and ergonomic design makes it tops. The new designs only better it in ease of manufacture and carry weight.

Plus it looks cool.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

#6 ·
"Ergonomic" is a pretty fancy term for a country boy like me, but a 1911 feels good in my hand.

The .45 ACP round is impressive-looking if you are used to .38/9mm ammo.

Long-time wheelgunners like me are unreasonably pleased with those one or two extra rounds.

There seems to be no limit to what you can do to "sweeten" your 1911-style gun.

Anyway, those are some of the reasons I think I like my Kimber so much. I'm new to 1911s, but it's like something else which I won't mention: it appears that "once you go .45, you'll never go back."

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

#8 ·
Only one other handgun elicits the same feelings from me as the M1911. That gun is the Browning Hi-Power. John Browning's genius will live as long as men shoot handguns.

Nothing else comes close to these pistols, even though I own and shoot several other types, including Glocks.

#13 ·
Hey!!! I was going to say they are the sexiest guns, but you beat me to it.

------------------
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER

#14 ·
I just became an addict!!!

------------------
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER

[This message has been edited by chappy256 (edited 10-29-2001).]

#16 ·
Why are 1911's the best? Here's a few good reasons:
1) Best trigger in an auto period
2) Most are asthetically pleasing to the eye
3) Can be had in numerous calibers (although I prefer a 45)
4) Combat Proven in 2 World Wars and numerous conflicts.
5) Parts are readily available
6) Easily customized
7) Fits most hands well
8) Numerous manufacturers to choose from
9) Can be made extremely accurate
10) The design has no equal even after 90 years.

------------------

#17 ·
Hey, just the mere name "1911" means something. It means "since 1911", much like aged wine that has finally matured. It means constant refinement over 90 years of use. It means old-world quality and durability. It means forged steel. And its name was given by the world's most powerful military, not by a bunch of execs sitting around a table.

Besides, how could you possibly call #1 a gun who's name sounds more like a strangled chicken?

GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCKKKKK...

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

#21 ·
Power.

Accuracy.

Simplicity.

Dependability.

Understated elegance.

Nothing else feels like a 1911; nothing else shoots like a 1911; and nothing else looks like a 1911.

Chuck

#22 ·
I asked JimH, the moderator of the LEO section, the same question the other day.

It's easy to shoot and it's the right caliber
Hard to argue with simple logic like that.

------------------
The United States Constitution (C)1791 - All rights reserved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.