1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought four wilson 47D magazines and i want to know why when i pull one from my mag pouch, pocket, etc. i have to run my thumb across the top the reseat the top round so it will feed when i chamber my pistol. the slightest bump will put the top round at the wrong angle. is this normal? my factory mags don't have the same problem. i have had several failures to chamber the first round unless i reseat the top round with my thumb. i see this as a liability in a combat situation because you are not going to be thinking about checking your mag when you reload your pistol. i may discard them for another type. and, no, the pistol i am using them in has no reliability problems with other mags. just pissed about spending so much money on useless mags. rant off.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I recommend the 7 round Wilson magazines in .45 ACP.

I have had zero problems with the 7 rounders.

I have heard of problems with 8 round magazines in .45.

You may be able to change the follower to convert your 8 rd. to 7 rd.

-Mk.IV

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I use nothing but 8 rd. Wilsons with NO problems. Does this "unseating" happen with all four of your mags? If so, I would say to check how you are pulling them out of your mag holders - you gotta be catching the first round on something. If it's only one mag that's doing it, send it back to Wilson - they will replace it.

Also, compare all four mags feed lips - make sure they look the same and you don;t notice any unusual dings or bends.

Wilson mags are the best 45 mags out there. Period. Find out what's causing the problem.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
It almost sounds like you are not getting the last loaded round seated properly when you loaded your mags. If the round is not pushed all the way in, then is can slip forward. You should get positive feedback when you insert the round, almost feeling a click as it seats into position.

Does this happen to all the mags or just one of them? Wilson mags are not prone to this sort of problem, so if it is happening to all four, my guess is that it is something you are doing or something with your mag pouch.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, it does this with all mags. and no, it is not something i am doing. i handle my other mags the same way and have no problems. i fully seat the last round and the slightest touch, not just my mag pouch, will set the top round at an almost flat trajectory. i have to make sure to check the top round before i load the mag or it will jam the gun. i have sat and experimented with the mags, all it takes is a slight touch and the top round is unseated.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
You can get three or four Shooting Stars for the price of one Wilson; give them a try.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
OK - I give up. Call Wilsons and see what they say. Let us know.

PS - is your ammo reloads? What is OAL?

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 05-14-2001).]

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
"i fully seat the last round and the slightest touch, not just my mag pouch, will set the top round at an almost flat trajectory."

Well, I was able to duplicate the round popping out of the mag ONLY after I made sure the round was not properly seated. That is truly bizarre. I am sure blinder will make you a heck of an offer on them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i will probably just go with another brand, just frustrated that i have already spent so much money on the magazines. thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
You should get those mags to wilson, including a photo of what happens when you pull them from a pouch. Wilson will make it right, and that's one of the reasons they aren't cheap. I've never seen anything similar to this problem, and would tend to blame the shooter, but Wilson needs to look at them. They will handle it very quickly.

·
Registered
441 Posts
What ammo is this problem happening with, reloaded, factory, or both?

------------------
Neil
"I AM my brothers keeper"

[This message has been edited by Neil Casper (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i only use factory ammo in my 1911s. i have not started reloading for them yet. i reload for my hunting rifles, though. i am kinda scared to start reloading for my pistols. i can't afford many more additional hobbies. i may try and tune the mags myself, or at least one of them and see how it does. i also want to try metalform and McCormick Power mags. i think i just got some bum mags that are going to take some fitting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no, i don't tune my own 1911s. but i think i should, the last one took two trips to the factory for repair. it still ain't right. dave williams e-mailed me and said if i send it back AGAIN, he'll make it right. why didn't someone make it right the first two times?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry for the duplicate post in another string, but this post belongs here too.

While I have had no direct experience with 8 round magazines, I have heard about enough problems with them to make me wary.
Colt and Wilson magazines work reliably for me. The Wilson mags have a removeable baseplate for easy cleaning. I believe that the design of the follower increases reliability in pistols that jam with other magazines.

I have been using the standard, #47, 7 round, stainless, magazines with the .350 inch thick baseplate.

I recently obtained a couple of the #47CB, 7 round magazines with the low-profile, steel baseplate. These stainless magazines are finished with Wilson's Black Armor-Tuff and they look sharp!
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/accessories/magazines.asp

-Mk.IV

IP: Logged

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Don't know, but since Dave is the Boss at the shop I think you can believe him...I see you have problems with your pistols and your mags...why not send the whole mess back to Dave and let him make good on his claims or not and then your righteous indignation will be justified when referring to someone you have no experience with?

Just a thought...some needs are more important than others...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no, i don't have any experience with dave. just talked to him a few times via e-mail. i have had experience with the company, that is what i am upset about. i even noticed that the last time my pistol came back the front sight was bent to the left a little. don't know what that is about, it was fine when it left my hands to be shipped.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts