1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want a series 70 Colt, there are enough out there at a fair price, & the collet, etc. is inferior to the improved Mark IV (ser 80) design. So who would buy a new series 70 repro, and what reasons would such people have for buying one?

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Keep in mind I can understand a military reissue (WWI) and seperate the two although some people may argue that they aren't seperable. One theory of mine is that the machining & labor needed to turnout the earlier WWII & current WWI gave a pretext to crank out all these series 70s, but what do I know?

·
Administrator
73,792 Posts
1911 purists have been griping and complaining about the "silly lawyer parts" in the Series 80 ever since they came out. Folks began squirreling away the older Series 70 guns almost from the moment the S80 models were announced. Now that Colt has decided to listen to the calls from purists to re-introduce the S70 models, now it seems those older original guns are coming out of the woodwork. Much of it might be due to the fact that their collector's value is dropping due to the release of the new guns. The asking prices of the originals was climbing fast up to and past $1000, up until the new guns came out. Now I see you can buy either an old or a new one for about 800 clams.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Plus the new Series 70's have the advantage of 20 years of increase in metallurgy and advanced manufacturing techniques (ie CNC, etc.). IMHO, the old Series 70's don't compare to what is coming out of Colt's factories today... I fully expect them to continue to drop in price as more modern Series 70 pistols hit the market.

Having owned 3 series 80's (including my Combat Commander that has been my carry piece for ~ 17 years) the Series 70 is preferable to the Series 80 to me. When you go to detail strip it, the Series 80 is a major PITA due to the tiny parts that you have to mess with.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Why does Ford still make a Mustang?

Because they sell. Plus the series 70 platform has morphed into:

Series 70 x2
The Colt Gunsite pistol x2
WWI
WWII
ETC.. I'm sure there are other models headed the way of states that will alow it. RB:cool:

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I just hate the 80s parts. I only have one 80s type ( my wife's Colt Combat Special ) and every time I clean it down to bare frame I have to get out the Wilson maint. manual to put it back together again correctly. It has the best trigger I've shot so I've already shot that point down of having a lousy trigger. I also own a Colt Gunsite Pistol, its trigger is great, but not as great as the Combat Spec. I don't care about whether it's a repro or not, I just want a 70s pistol! Tracy:cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
How is the quality of the rollmark on the new series 70's? Is it smooth or does it have rough edges?

I ask because I have one on order (blue) and I want to know what to expect. :D

-Dave

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Dave...On my new SS-70 the left rollmark is very tastefully done. The right "Colt Government Model" looks like it was done with a jack hammer.

·
Administrator
73,792 Posts
Rollmarks look perfect on my three. If my dealer ever manages to get in more blued ones I might make it four.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think the price has dropped considerably on the original Series 70. I picked up a Colt Series 70 (1st Ed.) last month for $400 in a pawn shop. It had some cosmetic problems (some minor rust pitting) but after refinishing and rebluing, and replacing some small parts + Kings sights, it is a very good carry piece/shooter for $450 or so total.

While you might pay a premium for a LNIB older Series 70, I don't think that a used gun should command a premium over the new issue. I would rather have the new issue, all things being equal.

The same thing happened to the Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 prices, when they reintroduced the "new" Pre-64 style rifle. Priced dropped.

I am impressed with Colt's effort to produce a top quality product. People will pay for it. I am looking forward to getting a Combat Commander/S70 if they come out again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts