1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering...:scratch: Has Colt ever made a Parked finish 1911, if so why not now?
I love the way blueing ages and don't mind the holster wear at all, especially if I plan on keeping it for the long haul. But to me a nice parkerized 1911 really looks like it can deliver the Business:cool:

·
Registered
296 Posts
LZHome said:
Just wondering...:scratch: Has Colt ever made a Parked finish 1911, if so why not now?
I love the way blueing ages and don't mind the holster wear at all, especially if I plan on keeping it for the long haul. But to me a nice parkerized 1911 really looks like it can deliver the Business:cool:

Good question.

I like a parkerized gun.

Friggen Colt, dog gone it. I wish they would pull their heads out of the sand and make a 1911 consistantly and in some different variations.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Bullitt5172 said:
The older "old roll mark" 1991's were parkerized.

Holy crap, you're right.

LOL, I have 2 in my safe.

I'm suffering from post holiday brain slag. :dope:

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Ah, but the ORM doesn't have the pony. What Colt should do is offer the NRM in a nice black manganese park. Now that would be sexy. I might even overlook the S-80 firing pin block for some of that action.

·
Administrator
79,278 Posts
Colt likely figures if you want parkerizing that bad, most gunsmiths can do it for you for less than $100. It's one thing for you guys to say "yeah I want it!", but when it's actually available not that many folks actually flip open their wallets.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I was thinking someone would say that Blueing is a Colt trademark or tradition and that Stainless and Alloy was just out there to catch more of the market and there arn't many asking for Parkerized options. Stainless Steel is a great low-maintenance solution but I'm not fond of flashy firearms especially if I'm trying to hide it under a shirt or jacket.:)

DSK probably nailed it in that that Colt just sez "who cares?", if you want it go get it.

·
Administrator
79,278 Posts
Personally, given the current state of the economy I think Colt should consider putting an "economy" 1911 back in their lineup. Black parkerized finish, carbon steel barrel, plastic trigger and mainspring housing, rubber grips, plain markings. Basically the same gun as the old M1991A1, which was a really good idea when it first came out. Unfortunately Colt kept raising the price on it until it was no longer an "economy" 1911.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bullitt5172 said:
I have one of the 1991 A1 's (orm) that is Parkerized. I like it very much inspite of the composite(nylon ?) trigger and mainspring housing. It shoots great, better than I do. Would you take a guess at the year of manufacture ? The serial number is 2714***. I am not going to pay Colt $100. for that information. I would rather replace the trigger, msh and install an ambi safety. I do not see many of these items available in matte black or parkerized finish. I do not think blued or stainless would look good.
Thank you,
Casca

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bullitt5172 said:
The ORM guns were bead blasted and blued. I own two of them. Parkerizing is not the black. I do a lot of parkerizing (manganese phosphate) at my shop. I don't get why people think Parkerizing should be an up-charge from blueing. You just blast the part and dunk it. It actually hides a lot of imperfections, so it should be cheaper.

·
Administrator
79,278 Posts
The first M1991A1's were indeed parkerized. Colt changed to a matte blue a couple of years later.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree the first 1991A1's were parkerized. They really start to look crappy when they get some hard use on them. No matter what Colt puts on them someone will want something else. Krylon makes some neat camo spray paint for duck blinds and Jeeps, I might do a 1911 in it.

·
Banned
110 Posts
ChrisGene said:
The ORM guns were bead blasted and blued. I own two of them. Parkerizing is not the black. I do a lot of parkerizing (manganese phosphate) at my shop. I don't get why people think Parkerizing should be an up-charge from blueing. You just blast the part and dunk it. It actually hides a lot of imperfections, so it should be cheaper.

The first 1991A1s were parked.

·
Registered
369 Posts
dsk said:
Personally, given the current state of the economy I think Colt should consider putting an "economy" 1911 back in their lineup. Black parkerized finish, carbon steel barrel, plastic trigger and mainspring housing, rubber grips, plain markings. Basically the same gun as the old M1991A1, which was a really good idea when it first came out. Unfortunately Colt kept raising the price on it until it was no longer an "economy" 1911.

Today you can get a polished & matte blued gun with steel barrel, aluminum trigger, nylon MSH, wood grips, and nifty rollmark for $636. I think that's pretty darned cheap already.

How low should they price the "economy" 1911 you described? I mean, if they go sub-$500, do they damage the Colt name's percieved value? Do they start to harm brand identity?

Seeing a NIB Colt for < $500 seems ... I don't know. Un-Coltish?

Just thinking out loud, mind you, not criticizing ideas.

S

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The idea that a base model gun would somehow cheapen Colt's image is overblown. Quality issues will damage an image more than a less expensive model that works.

In 2002 when I bought my SA Milspec (which is extremely accurate now that I replaced the factory SA barrel with a factory Colt barrel), I chose it over the Colt because A) I'd heard too many horror stories about poor Colt quality, B) the Colt I was comparing with didn't seem any better built than the SA, and C) the SA cost $150 less.

I love my Milspec; it works great. However, since the time I bought it, Colt's quality has significantly improved (though it still has a ways to go) such that I recently bought a Colt Commander. Nice gun that even "feels" better made than the Springer.

Colt may currently sell every gun they make, which would suggest they have no reason to change. If that's the case, they are short-sighted. Times change. They should be thinking longer term.

I'd like to see Colt steal a trick from GM: Have an entry-level model that encourages you to move up to the next level. Buyers will tend to stick with the brand they know if it's good quality. (Conversely, they'll leave the brand they know if they've been burned by quality issues, and very often never return.)

That's basically what SA has done with their Milspec and Loaded lines.

A quality entry-level Colt without the bells and whistles and priced $50 - $75 higher than the Milspec would fly off the shelves. Most Milspec buyers I've met would rather have a Colt, but they get the Milspec for #1 the price and #2 the perception (true or not) that the Milspec is about the same quality as Colt's lower-level but more expensive models.

As has been said numerous times on this forum and others, 1911s can become an addiction. If someone with an entry-level Colt wants another 1911 with more bells and whistles, they'll go Colt if they liked what they had.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.