1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a thread on Coltforum.com, this one, and a poster brought up an interesting question: why are there no polymer 1911's, or at least none that I've ever heard of?

I have a Springfield XD 45 Compact. It has a grip safety and they are about to release a new version with a manual thumb safety, as well, mainly to satisfy police and military requirements.

So....it occurs to me that if you took the XD and:

1. Made it a single-stack mag.

2. Added a thumb safety (already in the works).

3. Replaced the striker with a hammer and firing pin.

4. Keep the ammo loading path of the XD.

...you would have one heck of a nice 1911.

Between the lighter weight and the more reliable feeding (not trying to start a war about this part :rolleyes: ), I bet this would make a nice carry piece.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've wondered this too. Kahr arms makes very thin polymer framed guns and they seem quite able to handle hot loads. Why not incorporate that into a full sized 1911 frame with a single action trigger? That would sell like hot cakes, IMO.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've wondered this too. Kahr arms makes very thin polymer framed guns and they seem quite able to handle hot loads. Why not incorporate that into a full sized 1911 frame with a single action trigger? That would sell like hot cakes, IMO.
They do, its a TP45
http://www.kahr.com/PA-1B/review_gwle0707.html

I don't believe a polymer 1911 can be made though, correct me if I am wrong but the dust cover could be polymer and you would eliminate the grips and replace them with polymer. Also a polymer frame will go with a double stack when one of the big attractions to the 191 is a thin frame and it should use standard 1911 magazines. The wilson KZ had a aluminum mag area surrounding it if I remember correctly.

What part of the frame other then the dust cover could me polymer? Isn't the area surrounding a magazine in the glock metal?

Best we can do is a aluminum frame.

edit-According to CCF there is a 3 ounce difference between the Al and Polymer glocks
http://www.ccfraceframes.com/advantage.php

·
Registered
99 Posts
Because they wouldn't be a true 1911 just a plastic:barf: look a like.
lollerz
Whats a true 1911 look like then?
1911a1
1911a2(the loaded with rail setup that the marines were talking about a couple of years ago)

If something improves the much vaunted 1911 why is that looked at as a bad thing?

·
Registered
413 Posts
What part of the frame other then the dust cover could me polymer? Isn't the area surrounding a magazine in the glock metal?
A Glock frame is all polymer except for metal rail and locking block inserts. The grip frame/magazine well is all plastic. Glock mags do have a thin metal lining inside the plastic mag body.

I would guess an all-polymer 1911 could be made but there would have be some external dimensional differences, especially around the slide release pin hole area.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Because guys like me wouldn't buy it. If you want a polymer frame pistol, there are plenty out there. Part of owning and holding a 1911 is the feel of steel. That distinct heft that only forged steel can bring to the table. That metallic sound when you "slingshot" or "saddle" a round in the chamber. After shooting polymer framed pistols for many years and finally coming back to a 1911, it's like coming home. Just like owning a H-D and real Jeeps, if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hitman is correct. There is an undeniable feel to an all steel pistol unrivaled by the new fangled lightweight autos. My tokarev may not be as "efficient" as a glock, XD, M&P, etc, but it's steel and has history. I'll take it any day over a newer gun (but I hate this blasted import safety on it).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just like owning a H-D and real Jeeps, if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.
Or that could be changed to "You don't understand" And Hitman where is the cutoff point for you on Jeeps - IE. going from real to fake?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't know that theres really much need for one with all the lighweight aluminum framed offerings out there. My lightweight champion operator weighs less fully loaded than my px4 I had and frankly feels better

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The answer is fairly simple. They don't sell. Kimber has one and it is one of the worst selling items in their product line. I'd be willing to bet that the same is true of the Wilson KZ line of guns. The STI/SVI line of guns sell a well but a majority of that business is for game guns.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Kimber/Bul used to make great polymer 45s

I have a couple of full size and one commander size polymer frames that were made by BUL and sold by Kimber. These are the older versions from the mid to late 90's, not the newer ones that Kimber or Charles Daly sells. If you can find one of the older models, then I recommend buying it. I have easily 10-12K rounds through the first one I bought and have never had anything go wrong with any of them--even the MIM parts have held up great. I haven't even had to tune the extractors. Just load, shoot, and change the recoil springs ever so often. I bet that even John Browning would like these guns--he just didn't have any of today's polymers to work with.

I don't recommend the recent polymer guns by BUL and Kimber--just my personal preference. Their grip and ergonomics have changed a bit from the original iteration.

Rob S

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I have one of the older polymer frame Kimber's that I bought back around '96-'97. It did have a break in period, but once I put a few hundred rounds through it...it has been functioning without flaw.

It shoots very well, and it's the reason I bought my Eclipse.
My series I polymer frame 1911...

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
IMO, it wouldn't be a 1911 then. I personally think JMB found near perfection the first time around.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
I'm waiting for pressed paper mache' framed handguns. Anyone ever wonder why there are no plastic framed revolvers? Doesn't take too much thought. Aluminum and plastic are just not as strong as steel. duh.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts