1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking a Millenium Protector over at a local gunshop, and I think I'm falling in lust. After searching these threads, I have'nt seen a lot posted about this pistol. Is there something I should know? Thanks for any input!

lesthemess

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I think that the MP is a relatively new release from Wilson, and as of this time there is not a lot of feedback on them.

I do know that Wilson makes superior products and has the best customer service reputation in the industry. I don't think that you can go wrong with any Wilson product.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
lesthemess: I purchased one a while back for a little over 1k at my local gunshop. It works as any Wilson pistol is expected. GREAT. If I'm not mistaken, the MP is Wilson's "economy" gun, if one can say "economy" at $1000 a piece.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sousana,

Wow, thats a good deal you got there. The one I'm looking at is just under 1200.00.(about 600 bucks less than the CQB)

The only differences between the M-P and the CQB I can see are the sights, grips, and the front strap. All other specs match up equally, unless I'm overlooking something.

Thanks for your feedback!

lesthemess

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
lesthemess

I retail the Wilson line as well as other custom and semi-custom 1911.

Primary Differences between the Millenium and the other models are the front strap and main spring housing treatments.

Serrations vs. 30 LPI checkering

Sights.

367 model none night sights, vs. the 463 Night sights

Grips.

Rubber vs. Wood

Coating or Finish

Used to be parkerized only but I believe the 2001 catalog lists with armortuff.

I order the Milleniums I stock for resale with the new 463 night sights, wood grips, and a black/black or black/grey armortuff finish. I have had better than expected customer comments and try to keep one in the pipeline.

What in "essence" one now has is a Black or Black/Grey CQB with serrations in lieu of checkering and the gun is $200 less in cost.

I hope this helps you.

------------------
Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Terry,

That is exactly the information I was after!
Thanks again to you and the other forum members for your help. I really appreciate it.

lesthemess

·
Registered
144 Posts
Had my M-P for 7 months now - had a 8 month wait till I got it, but, it was worth every day and dollar to me. I've got about 2000 rounds of various reloads thru it without so much as a burp. First thing I did, though, was chuck the black rubber grips for a set of Wilson woods. Made a big visual difference. I LOVE mine!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought my MP from Terry at PT Partners back in April. Without checking my log, I've shot between 2000-2500 rounds thru it with NO malfunctions! The gun will shoot all types of ammo equally well.
I wanted an all black gun, and the new night sights are a plus. I don't see how you can go wrong with a MP.

------------------

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
DITTO! My experience with the MP has been truly outstanding. Terry Peters is an honorable dealer as well.
J Scott

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Guy's,

Thanks to your feedback, my checking account is now empty, but my gun locker has a new occupant! I went and purchased that Millenium Protector I was lusting after today. Well, not exactly the same one, this one had night sights where the first one did not.

I'm gonna go clean and lube it, then head to the range. I'll post a report later.

Thanks again for the help! Thats one of the things that make this forum great.

lesthemess

·
Registered
144 Posts
Originally posted by lesthemess:

Well Guy's,
Thanks to your feedback, my checking account is now empty, but my gun locker has a new occupant! I went and purchased that Millenium Protector

lesthemess
Congratulations! Like I said before, I couldn't be happier with mine. BTW, this is the only pistol I have with night sites and I was impressed with how well they show up in the dark.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If anyone is interested, I have posted a range report in the RR forum.

Also, I forgot to mention that the first thing to go was the factory rubber grips! I had been saving a nice set of rosewoods and they look great on my M-P!

(if any one would like the rubber panels, they can have them!)

lesthemess

[This message has been edited by lesthemess (edited 10-21-2001).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
lesthemess,

Congrats on your MP, I know you will be very pleased with it. I got mine back in Aug. and it has been a solid performer since. I've got about 2300 rounds through it, consisting of range work, and a couple of defensive handgun courses. It has not malfunctioned yet. I've mainly shot S&B and Golden Sabers through mine. I will be using it for some advanced tactical handgun courses early next year. Great gun!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
lesthemess

I think that you made an excellent decision! I've had my M-P for about 8 months and it has been fantastic. I shoot mostly reloads through mine and it has worked flawlessly. Just like you, my rubber grips were replaced with wood ones almost immediately. Have fun with your new purchase.
BTW - You mentioned that you were going to clean the gun before you shoot it. Wilson recommends not cleaning the gun until you have put about 500 rounds through it. What have all of you other Wilson owners done in this situation?

·
Registered
558 Posts
My protecter is one week old and 500 rounds through it, so now I get to see what the inside looks like.

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is probably why it's a good reason to read the manual before you shoot or clean the gun!

I'll have to try that next time...

Time constraints have kept me from the range, but I did get out to run another 100 rounds of my reloads through the M-P yesterday. No problems and accurate too! I like this gun more every time I shoot it. My Kimbers are getting to feel very lonely and unappreciated lately.

lesthemess

[This message has been edited by lesthemess (edited 11-14-2001).]

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Just send those Kimbers to Dane for make-overs and they'll start getting out more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts