1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have considered a full size Vigil but almost every one I see on Gunbroker has the threaded barrel. Are there that many people interested in going through the rigamarole involved with putting a suppressor on a .45 ? Either there are a preponderance of the threaded barrel version on there because no one is buying them or DW has overestimated the demand in their production. I've been around someone shooting a suppressed .45 and they are not very quiet, certainly not quiet enough in my mind to justify the extra money, paperwork and time involved in obtaining one.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
.45 is not the best choice for a can. Subsonic 147gr 9mm is a whisper. I have no idea why so many stock guns were sold with threaded barrels. I do have a 9mm DW Valor with a threaded barrel that fits the same supressor as my Glock 19. They were tons of fun before the ammo shortage. Used to be a lot of fun on the outdoor range, I'd let anyone try them. Now that 147gr is impossible to find the suppressor stays on my Glock at the head of my bed. What a difference that makes on an indoor shooting.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know about that statement, my can muffles my .45 pretty well, 9mm sub sounds like the silencers in the movies. Not all cans are the same.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was of the belief that .45 was a good round for suppression? My understanding is that it is typically a heavy slow (sub Sonic) cartridge that performed well with suppressors. On the other hand, 9mm (outside of these 147 grain Hush rounds) was supposed to be snappier and have more of a crack due to its velocity. I'm sure the type of can/design would play a big role as well. I don't have a can but would like to get into this in the near future!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I want a .45 suppressed. The reasons guys love .45 suppressed is that the bullet makes a louder impact then 9mm, even if muzzle noise is a little louder. The steel rings louder and you can hear more thumps from the bullet hitting things. That is why some folks prefer .45 suppressed. I do not have one, but I do want one.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I have a Springfield Silent Operator and bought a suppressor specifically for it. I also reload. I can make it shoot as quiet as in the movies. I haven’t got my 9mm’s to work as well suppressed. The 45 slug hits and is louder than the sound of it firing. Its actually about the only way I shoot my 1911’s anymore. I wish I’d have picked up a threaded bbl Dan Wesson but for now it will just be the Springfield.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts