·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They just don't 'feel right'....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Nothing a grinder wont fix. I just did mine last weekend. Took it out tuesday and won a match.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Shooter

The reason Spring field front straps are so thick is they really are not so thick. But the front stap does have a different countour, as you have noticed. The front strap is cut more square rather than oval. The reason for this is the number of competitive shooters that use Springfield frames and the custom features they have wanted on their guns.

The main reason for the different front strap profile is to provide more steel in the front strap for checkering and contouring to fit the shooters hand. This front strap profile allows for more variation in checkering than the current standard from the other 1911 makers.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Makes sense. I had a Springfield 'Defender' carry comp a few years ago and took my belt sander to the front strap, myself....just to get the 'feel' I wanted. Being built on a stainless frame, THAT was a fairly easy mod to do.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Can any of you recommend an out fit to modify the frontstrap on my SA to be that more of a Colt-style front strap? Could the re-finishing be done well and match the slide? I have a mil-spec.
Thanks-

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Originally posted by Str8_Shot:
Shooter

The reason Spring field front straps are so thick is they really are not so thick. But the front stap does have a different countour, as you have noticed.
Um
I would have agreed with you until yesterday. average springfields measure around .085 thick ( a colt often is .070) in the center. yesterday we were running a batch of machine checkering and a frame, the thickest frame I have ever seen was .125 thick in the center of the front. If shooter 1201 has one of these it is thick and square both.

as part of truing up the front strap we convert a Springfield to a more conventional radius. I am sure many of the gunsmith's here offer this service.

geo ><>

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Originally posted by t.heck:
Can any of you recommend an out fit to modify the frontstrap on my SA to be that more of a Colt-style front strap? Could the re-finishing be done well and match the slide? I have a mil-spec.
Thanks-
You'd have to refinish your gun when you get done but parkerizing is supposedly pretty straightforward and can be done in a crock pot, or so I'm told. Anyway, Brownells sells a jig and file set so you can re-contour your frontstrap and checker it. Get the parkerizing chemicals on the same order to save shipping.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
What's the part # or page # for that jig...I've never seen one.

TIA

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
My Champion is right at .100...It's thick and a lil' blocky.To tell you the truth, after changing the stocks a few times I found a set that made it feel so much better that I'd swear it's been molded to fit. Cheap ones too...I ordered them from CDNN a few months ago at 7. a set...Go figure...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
t.heck

Before you fo to a smith and have the front strap machined, I suggest that you follow gyp-c's lead and try different grips, and possibly a flat mainspring housing in your Mil-Spec (it has the arched mainspring housing right). This may be all the alteration you need.

George

This is new to me. Though I certainly believe you. My observations have been mostly by eye and feel. Certainly nothing precise, since I am a user. Thanks for the information.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Of courese one problem in trying different grips is that two or three pairs of good or very nice looking grips like many of us want are about the same price of having the front strap checkered. I have not seen too many shores where they will let you try out parts on your gun before you buy. That being said, some mail order dealers don't have a problem with that, like CMC, and you can send the grips back if you are not satisfied. If that is the case, then you may just have to endure the hassle.

Do consider yourself lucky that you have plenty of front strap thickness to modify if you want. Some guns are not that this or do not have a consistent thickness and checkering the front strap by someone who doesn't check the thickness first can end up with one or more holes in the front strap from the checkering. When that happens, either the smith wiil replace the frame or will try patching via adding metal by welding. In talking with a smith I know, guns like the Browning High Power often have a front strap that is way too thin and as opposed to risking the job, the refuse to add front checkering.

·
Administrator
74,343 Posts
There's another reason why Springfield frames have such a blocky radius- it's cheaper. The bare forgings for Colt and Springfield look about the same, however Colt mills away more steel to provide those nice rounded curves. Springfield doesn't mill theirs as far, which over time increases production and reduces the wear on their tooling.

Leaving more metal to checker was just an afterthought, IMHO. I don't know many people who bother with 20lpi checkering on the frontstrap anymore.

Then again, some folks might want to use their guns as an emergency wood rasp.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
That may well be...Just an observation from todays trip to the local shootin' spot...There were far more SAs in the cases with front straps that had been checkered than there were plain...Now that some more of the "loaded" series come this way, they sure seem to sell a lot of 'em...Of the 12 I saw in the case, only 4 were plain...The rest were very nicely treated. The checkering didn't seem any more noticeable than the 30 on the LBaers right next to them...But, then the 6 colts were all plain...Nice and rounded though

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Originally posted by Str8_Shot:
Shooter

The reason Spring field front straps are so thick is they really are not so thick. But the front stap does have a different countour, as you have noticed...

I had noticed that my Champion felt different than other makes of 1911's, so I started measuring thickness of front strap at the last gun show.

Factory Colts with no checking measure close to .070" in the center.

Wilson Customs with checkering measure .065".

Kimbers are close to Colts.

My Champion measures .100".

The uncheckered SA 1911's at the show varied between .085" and .095". Checkered SA measured around .080".

SA's are definitely thicker in the front strap.

------------------
Any day above ground is a good day!!!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm in the market for my first 1911 and was leaning towards a Springfield (2nd place being a Kimber)...my only reservation is the blocky frontstrap. Can someone who has a Springfield and a Colt/Kimber post some comparison pics? Eventually I'll fondle both typs at the next gunshow, but I'd like to see some pix. Thanks

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
<<<sorry everyone>>>

I prefer my Kimber Super Match over any SA. The 30LPI front strap checkering is perfect...
Here are some pics:

Kimber Super Match II

One of my targets, shot offhand at 25yrds with the Kimber

[This message has been edited by Sniper (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,343 Posts
You're supposed to have the target 25 yards away from you, NOT simply be standing next to it 25 yards downrange!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

1 - 20 of 22 Posts