1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,
I guess it has to do with leading, but why are powder charges (using the same type powder) always less when using Lead bullets?

I assume it's because you can't push the bullet too hard or leading will result.

But when I though about it, I wondered if it had anything to do with pressure? The lead bullets are usually .452 while the FMJ bullets are .451. From that I concluded that the lead pulluts created more pressure while in the barrel.

Or is a combo of both?\

bored in Slidell,

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
NOT NEVER "ALWAYS"

Please don't take this wrong, but load data manuals are guides, not gospel.

The 'normal' differences occur due to frictional differences in bullet bearing-surface material.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My take on it and my personal experience is that CAST or SWAGED lead bullets are softer than a full metal jacket bullet. You are correct about the leading in the barrel by pushing a lead bullet to fast. Same goes for copper or brass FMJ bullets, you can foul barrels with them as well----but then bring in the coated bullets and then open another can of worms... Stick with the manuels and bullet company suggestions and then experiment-----that is part of the fun of reloading!! Just be careful and start low and work up...You are correct in that different metals (bullets) do differnt things while going 700fps+ out of a 1911 barrel.... Just my experience is all......You should have some fun while learning all the variables of loading for your basic 45acp--KEEP GOOD NOTES ON ALL YOUR RELOADS!!! :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The thing one must take heed of when it comes to reloading, each manufacture of bullets, powder, etc., are testing in their envirionments with their selection of bullets , powder, firearm, testing area, etc. As mentioned it is only a recommendation to stay within the perameters of their mathmatical findings.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips. I hope you guys don't think I'm trying to push the limits by asking this. I'm just a bit of a newbie to reloading. I went into this after deciding that using my neighbors Dillon was getting old and prefered to reload whenever I wanted to.

I wanted to keep things simple. I'm not a "wildcatter", but As I read about all the different bullets/powder combos, I can see how this hobby can grow wild :)

For sure, to start I'll be sticking to the ole standard- 230 gr FMJ type stuff and 700-750 fps velocities. Once I have my 550 down pat, I may try different things. But slowly!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Condo45 said:
My take on it and my personal experience is that CAST or SWAGED lead bullets are softer than a full metal jacket bullet.
I agree, but I'd clarify that cast and swaged are not interchangeable when discussing bullet hardness.

For hunting bullets, I think of the likelihood of jacket separation. I guess you could apply the same sort of logic to barrel leading. So, I'd rank them like this, as far as "hardness:"

* Solid alloy (e.g., copper) like a Barnes bullet
* CMJ (complete metal jacket)
* FMJ (full metal jacket....lead is exposed at the bullet's base)
* Jacketed soft and hollow points
* Cast bullets (with a WIDE variety of hardnesses)
* Swaged bullets
* #2 pencil (y'know....for function testing your 1911)
;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts