1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread mentioned that CA approved CQB's came with titanium firing pins. Why is this? When the gun hits the floor dring the "drop test", what difference does it make if the pin is steel or titanium?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Titanium is lighter that carbon or stainless steel. Being lighter it won't gain momentum as easily. Wilson Combat pistols do not have firing pin safeties so the potential to discharge if dropped is still present. Fitting them with titanium firing pins and increased weight firing pin springs helps reduce this possibility.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Just learned that the law of physics apply again. As a curiosity, what will happen if the persons who buy the guns later change it to something else and got a AD by dropping them? Is the current (new) PRK law on consumer side or the manufacturer side?

[This message has been edited by Wit (edited 05-17-2001).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
when wilson's sent their pistols in to the fbi for testing the had the steel fp's in them the under went basically the same drop test without fail. It is my understanding after speaking with some of wilsons people that the guns would probably have passed the test anyway that the titanium pins were added insurance.

------------------
plinker

·
Super Moderator
1,875 Posts
As the above poster mentioned. Many things all of us in the shooting industry and shooters will see coming down the pipe will be to stave off the potential for civil liability.

We, meaning the pro-gun types, may win the lawsuits but are out of business due to the legal costs involved.

------------------
Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so less mass being accelerated equals less force. How much less does the titanium pin weigh? It doesn't seem like it woud be enough to matter, but like Sentinal 45 said, its just added insurance.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Originally posted by tetley:
Ok, so less mass being accelerated equals less force. How much less does the titanium pin weigh? It doesn't seem like it woud be enough to matter, but like Sentinal 45 said, its just added insurance.
Hey Tetley, ive read they are less than half the weight of the steel pins, and gives a 27% faster lock time, also the titanium pins retract sooner, preventing primer smear/drag.. They are suggested to be used with standard springs only, as a heavy firing pin spring may not allow for positve ignition.. I have one of wilsons titanium pins, cant say if i can tell a difference other than it feels like its a toy piece it being so light.. Of course im no expert either.. Wilson also recomends they be used for competition and not for a carry weapon.. From what i understand, the titaium is very hard and stiff, and will crack/break before it bends, and is likely less durable than steel.. I believe titanium is mixed with iron to make steel.. WOW sorry, i ended up making a speech here..
-Gilmore

------------------
ME,WE!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts