1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current American Rifleman (January 2014), starting on page 84 identifies Consumers as the culprit. It is not a conspiracy!

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Are you surprised? I never bought into that Homeland Security nonsense anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. But there did seem to be a "tad" of unease on the part of some of our brethren.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just grabbed my copy out of the mailbox earlier. I saw the title of that article on the cover and made a mental note to read it later when I was in the library, just had a bran muffin and a cup of coffee.... Should be anytime now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Did DHS buy ammo? More than likely yes considering what agencies fall under them (such as boarder patrol, which carry firearms). Just not "all the ammo" like was believed.

http://www.dhs.gov/dhs-component-websites

For those who may not know what agencies are part of DHS (I didn't know all of them).

Another related topic:
http://www.dhs.gov/publication/progress-report-president’s-executive-actions-reduce-gun-violence

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Just grabbed my copy out of the mailbox earlier. I saw the title of that article on the cover and made a mental note to read it later when I was in the library, just had a bran muffin and a cup of coffee.... Should be anytime now.
too much info! LOL!

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Did DHS buy ammo? More than likely yes considering what agencies fall under them (such as boarder patrol, which carry firearms). Just not "all the ammo" like was believed.
The conspiracy theorists were all telling us that DHS intentionally bought up the nation's ammo supply just to keep it away from us. But the real truth is a lot of very squirrelly gun owners camped out at Wal-Mart at 7am each Thursday and cleaned them out every week. The LGS told me they had one guy come in a couple weeks after Sandy Hook looking for 9mm ammo. When he was pointed towards the couple thousand rounds they had on the shelf he said he wanted to buy all of it. When further questioned by the salesman it turned out the guy just owned a Glock 17 he bought a few years ago and had only fired it once. Maybe the dude was an undercover DHS agent, or maybe he was just typical of the greedy panic buyers we all got to know and love over the past year.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't forget all the Women who have decided to be gun owners and participate in our activities. They account for a portion of the increase in ammo expenditure.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Never did understand why people were hoarding ammo. Nobody was out to get your ammo, just certain firearms.

No more ammo shortage in my part of the world, though.

Except for .22LR. I don't get it. Yes, people buy it as soon as it comes in, but there just isn't that much showing up in stores. The place I buy my ammo gets a few boxes of "expensive" (CCI Stingers, Mini Mags, etc.) .22 here and there. Of course it gets snatched up real quick. There's always a couple old timers that get really grumpy when they wait around for hours on ammo delivery day and no .22 shows up.

It seems that bulk .22 is non-existent anymore. I miss the days of grabbing 500-round packs of .22 for $15. Hard to believe that was just about a year ago.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Nope. But there did seem to be a "tad" of unease on the part of some of our brethren.
cause way too many of them are numbskulls that couldn't pour water out of a boot if the instructions were on the sole

.L.T.A.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
When the ammo shortage of 08' hit, we always had .22lr and .40S&W in stock at my store. This time around, I haven't seen .22 since Sandy Hook.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Why was their an ammo shortage ?

My guess is because over the last 5 years there has been more guns and ammo bought by civilians than any 5 year period in history, the large orders by the Govt may have been a contributing factor but how much ? who knows

I think the estimated number of gun owners in this country is a lot higher than what most think

There were times over the last few years while I was in Walmart I would look at the shelves just to see if there was any, 9 times out of 10 there was none, the only thing I would have bought if they had any would have been Speer GD`s, in which my local Wally does not carry, I was in there friday but did not look at ammo, Im not sure what the shelves look like now

I did not and never have did any panic buying because I have been reloading for over 25 years

However, I did buy x amount of .22 some time back

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
The prepetual lack of .22 ammo is what I still fail to understand. Yes it's a popular round, but sheesh it's not the survivalist's choice and companies churn out literally 10 billion rounds per year. People must still be hoarding it like mad.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Back in 1998 I considered buying a brick of 22 LR each week. I never acted on that plan but oh boy if I had......a quick calculation...400400 rounds. That's right, I would have socked up nearly half a million rounds!

I wish now that I had of done that.....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Up until the Sandy Hook incident, there were monthly records being set on the amount of NICS checks the FBI was doing.Between 2008 and last year , literally millions of gun owners unaware of the previous 2008 crunch got a crash course right after Newtown.

I know, because I was one of them.Ill never forget seeing entire shelves at my local big box FFL stripped bare .Then there was the time I went to my local small town dealer and found enough people in there that fire code had to have been violated.I used to take a full ammo shelf for granted.Not anymore.

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
Shortage, what shortage? Are you fellas hallucinating guberment conspiracies?

Obamacare will cure you of your delusional thinking. :p

·
Registered
726 Posts
The prepetual lack of .22 ammo is what I still fail to understand. Yes it's a popular round, but sheesh it's not the survivalist's choice and companies churn out literally 10 billion rounds per year. People must still be hoarding it like mad.
That's the thing.....I don't believe there is any .22 to hoard. My wife works retail and there just isn't any getting to the store. It's not like they're getting the same amount .22 they used to get and selling out within minutes.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts