1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the MSH off my Springfield for the first time and I took the sear spring out. I don't know exactly how the spring was positioned originally, but I put the spring back so that the middle spring is pushing on the trigger and the bottom part of the disconnecter. The problem is that the sear is not engaging the hammer anymore. Did I do something wrong? Did I miss a step?

·
Registered
364 Posts
The middle finger of the sear spring is supposed to be lying on the wedge of the disconnector, and not underneath the disconnector. It's not supposed to be actually touching on the trigger bow at all.

P

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by sean:
I took the MSH off my Springfield for the first time and I took the sear spring out. I don't know exactly how the spring was positioned originally, but I put the spring back so that the middle spring is pushing on the trigger and the bottom part of the disconnecter. The problem is that the sear is not engaging the hammer anymore. Did I do something wrong? Did I miss a step?
I don't know exactly how the spring was positioned originally,
The sear sping should have a tab which fits into a slot which correctly positions the sear spring.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
In addition to the above advice, make sure the left-hand leaf of the spring is ON TOP of the sear during re-assembly. This is what tensions the sear. It won't work if the leaf is underneath the sear. (Your hammer probably won't stay cocked).

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Here's a bit of information that will help you in putting your sear spring back in.

When you have the spring in place where you need it to be, put the mainspring housing partially back in place, to hold the sear spring where it belongs. Then put your hammer back in and then your grip safety, put the safety back in and then slide the mainspring housing up into place, making sure that the hammer strut goes into the mainspring housing and reinstall the pin holding the mainspring housing in place and you're done. This will save you a lot of fumbling around trying to get the sear spring in and keeping it in place, during final reassembly.

7th

1 - 5 of 5 Posts