1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I was in the market for a new LB. I contacted the LB shop and got Les himself (nice to see he still picks up the phone). He gave me a tip - regardless of the advertised condition of the gun - get the serial number and confirm with the LB shop that LB did in fact make the gun, where it was initially shipped, when the gun was made and what the configuration of the gun was when it left the shop. This will help avoid warranty related issues (non LB parts or LB parts not installed by LB shop) as well as help estabolish if it is in fact a new gun.

Subsequently, I made my purchase through a respectable retailer with a strong internet presence and a reputation for volume sales at discount prices. When setting up the transaction I called the retailer with an interest in 2 models. I got the serial numbers for all guns that were in stock for each model. I then called the LB shop.

What did I learn? I learned that the retailer (most likely through no fault of their own) had logged in several particularly high end models as being the standard accuracy version - completely unaware that they were in fact 1.5" models. Result, between the discount off of MSRP as well as the 1.5" snafu - I saved around $700.00.

This is yet another reason that you might consider checking the serial number before you purchase.

Good Luck.

·
Administrator
13,261 Posts
So the dealer made the mistake or LBC shipped 1.5" guns as 3" guns ?

·
Banned
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guy, I am not saying it was the retailer - truthfully I do not know where the mistake was made. However, with respect to your question - yes, the retailer was under the impression that it was a 3" gun; yet in speaking with the LB shop they confirmed that not only was that particular serial # a 1.5" gun; but so to were 3 of 5 others I gave them.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Well, what is it?

I think you originally were thinking about a Supertac, what did you end up with? Good advise on the serial number check.

M

·
0 Posts
IF I'm understanding you correctly...............................

Couldn't this be considered stealing?

You knew the gun was not what you were asking for or paying for, the dealer has obviously made a mistake, and you're just going to take advantage of that?

I wouldn't want you as a customer.

Forgive me and correct me if I misunderstood.

·
Administrator
13,261 Posts
'man
I will give taxi the benefit of the doubt , but i was wondering the same thing the way it was worded .

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I suppose you could look at it that way, OTOH it sounds like they had multiple ones of these listed the same way--so if its a mistake they made its a mistake they made multiple times. Not the most impressive business practices on their part if they're that incompetent.

So I am to understand that an expensive semi custom gun maker is selling 1911's guaranteed to shoot 3"? I'm assuming this is at 25' or so, and that this is what is meant by "1.5" or "3" inch guns? If you ask me, THATS stealing. If you're making expensive custom guns they better damn well shoot at least 3" groups, considering that MOST off the shelf handguns I have owned have shot at about that level or better, and my Springfield Loaded shoots at about the 1.5" level. I wouldn't be too impressed if I spent $1200 or $1500 or whatever they cost and got a 3" gun myself.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Ah, well now, THAT would be a different story! Its hard to believe that anyone could shoot a 1.5" group at 50 yds. Of course that must be from a ransom rest or something. I've never actually even fired mine from a rest period I must admit. I should some day to see how accurate it really is.

My apologies then for asuming a shorter distance. A gun capable of that accuracy WOULD be worth a premium I guess. Not that I could probably shoot it to its potential...

·
Administrator
13,261 Posts
It is my understanding that Les fires these guns himself . Not from a ransom either ! I asked him about this years ago and can't recall exactly . I think it's handheld off a rest ?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
There is a post a while back about Les firing each gun. Jim said something to the effect that yes he fires every gun and sometimes they fire the same gun more then once till he is happy with it. I vaguely remember that they are all done "in the white" (unfinished) and that the staff loads the mags for Les. Jim made some comment that Les hangs his one targets though (although I may have that backwards).

Anyway, he fires each gun and does the accuracy shooting himself. Final comment is if you look at the proof targets, both of mine have writing on them and it is obvious that the same person did the writing even though they are 8 years apart. Probably it was Les himself but who knows.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts