1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday going through my gun stuff I found a big mag found some 223 rounds and loaded them in there wondering what it was for. Took it to the gun store and it popped right into the Mini 14! so it looks like this mag holds about 30 to 40 rounds I was leaning towards the M-30 but with this mag I could
use it for the 14 since hi caps aren't going to be bought in CA.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Again, I would say go with the Mini-14. Especially with the hi-cap you had in your collection. Finding .223 ammo will always be easier versus the 7.62x39mm ammo. Nothing against the Mini-30, I am a firm believer in 5.56mm Nato.

I have to ask one question though, how did you not know you had a hi-cap Mini-14 mag in your collection?

good shootin', gunny

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has been there for a while and I thought it was for a M-16 because it fit .223 rounds so I brought it down to the gun store and popped it into a mini 14 and it worked.

What does the military use in there M-16's 223 is that the same as 5.56? Is this a good round for stopping people?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Originally posted by Greg1911:
It has been there for a while and I thought it was for a M-16 because it fit .223 rounds so I brought it down to the gun store and popped it into a mini 14 and it worked.

What does the military use in there M-16's 223 is that the same as 5.56? Is this a good round for stopping people?
Dear Greg,

I'm surprised that the clerk at the gun store didn't tell you this when you came in with what you thought was an M16/AR15 magazine. Yes the .223 Remington is the same cartridge as the 5.56 mm. one used in the M16. The government use of metric designations is due, I believe, to our participation in NATO. Thus the .308 Winchester is known as 7.62mm. This may be the reason also that our military switched to the 9mm. as our standard cartridge for sidearms...we'd never stand for the .45 being metricized.

I'd also like to answer a question you made on another post about the Mini-30. While they are not designated as "Ranch Rifles" they all apparently have the same features as that model of the Mini-14. Stay safe, Gary

(PS. If you don't mind my asking what rifle was the .223 ammo you already had for?)

------------------
"I knew a man that I did not care for. And then one day this man payed me a call. We sat and talked about things on our mind. Now this man he is a friend of mine" Friend and Lover "Reach Out in the Darkness"

[This message has been edited by Gary W Trott (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
There's a projection on the mag that acts as a retainer when inserted in the gun. Is the projection a separate piece tacked on, or pressed/formed integral part of mag.?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are you talking about the notch at the top front of the magazine? by the way popeye I sent an email asking you specifically if you didn't get this post first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts