1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if Wild Bunch matches are on topic here. If not you have my apologies in advance. I just finished a Wild Bunch Action Shooting article for "Guns of the Old West" magazine on the Taylor's & Co. 1911, and I thought I'd share a couple of pictures.

Anyone who has seen the movie "The Wild Bunch" will get the steel washers in the first picture.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Where I ave seen this it has been a team sport with team members armed according to the characters in the movie, with a combination of 1911, Peacemakers, Winchester 92s, Win 1897 (IIRC) and a browning machine gun which was a short burst at the end.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Harper Creigh was instrumental in the Cowboy Action Shoots and a founder of SASS. He was also very big into the Wild Bunch recreations. Not sure his involvement now. I served with him in the USMC at El Toro CA in late 50's early 60's and was one of the participants in the first SASS shoot at Coto De Caza in CA circa 1980.
Semper fi Harper!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Most wild bunch matches are not team matches. Each shooter is scored individually. Occasionally, at the bigger matches, they will have a team event based on the different characters in the movie. Mark

·
Registered
266 Posts
So its just cowboy shooting 1911s? The rules I saw for one event required 1911s in stock condition. No rails, enhanced sights, magwell funnels. Pretty much original 1911 or 1911a1.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So its just cowboy shooting 1911s? The rules I saw for one event required 1911s in stock condition. No rails, enhanced sights, magwell funnels. Pretty much original 1911 or 1911a1.
Nope! Wild Bunch is NOT cowboy shooting with a 1911.
Wild Bunch has a minimum power factor of 150 - not like the mouse fart loads in cowboy.
Also shoot twice as many handgun rounds (or more) than cowboy.
Shoot at targets at greater distances than cowboy.
Shoot more reactive targets such as plate racks - dueling trees - Texas stars.
Traditional category is shot with a pretty much stock 1911, but modern category allows many pistol upgrades.
Many more differences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts