1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,347 Posts
Placing that FINE leather on a black nylon belt is just wrong on so many levels.
Offered for sale at Milt Sparks, The Wilderness Tactical belt

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
I guess I've been wrong for over 20 years. Oh well, no need to change now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I carry my Ronin Commander in a SS2 using a Vedder "cobra" belt. Similar to a Wilderness. I love how it carrys
but its a little hard to snap the straps from time to time ( but the holster is fairly new )

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Well, done @Krunningw

I use SS2 for almost every carry gun I own.

Sometimes its with a leather belt....often it's with a nylon belt, too. No worries over the nylon belt wearing out the holster loops.....Milt Sparks sells replacement loops on their website.

Great holsters. They work extremely well for me.
Don't get me wrong, I really like my VM2's, Criterions, 55BN and #60TK.....but the versatility in placement about my body of the SS2 is fantastic.

I had some spine surgery a few years back that patched me up and kept me in the daily grind......but the stenosis and other flareups can cause issues with carry comfort.....being able to easily move the SS2 from behind the hip, to in front of the hip can alleviate the pains....and allow me to keep after it...whatever the grind of the day entails.

The SS2 is so dang comfortable that I"m gonna try one in straight drop, zero cant for AIWB.

The guys at Milt Sparks are making stellar products.

Enjoy your new gear.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Well, done @Krunningw

I use SS2 for almost every carry gun I own.

Sometimes its with a leather belt....often it's with a nylon belt, too. No worries over the nylon belt wearing out the holster loops.....Milt Sparks sells replacement loops on their website.

Great holsters. They work extremely well for me.
Don't get me wrong, I really like my VM2's, Criterions, 55BN and #60TK.....but the versatility in placement about my body of the SS2 is fantastic.

I had some spine surgery a few years back that patched me up and kept me in the daily grind......but the stenosis and other flareups can cause issues with carry comfort.....being able to easily move the SS2 from behind the hip, to in front of the hip can alleviate the pains....and allow me to keep after it...whatever the grind of the day entails.

The SS2 is so dang comfortable that I"m gonna try one in straight drop, zero cant for AIWB.

The guys at Milt Sparks are making stellar products.

Enjoy your new gear.
I have both the SS2 and multiple VM2s. I prefer the VM2s. Either way you have a fantastic holster.

Belt? I have some nylon belts that I use when not carrying but for the most part I still prefer a stout leather belt for carrying.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good combo-------but when "push comes to shove"----what is most important is a top-notch belt. (And the Wilderness Instructor belt is superb.)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Belt went floppy in a few months. I tried many different ones and finally ended up with Kore Essentials. The belt is now about a year old and still holding the gun properly.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Here's why I'm not a fan of the Wilderness belt...

Here's a picture of an almost new Milt Sparks leather belt. Great leather belt btw...

And here's a picture of an Ares Gear Agis Enhanced belt with about three years of daily wear on it at the time the picture was taken. Note that the stainless buckle is almost as heavy as the buckle on the Wilderness belt...

And here's Wilderness belt...the one with the insert...with about a years worth of daily wear. Note that the belt is still rigid enough that the webbing won't fold over in half on itself. But the torsional rigidity through the length of the belt is pretty bad. Now this might not be a big deal if you're carrying something small like a Shield or something. But I will typically carry a M&P Core with a Trijicon red dot or a 1911...and a spare mag. And I greatly prefer a more rigid belt. That Ares belt is about six years old at this point and is still going strong. It will easily go another 4-5 years...maybe longer.

Note too that there is such a thing as too rigid of a belt. The Ares belt is RIGID. Maybe too much so for some people. YMMV.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I followed L84CABO's advice years ago and purchased a Ares Gear Aegis Belt (regular, not the enhanced model) and have never looked back. It has carried a light weight Commander or lightweight ECO in Sparks SS2s every day since and is shows no signs of wear. It would have no problem carrying a 5" steel 1911 in a good holster. The buckle is amazing and offers infinite adjustment. The buckle on mine is stainless but Ares Gear now offers a buckle in high impact plastic glass filled nylon.

Brownell's had them in stock at the time and they run true to size.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Right now I am carrying an EDC X9. However, once my FX-2 in 45 ACP has the trigger smoothed out that one might be my carry gun. The good thing about the EDC X9 is the double stack mags (15 & 18). Also, it really fits well in my hand and I am able to hit stuff best with this gun right now. The FX-2 has a red dot integrated into the slide and co-witnessed with the iron sights.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The belt is just like my SCUBA harness from years ago. Good heavy duty webbing gear. The difference being all my buckles were metal SS back then. I know there are high strength plastics but when it came to my dive gear and holding it together I never used plastics.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Right now I am carrying an EDC X9. However, once my FX-2 in 45 ACP has the trigger smoothed out that one might be my carry gun. The good thing about the EDC X9 is the double stack mags (15 & 18). Also, it really fits well in my hand and I am able to hit stuff best with this gun right now. The FX-2 has a red dot integrated into the slide and co-witnessed with the iron sights.

Excellent gun, the EDC X9.

They handle extremely well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts