1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my next Colt is going to be one of those two guns.Which would you buy between those two?

They both have what I'm looking for- a classic looking Colt with modern amenities, sites, and match grade barrels, no FCS. They are fairly similar in specs. I think I would like the sites better on the Talo version, but again I've never seen either of these in person.

What would you go with? The Clapp version is probably going to cost $500 more, but it is a series 70. I've not shot one so is it really worth the extra coin? ( I know, the endless debate again)

Also what would you expect me to pay at the most these days? Seems like most of the 1991 ccg's go for around 1000 and the Clapps 1500, is that accurate?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The Wiley Clapp model has a GI, non-extended thumb safety and a brass bead type front sight. The Talo CCG has a fiber optic front sight, and wide notch rear sight like the Clapp model. As you stated, the Clapp is a model 70, and the CCG is an 80. Other than the different grip panels, I believe those are the significant differences.

It comes down to preference and the dollar. I opted for the Clapp, and I'm very happy with it. If the CCG was a series 70, it would be a tougher decision for me. I like the 70, but realize it's not a priority for everyone.

I paid $1564 for my Clapp, and had the opportunity to buy it from a dealer that had 10 in stock (although I never looked at a second one after picking up the one on display.)

You can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
With some shopping around the WC can be found for less than $1300.00, I paid less than that for both WC Commanders and the full-size WC I own. Basically the difference is the checkering and round butt treatment. In my opinion that plus the WC being a series 70 makes it a no brainer at $1300.00 or so. With that being said the CCG was my sons first Colt and he loves it. It shoot well and is a great bargain in my opinion. You could always do the fiscally responsible thing and buy both....

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I choose the Wiley Clapp Government over other Colt models because of the front strap checkering and being Series 70 and the rowel hammer and the thumb safety and the brass bead front sight.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
I think the question's answer is simple really. I like simple. The checkering cost is the key. I can not detect the series 80 parts in my CCG. Feels the same as my Gunsite. Front sights and thumb safeties can be changed and the take offs stored. I like checkering but can get by without it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I looked at both. For me it was the CCG.

Front strap checkering is not a big deal to me, and I preferred the CCG thumb safety and hammer. It had everything I wanted, and I didn't pay extra for things I didn't need.

Both are great. Just decide which you like best and get it. No wrong choice between them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You guys are the worst enablers... Maybe I do need both. Wait change that to want.

Btw does the Wiley Clapp actually have his name on the gun? I don't think it does say it anywhere on it..

And yeah I'd love to handle them in person, trouble is, my local gunstores usually only have a handful of Colt's and I'd doubt any would have the Talo or Clapp model given their relative rarity.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What about the Colt Gunsite Pistol?

What's the difference in the CCG and the CGP other than the sights and the CGP being a S70?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Btw does the Wiley Clapp actually have his name on the gun? I don't think it does say it anywhere on it..

No it does not.

It may however have "WC" in the serial number. Not sure on that one but I've played with both the Commander and GM and there is no moniker on it.

Someone who owns one (or both) will chime in soon no doubt about the serial number.

So NO, it's not like the Mosaad Ayoob variant by Ed Brown IIRC that had his signature on the slide. Wienerville looking imo but that's just me. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
other than serial number xxxxWCB, the WC Government Model doesn't bear his name. Ooops! did not see prior post

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
What about the Colt Gunsite Pistol?

What's the difference in the CCG and the CGP other than the sights and the CGP being a S70?
Looking at the website, the Gunsite gun is a lot more expensive, probably 500-600 more than the CCG... It does have a lot of nice features but to me, I do not like the looks of it...the huge-letter rollmark and front serrations, I can't deal with those on a gun that expensive.

And as for WC's name not being on the gun, that is good. I'm not a fan of a lot of writing on guns...one of the things I dislike about Ruger's is they have all these safety warnings and labels on the new ones... not a fan of the look.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I went to one of the LGS tonight (the one I always go to) looking for a Colt Govt Series 70 or DW Razorback 10mm. The Razorback was gone but lo and behold there was a Colt WC Govt. $1399.00. Near as I could tell with the naked eye it looked perfect (at least on the outside). I took my own advice and as soon as I touched it I did not put it down til I paid half on it and will pay the rest in a couple weeks.
You can not go wrong with either IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts