1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a Colt Wiley Clapp Government Model yesterday. I have never had a new pistol, always bought used ones. This is my birthday gift from my Mom.

After getting back from my FFL last night, I detail stripped the pistol and lubed it up with CLP. I also fitted a Harrison Design small radius firing pin stop since I installed one on my Commander and it works very well.

Went to the range this morning to see how it would do. I took 300 rounds, 200 rounds WWB 230gr and 100 rounds Rem-UMC. I used the Colt factory 7 round magazines that came with the pistol and a couple more of the same that I use at the range. Set up a target at 15 yards. Ran the gun wet, not dripping but wetter than normal. This is the last 50 or so rounds...

I am very impressed with this pistol. I had no Malfs whatsoever in the entire 300 rounds. None. Sights are good, trigger clean and about 4ish pounds. I do need to tweek the extractor a bit but nothing I can't do.

I had been looking at pistols with the same/similar features from both Colt and others. What sold me on this choice was the front strap checkering, the sights and the NM barrel. Next week I will run some 230gr Golden Sabers through the gun and if there are no issues, this will replace my '78 Commander as my daily carry gun.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Its a great looking gun and has all the features you'd want and nothing more. And no god-awful front cocking serrations!

Nice birthday present!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Excellent! Great looking pistol...not bad chootin' either.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find other things to my liking on the pistol as well. For one, the safety is just the right size for my shooting style. The long trigger is good too, I had thought it may not work for me but it does. While I had the gun apart, I noticed that great care had been taken in removing any machining marks on the inside. I had heard that this isn't a Custom Shop gun, but it came in a blue cardboard box. Anyone know? Brent?

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
That's one heck of a birthday present. Happy Birthday!! I'm glad it's working out for you.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I've been asking for a Pony since I was 4 years old, it took 50 years, but she finally made that happen...

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The pistol is a production model, but I believe it receives quite a bit of attention in the shop. I know that Pete Single does the machine checkering and the brass bead sight is not a normal Colt option on any of their production models. Maybe it does spend some quality time in the Custom Shop. The two WCs I looked at were very nicely finished. Perhaps they are all Tuesday guns?

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Mine is fantastic! I like it a lot, it's a favorite! It is a production gun, and it leaves the others behind.
Not inexpensive, and completely worth the difference.
Not sure how many they made, but I hope I don't miss out on getting another.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also want to thank Pete Single for the splendid checkering on the front strap and the bar stock mainspring housing, beveling the mag well and rounding the heel. Awesome work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sweeet gun, congrats and happy birthday. Great shooting by the way too. Kinda been keeping an eye on a Wiley 21st cent commander but a little too rich for my blood I think.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:
1000 rounds down the pipe now of which 200 rounds are 230gr Gold Dots and Golden Sabers. This is one sweet shooter. I did replace the grips with some plain checkered walnut and a Harrison small radius FPS.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Necrothread post...

Well, two years and 5 months, 18,000+ rounds and my Wiley Clapp Government is still a burly pistol.

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Very nice! I love a success story. You didn't ever say if it ended up replacing your '78 Commander as your EDC. Did it?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very nice! I love a success story. You didn't ever say if it ended up replacing your '78 Commander as your EDC. Did it?
Yes, it did.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Necrothread post...

Well, two years and 5 months, 35,000+ rounds and my Wiley Clapp Government is still a burly pistol.
Cool looking well used Clapp. I own two of them.
What kind of knife is in the picture?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Cool looking well used Clapp. I own two of them.
What kind of knife is in the picture?
HK Patrol automatic made by Benchmade.

I also had a brief affair with a Glock 19, but realized the error of my ways...

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The update is appreciated! I have 20,000 rounds on my WC Government and it's just starting to get broken in. I would have never imagined a 1911 that could run so well for so long.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts