1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I'm new to forum and relatively new the world of 1911s, although I've been shooting for 35 years.

My question is: Will a 9mm R1 Recon Complete Upper Assembly Fit a 45 ACP R1 Enhanced Frame?

A little more background.

I purchased a new, R1 Enhanced (single stack) in 45 ACP in November of 2020.

I have a line on a new, unused, complete upper (slide/barrel/spring assembly) in 9mm taken off an R1 Recon (double stack).

Although my R1 Enhanced is a single stack frame, I was hoping the R1 Recon slide/barrel assembly would fit my Enhanced frame, making it easy to convert the pistol from 45 ACP to 9mm.

My pistol is in "commander" form factor and so is the 9mm upper assembly I'm looking at.

Any insight or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 9mm ejector is longer than a 45. Both of my Rock Island 9mm 1911 A 2s use the Clark-Para ramped barrel.
Does your 45 use a ramped barrel? Rock Island has both in 45.
Hey Diesel,

A longer 9mm ejector is something I hadn't thought of and it makes sense. Because the completed slide assembly is online WITHOUT it's original frame, I don't have the ability to measure/compare ejectors. This is a factor to definitely consider and I appreciate the feedback.

Regarding barrels, both mine and the 9mm are standard (non-ramped).

Best.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey Diesel,

A longer 9mm ejector is something I hadn't thought of and it makes sense. Because the completed slide assembly is online WITHOUT it's original frame, I don't have the ability to measure/compare ejectors. This is a factor to definitely consider and I appreciate the feedback.

Regarding barrels, both mine and the 9mm are standard (non-ramped).

Best.
Hello. Can I put in my .02 cents worth. Some people have feeding problems using non ramped barrels in 9 MM. and some have problems with 9 MM magazines . Changing your ejector not a big job. Maybe the top end is for sale because it’s non ramped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello. Can I put in my .02 cents worth. Some people have feeding problems using non ramped barrels in 9 MM. and some have problems with 9 MM magazines . Changing your ejector not a big job. Maybe the top end is for sale because it’s non ramped.
Thanks @japsco113,

Good point about the ramped versus standard barrel and 9mm feeding reliability. The 9mm barrels are standard, so they were built for the R1 Recon to feed 9mm that way.

I think these 9mm barrel/slide assemblies are being sold separately because they're a new "takeoff" from a R1 Recon - which is a double stack frame. I think folks were buying the pistol for the double stack capability and then installing their own 9mm barrel/slide builds. So they have these new R1 Recon barrel/slide assemblies to dump.

But your other point of possible mag problems of running 9mm mags in the 45 frame might add the possibility of feeding problems is a good point. Dimensionally the mags are almost identical, but the offset of the mag from the chamber AND the possible ejector problem pose a risk of feeding reliability problems with the 9mm length cartridge.

RE swapping out the ejector - that is something i don't want to do. My end game was to see if I could just field strip the pistol, then reassemble it with the 9mm barrel/slide assembly and be GTG. (I'm a lazy a$$ sometimes - LOL).

Anyway, folks' responses are really helping me drill-down into the nitty-gritty of this particular issue and I am VERY APPRECIATIVE of everyone's help.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The ejector for 9mm will likely sit further in than the ejector for 45 because of rim size. Thus the 45 ejector may miss the 9mm rim and fail to eject the case.

I have a 1927 Argentine .45 that has been modified to use a Colt Series 80 9mm slide. In order to do the conversion, the ejector was changed to a 9mm type and the ejector side of the disconnector rail was milled on the 45 slide to allow it to function properly. My setup can now use at least six different cartridges by swapping parts. Below is the 9mm ejector and it works perfectly with all the different cartridges.

Rectangle Wood Font Material property Tints and shades

1 - 6 of 6 Posts