1911Forum banner

a 22 cal rifle or pistol if SHTF would be my?

• 22 cal would not be first choice

Votes: 360 75.8%
  • 22 cal is my first choice

Votes: 115 24.2%
21 - 40 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
A .22 would be a great addition to my toolbox in a SHTF scenario. But for most anything plausible and covering a wide range of situations, I am always going to reach from my AR-15. Yeah, I might blow the head off small game, but I also want to be able to put a serious hole in he head of two legged predators as well.

·
Administrator
72,065 Posts
It'd almost be worth it just to get rid of the kardashians.
If modern society broke down the Kardashian sisters would probably be the first ones to throw themselves off a bridge. Imagine life without selfies or a thousand colors of nail polish.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
My personal SHTF choices are threefold. You need a good basic handgun that's tolerant of abuse and neglect, that accepts the most commonly available ammo. That's the epitome of a Glock 17 or 19. The envelope needed to carry a 17 or 19 and 100 rounds of ammo on your person isn't much of a burden.

Next you need a standoff weapon. My choice is a 14.5" AR in 5.56. it's good out to as far as you'd ever need to shoot and it packs a lot of firepower into a lightweight package, especially if you keep it simple and uncluttered.

Finally, you're really going to want something more discreet than either of those if you have to use it for anything other than taking down large game or immediate defense. For that, there's nothing in the world better than a 10/22 pocket rifle with a can. It will fit into a small satchel or backpack. It will quietly take any game you might encounter, or vermin for disease control. In a pinch, it would serve well as a standoff weapon in tight quarters. Think about it, nothing has pinpoint accuracy like a .22LR. Whether it's a foot, hand, ear, eyeball, whatever... if you see it you can hit it inside 100 yards. You can carry a ton of ammo in ready to go 25 round increments, plus a lifetime supply will fit in a small vehicle.

The short barrel keeps even bulk pack ammo subsonic, so it's very quiet with the can attached. If you don't have one, you're also missing out on a ton of fun. Here's what I'm talking about if you've never seen one:

Looks like a fun 10/22! As a sidebar, have you had good luck with the Remington Subsonics pictured? I've had quite a bit of difficulty with them, and I have thousands of the things... they seem to be very inconstant, some are supersonic, others are so sub sonic that they don't cycle the action.

To return to topic, a .22LR would be at least a second, probably a third or forth gun for me, defiantly not my one and only. I would want a gun/caliber combination that is EFFECTIVE for both hunting medium sized game and EFFECTIVE for defensive use. The .22LR doesn't fit this requirement; while it is capable of killing both medium game and people, it is NOT effective at doing so.

...but depending on how good you are, a .22 in the eye at 25 yds will stop the fight as well as any other rifle
This isn't really true, even a shot through an eye may lack the energy to do enough damage to be instantly incapacitating... not to mention that 25y is NOT precision shooting ranges; its CQB, flash sight picture distance...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Looks like a fun 10/22! As a sidebar, have you had good luck with the Remington Subsonics pictured? I've had quite a bit of difficulty with them, and I have thousands of the things... they seem to be very inconstant, some are supersonic, others are so sub sonic that they don't cycle the action.

To return to topic, a .22LR would be at least a second, probably a third or forth gun for me, defiantly not my one and only. I would want a gun/caliber combination that is EFFECTIVE for both hunting medium sized game and EFFECTIVE for defensive use. The .22LR doesn't fit this requirement; while it is capable of killing both medium game and people, it is NOT effective at doing so.

This isn't really true, even a shot through an eye may lack the energy to do enough damage to be instantly incapacitating... not to mention that 25y is NOT precision shooting ranges; its CQB, flash sight picture distance...
Remington subs are The Worst Subs Ever Made. :(

I've had great results with CCI and stellar results with Fiocchi sub HP's (22FHPSUB).

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Remington subs are The Worst Subs Ever Made. :(

I've had great results with CCI and stellar results with Fiocchi sub HP's (22FHPSUB).
I agree, sadly, I bought TONS of the damned things several years ago- caught a 'good' deal.

I prefer CCI segmented subsonics; reliable, consistent, and a hands down the best bullet design for .22LR out there. Sadly, I haven't seen them in stock in a few years. I don't believe they've made a production run since the Newton shortage.

Whats the accuracy and terminal performance like with the Fiocchi?

·
Premium Member
5,010 Posts
I agree, sadly, I bought TONS of the damned things several years ago- caught a 'good' deal.

I prefer CCI segmented subsonics; reliable, consistent, and a hands down the best bullet design for .22LR out there. Sadly, I haven't seen them in stock in a few years. I don't believe they've made a production run since the Newton shortage.

The CCI segmented subsonic are a great choice.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
The CCI segmented subsonic are a great choice.
First, I apologize for the thread drift..

Yep, devastating on feral dogs/coyotes, maybe a bit of overkill for rabbits and coons... and IMPOSSIBLE to find. If anyone has a source that has them IN STOCK for $100/brick or better, I'll pay a finders fee... what I'm looking for is the CCI segmented subsonic @1050fps.

OK, to get back on topic, in a 1 gun world, where portability, sustenance hunting, and defense are all considerations, a 22LR rifle/carbine isn't it...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Peoples perception of SHTF bad times is warped IMO

They have this apocalyptic grandiose belief that people will be running around causing mayhem and death. I think the scenario that occured in Katrina is more apropos.

There will be a few instances of violence ( nothing a 22 RF is - would not be capable for ) but for the most part there will be chaos and water and food shortages.

In a mobile situation a 22 R F rifle / pistol would have more advantages than disadvantages . IMO of course.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
While I wouldn't choose a .22 as my primary SHTF weapon, I wouldn't feel to undergunned with it. I would use it as one person told me they would. Use it to get a better gun. With its small muzzle blast and its capability of being more easily suppressed there is a place for it.
Unfortunately, in my case, I will probably get taken down, or over whelmed, while standing in front of my open gun safe trying to decide which gun to take.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I used to keep a .22 take down and a brick in my plane, just in case I could walk away from a forced landing (aka crash) in a remote area. I also would have had an edc handgun with limited ammo.

·
Administrator
72,065 Posts
Unfortunately, in my case, I will probably get taken down, or over whelmed, while standing in front of my open gun safe trying to decide which gun to take.
My friend once said the same thing to me. If anybody broke into my place at 3am I'd be taken out before I could make up my mind which gun to grab! :dope:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't think a 22 would be my first choice if the SHTF, I would definitely have a few around though, it's just too useful of a weapon imo.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Will it have value, sure every firearm will have value. Will I spend my resources on some awesome 22 and a stockpile of ammo, nope.

To my mind the primary focus of preparation needs to be the first couple weeks, they will be a battle to survive and grab/keep all that you can for the long haul. A 22 will be near useless in those first couple weeks and during they're will be plenty of 22 around to grab.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
A 22 in the ear can be very convincing, korben.
At least in the country.

I guess if you have to fight your way out of the Bronx it would different.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

They've killed everything I've shot with them DRT (dead right there). The HP on them looks identical to the CCI, but the accuracy is simply phenomenal in my Savage FV-SR. It's a one hole group at 25 yards and opens up to about 0.75" at 50.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
They've killed everything I've shot with them DRT (dead right there). The HP on them looks identical to the CCI, but the accuracy is simply phenomenal in my Savage FV-SR. It's a one hole group at 25 yards and opens up to about 0.75" at 50.
Thanks for the update on the Fiochcci; I appreciate it. As I mentioned in another thread in the rimfire section, shortly after I posted here, I wandered into a local shop that had tons of CCI segmented on hand; no limits... I picked up 2 bricks- I may go back for more if time permits.

The accuracy sounds very good; its one of the thinks I like about the CCI; 1" at 50 all day long. The single biggest selling point for me however, is th segmented bullet. In addition to excellent to very good terminal performance on up to coyotes feral dogs (within the practical range limitations of course), the way the bullet 'fragments' for lack of a better term provides a margin of safety. The bullet simply comes apart when it hits something, and bleeds off energy rapidly. It doesn't ricochet... particularly helpful when shooting turtles or beavers in the ponds. I'd rather not have a round go flying into the great unknown.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Many seem to forget the noise of a 22 lr is no where near that of a 223 or larger. A 22 lr can also be suppresed ( where legal ) to a whisper level. And that has many many advantages .

·
Registered
312 Posts
The question was, "does it have value?"

I have observed that the items that have the most value to me are those that I want or need, right now. Items that I have stocked up don't seem valuable to me. I hope I find that I have something of great value to someone else, and they have something I need. In that case, 22lr might have great value. What have you got for me?

21 - 40 of 280 Posts