1911Forum banner

a 22 cal rifle or pistol if SHTF would be my?

• 22 cal would not be first choice

Votes: 360 75.8%
  • 22 cal is my first choice

Votes: 115 24.2%
61 - 80 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Is there ANY real documentation either here or abroad that proves the storage of food, water, and other barter would actually save your family and yourself in a catastrophic disaster
I'm WAY less prepared than I should be as far as supplies are concerned. But here's my answer to your question. I think preparedness increases your odds of survival. No, it doesn't give you a 100% guarantee, because as you said, if someone wants your stuff bad enough, they'll take it. Where having supplies comes in handy is during the very early stages of the incident. These early stages are where the drastic culling of human kind comes. If you can outlive the first 50% of the population who are not prepared, even if only by a few days or a few weeks, it gives you a massive head start on the real survival, which comes next. Where you say "a few more months of worry", I say those few months are the only ones that matter.

I've never fooled myself that I could accumulate the gear needed to survive for decades, or really even years. I liken it to the bear analogy...I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you. ;):rofl:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Again where is the Proof, rumors of wars, and economic collapse have you living a life of fear. Possible what you are really doing has become a HOBBY that gotten out of control, and has NO real possibility of working, but its fun to think it will. Yea you maybe fine for a while till You know exactly what's lacking for preparedness runs out water, fuel or spare parts what ever that might be, but there will always be just one more thing that won't be there. If you could only get THIS, and then If you could only get THAT. As for the bears, your really more afraid of the two footed ones than the four aren't YOU,

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm not; trying to start a spitting match here. My desire was to share with those who have eyes to see, and ears to hear. Open up to John 3:16 and realize the differance between eternaty vs. now

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm not; trying to start a spitting match here. My desire was to share with those who have eyes to see, and ears to hear. Open up to John 3:16 and realize the differance between eternaty vs. now
Ever hear of pray for rain, but dig a well while you're doing it?

If you don't agree with a certain mindset, politely smile and move on.
Have a nice day. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lets keep it OT - this is a gun forum, not church.

Besides, there is water on Mars and the solar system is billions of years old.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Again where is the Proof, rumors of wars, and economic collapse have you living a life of fear. Possible what you are really doing has become a HOBBY that gotten out of control, and has NO real possibility of working, but its fun to think it will. Yea you maybe fine for a while till You know exactly what's lacking for preparedness runs out water, fuel or spare parts what ever that might be, but there will always be just one more thing that won't be there. If you could only get THIS, and then If you could only get THAT. As for the bears, your really more afraid of the two footed ones than the four aren't YOU,
You're barking up the wrong tree. I don't live my life in fear, and I regret to say that preparedness for me only consists of the camping gear I use regularly and a few hundred rounds of zombie ammo...so it really doesn't even rise to the level of a hobby. Sorry to disappoint. Did you understand what I meant by the bear analogy? Your comment about two legged threats made me think you didn't.

The bottom line is this is fun stuff to ponder and theorize about, so why are you raining on our parade?

·
Registered
500 Posts
OK, I'm putting us back on topic.
With some of the ideas being stated, I have this conclusion: This isn't a hobby for me, it is serious. Now, I have some concerns about possible economic issues. Greece is a great example. But I have more concern about a very real issue I face every year. With winter comes ice, with ice comes power outages. And in our neck of the woods, two weeks of no electric is not only probable, it is historically proven. So we prepare to stay warm and fed for at least two weeks, including family. That means ten of us. According to Ms. Suppressive Fire we are actually good for better than a month right now for the ten of us. And she is stocking more. This does not include any animals we could butcher if needed. So, the little 22 does play in. Cold also means predators become more prevalent. 22 is cheaper and quieter. We have an abundance of squirrels in our yard due to the pecan and walnut trees. (Our "yard" is over 2 acres.) You can literally open the kitchen door with 22 in hand and get supper.
Would I go into defense mode with a 22? Not if I had other choices. But I will do everything I can with a 22 during my "bug-in" and save the centerfires for the security work.

·
Registered
23,012 Posts
This works for me.

With some of the ideas being stated, I have this conclusion: This isn't a hobby for me, it is serious. Now, I have some concerns about possible economic issues. Greece is a great example. But I have more concern about a very real issue I face every year. With winter comes ice, with ice comes power outages. And in our neck of the woods, two weeks of no electric is not only probable, it is historically proven. So we prepare to stay warm and fed for at least two weeks, including family. That means ten of us. According to Ms. Suppressive Fire we are actually good for better than a month right now for the ten of us. And she is stocking more. This does not include any animals we could butcher if needed. So, the little 22 does play in. Cold also means predators become more prevalent. 22 is cheaper and quieter. We have an abundance of squirrels in our yard due to the pecan and walnut trees. (Our "yard" is over 2 acres.) You can literally open the kitchen door with 22 in hand and get supper.
Would I go into defense mode with a 22? Not if I had other choices. But I will do everything I can with a 22 during my "bug-in" and save the centerfires for the security work.
Maybe the end of the world is not coming soon. But certainly localized events, or even not so localized events could place one in a situation where you have to really on your own resources for a period of time. Certainly some level of preparations makes sense for most people. And certainly a .22 rim fire firearm would be a useful thing to have in a lot of circumstances.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I always reach for my AR10 (yes it's an AR10 because it's Armalite) Carbine... Stops most anything. Not to worried about running and gunning, if it gets to that it will most likely be a mob I can't take out and in that case I am going out with a big bang...

My wife says if it is a zombie apocalypse for me to just shoot her in the head and get it over with.. I told her I can't I need an AG and Ammo bearer LOL

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had to comment on your cold statement, I live down south now and moved from WI area, I (opinion) think in a collapse scenario that those up north will be better off to a point. The general populace nut jobs that can't fend for themselves and look to the government to provide will flock to warmer climates...

BUT..living down south now I have found more like minded people willing to build a "coalition" of forces to protect and provide...

A lady at our church up north asked my wife one day about prepping.. She asked specifically what do we do about food, my wife told her we have some preparations but will partner with others who have food prepped also.

The lady at church asked "What if they don't want to partner" MY wife's response shocked this woman I thought it was funny. My wife stated "That's why we are very well armed.. Armed people make better partners :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Aside from personal defense, the 22lr is an exceedingly useful round. Small game gathering, pest control, practice...these are all things it is great at. It is like "small change"...you know, $5s, $1s, quarters, dimes...not like breaking a $20. It's the thing that you use in your normal day to day transactions...popping a squirrel or rabbit for the pot, taking out a chicken-thieving coon, taking out that nasty opossum that steals the dog and cat food, quietly taking out a sentry (oops, was THAT out loud?)...stuff like that. Consequently it will likely be in high demand since it will likely be used in more common "transactions". The .223, .308, .45. 9mm, and other larger, powerful rounds will be reserved for more specialized tasks such as defense (you HOPE this isn't a daily event!), taking larger game, long range work, or other less common events...sort of like how you use, but less frequently, your $20, $50, and $100 bills.

So, will a 22lr have use? Hell yeah!! It's the small change of ammo. Whether for actual use, or for barter, it will be in high demand for it's mundane day-to-day utility for those things that we are much more likely to encounter on a frequent basis than the zombie biker scenario.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Shtf

22lr,223/556, 9mm and finally my 45acp.
I have at least 1000 rounds for each, 2000 on the 223 and I know at least 2 guys with over 10,000 rounds of each of those.

I routinely shoot the 9mm and 45 acp at 100 yds with 3 inch groups slow fire into a plain sheet of white paper.

·
Registered
275 Posts
22lr,223/556, 9mm and finally my 45acp.
I have at least 1000 rounds for each, 2000 on the 223 and I know at least 2 guys with over 10,000 rounds of each of those.

I routinely shoot the 9mm and 45 acp at 100 yds with 3 inch groups slow fire into a plain sheet of white paper.
10,000 rounds is ammo hoarding....some never have enough ......just saying

·
Registered
499 Posts
If another democrat gets elected, we may all wish we had stocked up 10,000 rounds while we could afford it. I suspect it will make the "shortages" under Obama look mild.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
10,000 rounds is ammo hoarding....some never have enough ......just saying
10k rounds isn't much for one who shoots regularly, trains or competes... its not hard 5o burn through 1k rounds a month. Having seen more than one retail shortage of ammunition and reloading components, I've learned to aquire what I can, when I can. When I find a good deal, and have the disposable cash available, I'll buy.

When M198 was going for $1 a round or more, IF you could find it, I was shooting about 300- 500 rounds a month.

I did get caught short on my pet .22LR load ( had plenty of various other .22) and I've just been able to find it again. I've picked up 3k over the last month or so, and I'm nowhere close to done buying.

I only reload .45, but have enough components on hand- bought after the initial 2008 panic subsided- to last probably 5+ years of heavy shooting, which I haven't done in a while.

The line between hoarder and preparedness is rather blurry...I like to be able to shoot what and when I want, regardless of a market trend.

61 - 80 of 280 Posts