1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying Braveheart IWB holster and was wondering if the instuctor belts are made to hold a handgun.I have seen them with plastic reinforcements so I figured they could.Can anyone suggest places to buy them?

·
Super Moderator
3,114 Posts
The Wilderness Instructor belts are great. They are more comfortable than an equivalent leather belt and the manner in which they "buckle" permits the user to adjust it to precisely one's waist size.

The "original" model works fine as a gunbelt. The 5-stitch model is a bit stiffer, edge-to-edge, and should be even better. The polymer lined "combat shooter's" model is supposed to be stiffer still. Which level of stiffness one needs depends on the sort of holster one is using. An IWB doesn't need much support, as one's trousers are helping hold it up and "in". A holster with two widely spaced belt slots, like an Alessi CQC/S, a Waldon "Rattler" belt slide, or a Sparks #55BN will need less support than a holster with a relatively narrow single "fold over" belt loop. I've used one of the "original" belts for many years now. If I need to replace it at some point, I'll probably go with the 5-stitch model.

One of the only complaints about the Wilderness Instructor belt was that, for many years, it was only available in a 1.75" width. This works for most jeans and BDU's, but many trousers have belt loops that are too narrow to accomodate it. The Wilderness introduced a 1.5" width belt to address this situation some time ago.

Tony Kanaley, of Milt Sparks Holsters www.miltsparks.com now stocks the Wilderness belts too.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited 02-24-2001).]

·
Registered
335 Posts
And now they come in colors other than black... You can get a tan or an olive. Dillon is also stocking them.

However, I got mine from The Wilderness folks directly. I happen to be in Phoenix last October with some time on my hands, so I went by. Very nice folks. I had gotten a 1.75 that turned out to be too large for me. The took the buckle off that belt and made me a new one that fit... while I waited.

I still like my MS leather for daily wear around the office. But the Wilderness goes with me to the range most of the time.

------------------
Bubba
www.dbl-tap.com

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
They're VERY capable...I just bought the 5-stitch 1.5"...It's perfect with a Sooper Hooper stuffed with an all steel SA...and they're heavy...If you order direct...they will make it any size you want...This can be very helpful...VERY helpful...They are very, very professional and will see to it you are satisfied...Couldn't think of a better buying experience...I think Gilbert helped me, as well as a very nice lady, whos' name escapes me, but not her kindness and professionalism...

They have LOTS of good gear BTW...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna go with the 1.5" because some of my pants do have smaller belt loops.I was wondering if the 5 stitch would be strong enough for my Para Ordnance p-12 .45 in a Braveheart iwb holster, but you guys seem to think the 5 stitch is fine?Do you think the belt with polymer insert would be overkill?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have tried several brands, but my favorite (and currentlt used) belt is the Wilderness 1.5 inch with the polymer stiffener in it. A great belt.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Like I said...You should contact Wilderness,
They'll help with your questions...They make them and they are shooters...Good luck...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I own the Wilderness 1.5" Combat Shooter's Model (plastic insert) and it is great. I primarily use it with my KyTac SuperHooper. I have never tried the 5 stitch model, but it might be better for an IWB holster. The CSM "bows out" (for lack of a better term) when using my Braveheart because of the stiffness. For an outside the waistband holster, I would say go with the CSM, but for IWB the 5 stitch will probably conceal better. Also, you do not need as much lateral support for an IWB.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
It's good to hear you like your CSM, I asked about it when I called Wilderness, they actually talked me out of it when I told them I'd be wearing a SooperHooper w/a Steel Champion in 45...I'm certainly more than comfortable with mine...I wear a lot of gear everyday though...Some getting used to "might" be required for the extra stiffness if your not used to it...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

C

·
0 Posts
This thread got me motivated to get one... i've procrastinated too long.

I called them, and told 'em I'd be wearing a BraveHeart IWB rig, and wanted a 1.5" belt. They recommended the 5-stitch as being stiff enough for IWB, and probably OWB too. She said the 1.5" 5-stitch is actually stiffer than the 1.75" 5-stitch.

They suggest you measure you actual waist size, and order that size. I wear 34" pants, but my waist actually measures 36", so she said to order a 36. Just fyi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts