1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if they do and why if they don't. I have a Colt series 70 Govt model and would like something more concealable.

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
It will go in place, but may not function well. The receiver rails of an OACP (or Commander) are shorter than a Government Model's and the recoil spring abutment in the frame is farther back. This makes up for some of the loss in slide travel going to the shorter slide. An OACP slide on a GM frame will not travel as far to the rear as it should and may not eject reliably or pick up the next round for feeding reliably. I have read of Commander slides working ok on Government frames - and some not - but don't know if an Officer's would even have a chance.

A good gunsmith could machine your Government frame to take the Officer's slide, effectively converting it into a Commander frame. A really good gunsmith might could get it to run without cutting up the frame. It would not be cheap. Or you might get lucky. If it has been done, somebody will be along to say so.

Considering what a Series 70 goes for these days, you could probably trade out for less than the cost of a new slide, barrel, recoil spring setup, and the installation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, now I understand why it has not been done before. Thank you Mr. Watson for your advice and information.

My intent and thought was to save some money by just adding a different slide onto my current frame. I guess I will either purchase an Officer's Model or just keep my Glock 30. I just so love the way my series 70 fits in my hand though....

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've owned a Colt Series 80 CCW model that came with a Commander slide on a Officer's alloy frame. Never jammed on me once and I regret selling it. That arrangement might suit you for a carry gun, they are very concealable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Colt made a run of "Recon" pistols about 5 or so yrs back. That was as you describe. An officers slide on a commander frame. Worked great but never made much since to me. It's harder to conceal the frame of an 1911 then the slide. So your paying for a full length frame get the full lenght slide or at least the commander.

Clinth

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The dust cover of the govt. model is longer than the dust cover on a commander or officers model. I modification would need to be made I think.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have one called "Colt Commanding Officer" which is a stainless full size commander frame and an officer slide,and there are also alot of limited versions of this set up that Colt has offered over the years as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts