1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have a Colt Commander 1991A1 4 1/4" barrel and I was wondering if I could use a full length slide?
I have really gotten into my 45 this year and have replaced the safety with a beaver tail grip safety, installed a ambi safety,Installed a adjustable trigger and have a low mount rear site on the way.
I also have plans to put a Wilson Combat speed funnel on to. Now I was reading in the Wilson catalog on the back where the sizeing of parts chart is and states colt commander with full size frames? Now my only downfall on my 45 project is I would really like a full size slide instead.
Now can anyone tell me if 1) that I can use a full length slide on my commander frame and 2) how do I know that mine is full size frame?
I am sorry if this is a stupid question but I have limited knowledge on 1911 pistols any help would be helpfull thanks. :confused: Please e-mail me at
[email protected] Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
1.) that I can use a full length slide on my commander frame and 2) how do I know that mine is full size frame?

The obvious way to tell the difference between the commander and the full size GI is by the length of the dustcover. It is shorter on the commander. If you try to put a full size slide on a commander frame there will be a gap between the dustcover and the recoil spring tunnel of the slide, exposing the spring and guide rod.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is thier a measure ment on the dust cover so I can compare mine to a govt frame? just need rough measurement since I dont have a full size slide to see that way.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
The easiest way is to measure from the slide stop hole to the end of the dustcover. On a commander the distance from the edge of the hole to the end of the dustcover is approx 2.280 on the full size frame it is about 2.250.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys,
Thanks for the info I called Wilson combat they basically told me yes full size for magazines BUT! the dust cover is shorter which means I might have to trade mine for a full size one.
Your from PA me too! Chester County! Valley Forge area!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts