1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, and I really don't think so, but something happened to me today that was just too coincidental to ignore. My wife and I went shopping at a local Walmart, and I was carrying in my Thunderwear Holster, as I frequently do. Upon entry to the store, their "magnetic security" device alarmed. As it happened, someone else had been exiting the store and crossed through the device about the same time I was entering. He was stopped, but was only carrying dry goods. The wife and I went about our business of shopping, and I didn't think much else of it. When we finished shopping and exited the store (we had mainly groceries and school supplies.....nothing metallic at all, no clothing that would have had magnetic sensors, etc.), the alarm went off again. Someone else was exiting the store just behind me, and after they checked both of us, he was only carrying dry goods as well, so it was difficult to determine whether it was me or him that set it off. My point is, I always thought that those types of things were purely magnetic sensors that picked up a signal from a magnetized tag on merchandise. There are no signs posted stating that weapons are not allowed, etc., but I'm wondering if Walmart has set up their sensors as metal detectors? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I carry into Wal-Mart and others frequently, and have never seen any reaction from store security devices.

·
Registered
492 Posts
i've carried into wal-mart, k-mart, best buy, etc., etc., etc. and never set off any alarm.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security."
--Benjamin Franklin--

·
Registered
963 Posts
No.

------------------
A man with a watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches isn't so sure

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Store security sensors are designed to pick up particular signals, types of signals, or signal signatures from marked items or special tags. They are not metal detectors, per se.

That is why when you do go to Wal-Mart and buy that crescent wrench, it doesn't set off the alarm.

Now the detectors you see at court houses, some schools, and the airport, those are metal detectors and will discover your gun.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The little "loss prevention" tags/stickers used in WalMart, K-Mart, etc. contain a tiny battery and wire which (as was explained to me by a loss prevention officer at a store I once worked) act as a little transmitter. The "gates" are recievers that pick up this very, very low frequency radio wave. The tags are usually disabled at the checkout counter, however, by simply scratching or rubbing the tag, it re-activates it. Some of these tags have a life of around 2 years.

I bought a new wallet and walked around with it for 6 months, no problem. Then, I noticed when I went into some stores, the security alarm would sound. The same thing happened when I left. I should have thought to check earlier, but I was cleaning out my wallet and tucked in one of the compartments in the seam was a security tag. I assume this tag somehow was reactivated.

Next time you purchase an item with one of these tags on or in it, take it apart..look for the pin-head sized battery. It's fascinating technology.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts